The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

So I hear Aspas has scored a hatrick in 4 minutes :colonhash:
Reply 6241
What the ****? Why Alex?

Edit: haha oops, wrong thread
Original post by JamesR12
Begovic is pretty over-rated. Phenomenal shot stopper but he has mistakes in him.

Like **** are we ever getting Cech. He's got Madrid, PSG, Arsenal and probably an Italian team or two as a better option than us.

PSG have Sirigu who they rate highly. I think they're more conscious of FFP.
Arsenal have Szczęsny - Wenger stuck with him through his development years. He's not going to replace him with a more experienced player now.
The Italian clubs generally have less money than the English clubs.

He got 2 years left so he won't be cheap but he's now into his 11th year at Chelsea. I think Abramovich will let him go to Liverpool/Arsenal if he asks. How do you refuse such a loyal player that?

Original post by The.Joker
Great post Zerf.

I agree, Gerrard definitely isn't a Rodgers type of player but the thing is Gerrard is still useful for us if he is utilised properly. Technically he's still very good but like you pointed out his lack of pace and mobility is problematic. You could see yesterday how he still can make a nuisance of himself, especially in the second half. If he gets time and space on the ball he's able to bring others into play and even set them up especially when playing as an AM. Plus the fact he's up field he's able to latch onto loose balls in the box like Lampard and his late runs into the box and he still has a shot on him too.

Gerrard certainly doesn't have the right to start every match as no man is bigger than the club. But he definitely has enough to warrant him playing. I would say we should slowly phase him out of the team, first by him playing once a week and then bringing him on at 60/70 mins to change the game. A fresh Gerrard coming on for 20 mins as an AM will impact the game far more than him playing straight for 90 mins as DM, you can see he gets tired as the game goes on. Another thing is that Gerrard is our captain as he's essentially been 'Mr Liverpool' for 16 years. We lose a lot of experience if he doesn't start the match but I think Henderson is capable of stepping up to the plate and leading Liverpool. Hendo has improved loads since signing for us and he's looked good in the past two matches and hopefully he's found his form from last season.

If we offer enough money I'm sure Mou will let him go, especially as Chelsea are far, far better than us. We are fighting for 4th whereas they are trying to win the league as 'invincibles'.

Why thank you :colondollar:

Imo Gerrard would work in a top side where the others can retain the ball well and ping it about. If you put him in Chelsea or Man City or Bayern, he would thrive and look great. He'd struggle in a side like Hull though.

Yea I think we need to use Gerrard for the best of the team and manage him as an option rather than the default.

Original post by nabil921
Cech isn't a long term solution some like de gea is but I'd doubt we'd get him ,

Cech is only 32.. he could be our keeper for 4-8 years. You think we would be able to get De Gea from Man Utd? What are you smoking?
Original post by AR_95
So I hear Aspas has scored a hatrick in 4 minutes :colonhash:

Rodgers still wouldn't have given him a chance. Borini hasn't had a look in either.
That Arsenal result is massive..

At least Everton drew and then Spurs and Southampton lost.
Aspas getting a hat-trick is unbelievable in itself, let alone that time frame.
Screw Origi, bring back Aspas xD
Sanchez FC get their customary late winner (not that they didn't deserve it).
it's a shame; get a stab of bitterness every time that man scores for them.

at least spurs, everton and soton dropped points.
up th 8th, suddenly not looking at ridiculously depressing! :smile:

looking city city and chelsea will run away and hopefully soton will carry on dropping points (1 from last 9 i believe)
then we just gotta worry about keeping in touch with united and arsenal
but i'm getting ahead of myself; on to sunderland!
Original post by Zerforax
That Arsenal result is massive..

Huge result - not just for the points, but the mental lift, too.

Gutted for Southampton - but the Alderweireld injury caused them to play the last portion of the game with just 10 men. Two tough results for them, they need to show the character to bounce back. I'm convinced they'll get a Europa League spot.
Anyone still know why you guys didn't sign Remy?
Reply 6250
Original post by Yawn-er

Because Lambert & Mario are better.

Hehehehe
Original post by Yawn-er

Failed a medical due to insurance reasons I think.
Original post by Yawn-er

Lol why would you want Remy when you can buy Balotelli? :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Remy would of been the perfect backup to Sturridge....
Original post by Yawn-er

Something in the medical.
Original post by samir12
Failed a medical due to insurance reasons I think.

Something in the medical.

But not serious enough to stop us/Newcastle/QPR/Marseille from signing him?

I wonder if you that was just an excuse to cancel the transfer, and you guys had another player lined up...

Or maybe the medical team really did screw up on this one...
Original post by Yawn-er
But not serious enough to stop us/Newcastle/QPR/Marseille from signing him?

I wonder if you that was just an excuse to cancel the transfer, and you guys had another player lined up...

Or maybe the medical team really did screw up on this one...

A medical doesnt determine if a player is to be signed or not, it flags issue and then a business decision is made by the club. Perhaps the concern was that Sturridge was injury prone and therefore we didn't want to take a risk on another in Remy?

Don't forget how little Remy has played for Chelsea. Makes it a lot less likely that he will get injured.
Original post by IceJJFish(II)
Yeah, you could've gone for him this summer tbh. Even Valdes would be a step up, though Mignolet is not helped by an unsettled defence in front of him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Valdes is supposedly back training with us. I don't understand why we're in for him, he's not going to take De Gea's place and Lindegaard is a perfectly able #2. Just makes me increasingly paranoid that we're going to lose De Gea to Madrid next summer.

A medical doesnt determine if a player is to be signed or not, it flags issue and then a business decision is made by the club. Perhaps the concern was that Sturridge was injury prone and therefore we didn't want to take a risk on another in Remy?

Don't forget how little Remy has played for Chelsea. Makes it a lot less likely that he will get injured.

It's probably just a case of finances. Chelsea can afford to take a gamble on a 100k p/w player who won't necessarily play every week, whereas Liverpool can't. Borini's decision to stay probably affected it too, he's on quite a hefty wage isn't he?
Borini is on like 40k
Original post by sr90
Valdes is supposedly back training with us. I don't understand why we're in for him, he's not going to take De Gea's place and Lindegaard is a perfectly able #2. Just makes me increasingly paranoid that we're going to lose De Gea to Madrid next summer.

Wouldn't mind Lloris myself to replace DDG. I can't see him staying unfortunately, when Madrid come calling it's bye bye Manchester :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest