The Student Room Group

hellppp me with A level choices please?

hello, this is my first post.
im in year 11 and im preparing to pick alevels for sixth form next year. i have no idea really. well i am thinking of some subjects but im not too certain. i was originally going to pick history, maths, fine art and english lit, however my stupid school has now changed the whole format so i have to choose between history and art which is so so annoying because i love them both and they do go well together.
now i am thinking english lit, english lang(not combined), history and maths. or english lit,history, maths and psychology.
what do you think of these options? do they keep my options open, because im not too sure what i want to do as a career? im thinking the options are too essay based. please give me some advice, and recommendation from experience.

thanks x
What sort of history? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by boods8897
What sort of history? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

modern and ancient
Original post by kathleenodonovan
im in year 11 and im preparing to pick alevels for sixth form next year. i have no idea really. well i am thinking of some subjects but im not too certain. i was originally going to pick history, maths, fine art and english lit, however my stupid school has now changed the whole format so i have to choose between history and art which is so so annoying because i love them both and they do go well together.
now i am thinking english lit, english lang(not combined), history and maths. or english lit,history, maths and psychology.
what do you think of these options? do they keep my options open, because im not too sure what i want to do as a career? im thinking the options are too essay based. please give me some advice, and recommendation from experience.

thanks x

I generally advise against taking English language and literature as separate subjects as many schools do them combined and there is a danger that universities will still count it as being combined. For that reason I'd say the second option is better (and gives you more of a range/is less essay based as you say), but really either is fine if you only kept one of the English for A2, and it might not even matter then. Good luck! :smile:
From my experience I regret picking psychology, it is tremendously boring at the moment. I wish i took english lit instead, i also do maths history and biology alongside psychology.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5

thanks x

Wouldn't suggest doing Lit and lang as separate subjects. Some uni's consider it too specified and won't accept people with both.

I think the second one's a good mix tbh

thanks x

Id pick the second option- english lit, history, maths and phychology
Original post by Ben4
From my experience I regret picking psychology, it is tremendously boring at the moment. I wish i took english lit instead, i also do maths history and biology alongside psychology.

Posted from TSR Mobile

in my opinion, Psychology is much more interesting than English Lit.
I'd go with the last option, It keeps your options open a bit more. However, English lit is A LOT harder than GCSE so I'd only take if you get an A at GCSE. Good luck, but if your school does Sociology, take that, it's amazing :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just a warning, I loved history at gcse and managed to get an a* but since I took it at AS level I completely despised it. In my opinion it's completely different to how you're taught it in previous years but that might be just me and because it was based on the Vietnam war. Psychology seems like a very interesting subject but if I were you, I'd take the subject you think you'll enjoy the most and that you'll get more out of

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also, if I'm honest, all are good alevels and unless you want to do a specific degree at uni, they don't really care which alevels you take.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry one more comment. :tongue: you will do best if you take subjects you simply enjoy. Trust me, you won't survive alevels doing subjects that you don't like.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks everybody! I'm still not sure, but thanks for all the input xxx

Quick Reply

Latest