The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
C3 upcoming mock test - help?

It's coming up to Christmas time, when we would get mock tests once again. My class would most likely
have a C3 Mock test before we break up on the 19th December.

Any tips recommendations for preparing for the C3 mock test. I want nothing less than 80% to prove to myself,
although I only need a '70%' (b) in the exam for my university choice.

My Plan:
1) Re-watch all of exam solutions videos.
2) Do textbook questions on primarily trigonometry although mix it up with other topics.
3) Past papers from Edexcel [Jan 2009-June 2013]
4) Solomon papers.
5) Silver/Gold papers. (Which are posted on this thread :smile: )

I'm planning on leaving June 2014 towards the real exam, other than that how is my revision plan above?
The timeline for my revision plan is from Dec 4th - Dec 12th/17th; would I have enough time to cover everything in
my plan for the C3 Mock? :redface:

Wow, that's a lot to do in 1-2 weeks.
I think i would barely manage watching all the exam solution videos in that time!

I would space the papers out over a longer period of time.
Good luck with your plan though :smile:
Original post by Paras Agarwal
well major major respect to you for your mock score! i suggest you give edexcel june 13 a try . #HARDESTPAPEROFALLTIME

It's overrated.
Original post by zee600
My teacher posted a bronze paper on his website....can you tell me how to get hold of the gold and silver ones? Plz..

They were put together by Graham from Edexcel (and his friend, Mark), so your teacher can get them all as they are produced from Graham's Emporium.

His website says:
"This free website is intended only for the use of teachers of Edexcel's Mathematics specifications."
and
"The information provided in this site is for the exclusive use of Edexcel personnel and authorized users.
This information is not meant for publication, reproduction or distribution to any non-company staff or unauthorized user."

Here, "authorized user" means teachers of Edexcel Maths.

It makes you wonder why they are also on other websites.......
C3 upcoming mock test - help?

It's coming up to Christmas time, when we would get mock tests once again. My class would most likely
have a C3 Mock test before we break up on the 19th December.

Any tips recommendations for preparing for the C3 mock test. I want nothing less than 80% to prove to myself,
although I only need a '70%' (b) in the exam for my university choice.

My Plan:
1) Re-watch all of exam solutions videos.
2) Do textbook questions on primarily trigonometry although mix it up with other topics.
3) Past papers from Edexcel [Jan 2009-June 2013]
4) Solomon papers.
5) Silver/Gold papers. (Which are posted on this thread :smile: )

I'm planning on leaving June 2014 towards the real exam, other than that how is my revision plan above?
The timeline for my revision plan is from Dec 4th - Dec 12th/17th; would I have enough time to cover everything in
my plan for the C3 Mock? :redface:

Which matters more, your mark in the mock or your mark in the real thing next June?

Put another way, I think that you should be leaving some more of the papers for next spring, before the real exam.
How long would C3 Trig take to master in terms of days?

I need to fully understand 1) double angle. 2) addition formulae. 3) factor formula. 4) that Rcos0 thing.

I was planning on watching exam-solution videos, understanding the formula's and followed up with past paper questions.

C3 trig is making me sick. I'm watching examsolutions too, but do u attempt the textbook exercises? they seem quite difficult? How do you revise for this x
Does anyone have a link that says everything that I need to remember in the exam, such as trig function rules, what differentiates/ integrates into what and generally anything else like that. I could also use the same sort of thing for C4. Thanks!
Original post by Its Andy
Does anyone have a link that says everything that I need to remember in the exam, such as trig function rules, what differentiates/ integrates into what and generally anything else like that. I could also use the same sort of thing for C4. Thanks!

thats all in the text book!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Original post by Its Andy

I've been using this for C3 and I think it contains the sort of thing you're looking for. Not sure if the C4 one is any good since I haven't started learning it yet but I imagine it's the same:

http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/resources/a%20level%20revision/C3.pdf
http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/resources/a%20level%20revision/C4.pdf
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by PinkElephant16
C3 trig is making me sick. I'm watching examsolutions too, but do u attempt the textbook exercises? they seem quite difficult? How do you revise for this x

I've mastered every topic for C3 except for Trig [1/2 of it still left to cover]
I watch exam solutions but I'm doing some C3 textbook exercises and some solomon questions which are harder but should help build my confidence.

How are you going on about learning C3 trig besides examsolutions?
Reply 49
Our class of just 3 have also learnt all the Core 3 content. Past papers are going okay.

We had a mock exam today. We did the June 2014 Paper and I actually found it a bit difficult and we were not provided with a formula booklet!
Reply 50
Original post by grn
I've been using this for C3 and I think it contains the sort of thing you're looking for. Not sure if the C4 one is any good since I haven't started learning it yet but I imagine it's the same:

http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/resources/a%20level%20revision/C3.pdf
http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/resources/a%20level%20revision/C4.pdf

I'll add the C3 link to the main post later. Thanks!
Grr was doing Edexcel last year moved school and doing OCR this year. Definitely prefer Edexcel, probably use this thread I guess until an OCR one is created. How far are you guys through the A2 course?
Original post by Super199
Grr was doing Edexcel last year moved school and doing OCR this year. Definitely prefer Edexcel, probably use this thread I guess until an OCR one is created. How far are you guys through the A2 course?

Done c3 c4 s2 m3 Nd fp2. starting fp3 and m4 soon ! Exciting!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Done c3 c4 s2 m3 Nd fp2. starting fp3 and m4 soon ! Exciting!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ooo doing those next year. How hard would you say Fp2 was? Like in terms of C3/C4?
Hey guys. For those doing Further Maths at A2, I've started threads for FP2 and FP3.

Further Pure 2: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3009791&p=52041261#post52041261

Further Pure 3: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3009805
Original post by Super199
ooo doing those next year. How hard would you say Fp2 was? Like in terms of C3/C4?

much much harder. FP2 is probably the hardest module out there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
much much harder. FP2 is probably the hardest module out there.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Doesn't look too hard. Except the complex number stuff seems weird/ harder. Everything else just seems like C3/4.
Original post by MathMeister
Doesn't look too hard. Except the complex number stuff seems weird/ harder. Everything else just seems like C3/4.

Well most people arent able to handle it, lol not everyone is as smart as us in mathematical terms (no bragging intended). i tend to tell it jow it is generally. Complex numbers is a chapter which baffles most people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well most people arent able to handle it, lol not everyone is as smart as us in mathematical terms (no bragging intended). i tend to tell it jow it is generally. Complex numbers is a chapter which baffles most people.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I love core/pure- Maybe that's why haha
- root (-1) doesn't even make much sense anyway. I'm still trying to get my head around it lol (made progress)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Complex Numbers is fairly easy. It's just locus that may give people a hard time. Even then, it isn't that hard. You just need to have a thorough understanding of the topics being covered. Some people just learn how to do the working out but don't actually grasp the concepts needed to understand the topic which is the main reason why they aren't able to apply their knowledge to work around questions they've never seen.

With regards to being "smart in mathematical terms", you do not have to be smart to attain high grades or understand the content. There are plenty of students who are taught very well by excellent teachers who give them an in depth understanding of the content. Those who self-teach Further Maths and have a thorough understanding of the content and grasp all concepts are the smart students.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending