The Student Room Group

Learning to ride a bike as an adult

I used to get really frustrated learning as a child that I think I drove my parents crazy with my tantrums, so we all gave up on me learning back then. :redface:

Has anyone here done it? How long did it take you? I'm trying to find a new hobby to get me out of the house and this is something I've always regretted not doing. What's stopping me from doing it are mainly the horror stories of road accidents, the costs, and not knowing where to start really. Also I have a neck injury so that makes me extra anxious about any accidents/falling over.

Any advice on buying a bike? Courses to take?
(edited 9 years ago)
also interested as next year i might cycle to uni as i'll be off campus
Just pad up, get a bike and have a go. That's the best way (assuming we're talking about push bikes)
Reply 3
I learned a couple of years ago at the age of 30 while on holiday in Holland. The theory was that it was all nice & flat, perfect place to learn....no! I managed to book us on a centre parcs type camp in what seemed to be the only hilly part of the country lol

I persevered & by the end of the week I was happily riding along but didn't quite master the art of stopping, using either trees or grass banks instead of the brakes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did it early last year at 20. Just practised for 30 minutes a time and by the end of the week I was riding.
Original post by SirMasterKey
Did it early last year at 20. Just practised for 30 minutes a time and by the end of the week I was riding.

Did you do it on your own or with an instructor?
Original post by AntiLearner
Did you do it on your own or with an instructor?

My flat mates came out and watched/supported my valiant attempts/drank wine and ate chocolates whilst watching.

First day they pushed me but after that I did it all myself.
Original post by SirMasterKey
My flat mates came out and watched/supported my valiant attempts/drank wine and ate chocolates whilst watching.

First day they pushed me but after that I did it all myself.

That's reassuring that it didn't take you too long to get the hang of it. I'm going to give it a go.
That's reassuring that it didn't take you too long to get the hang of it. I'm going to give it a go.

Good luck! :h:
Reply 9
Learn on grass so it doesn't hurt like **** when you inevitably fall off.
Just thought I'd bump this with an update in case anyone else is considering it. I borrowed a bike, took the pedals off, and practiced balancing first. Taking strides with my feet uphill and downhill. Then just pushing myself off with my feet and letting myself go downhill. Then put the pedals back on, and after about an hour in total, I was cycling uphill and downhill in a straight line. I struggle with manoeuvres like turns, but I'm sure practice will help with that. The first few seconds when you are trying to trust yourself to maintain your balance are the hardest, but once you get going I found it surprisingly easy! Good luck to any other adults who are nervous about learning.
Just thought I'd bump this with an update in case anyone else is considering it. I borrowed a bike, took the pedals off, and practiced balancing first. Taking strides with my feet uphill and downhill. Then just pushing myself off with my feet and letting myself go downhill. Then put the pedals back on, and after about an hour in total, I was cycling uphill and downhill in a straight line. I struggle with manoeuvres like turns, but I'm sure practice will help with that. The first few seconds when you are trying to trust yourself to maintain your balance are the hardest, but once you get going I found it surprisingly easy! Good luck to any other adults who are nervous about learning.

Great news. Congrats. :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I used to get really frustrated learning as a child that I think I drove my parents crazy with my tantrums, so we all gave up on me learning back then. :redface:

Has anyone here done it? How long did it take you? I'm trying to find a new hobby to get me out of the house and this is something I've always regretted not doing. What's stopping me from doing it are mainly the horror stories of road accidents, the costs, and not knowing where to start really. Also I have a neck injury so that makes me extra anxious about any accidents/falling over.

Any advice on buying a bike? Courses to take?

I'm a keen cyclist!

You don't need lessons on how to ride a bike. You just gotta go for it, and just be sensible on the roads - using your arms to indicate, lights at night, etc.

I started learning when I was 8. I just went for it. I got onto a bike, without stabilisers, and immediately knew what to do. If I can do it, anyone can.

Easiest/safest way to learn, is to go to a park/field - so if you fall off, you'll have a soft landing. You only need to do it bit by bit. Just get on a bike, pedal for a few minutes and stop. Don't go up hills, down hills etc, do it on flat land. Once you feel comfortable with pedalling and getting your balance, then start using the gears and try out small hills.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending