The Student Room Group

Cambridge Maths UMS Pooling Average?

What's the average UMS for Cambridge Maths applicants that will get automatically pooled. I remember reading that across all subjects, it was around 93% in 2014, but Maths is very competitive and therefore must have higher requirements for being pooled?
Reply 1
I'm afraid that Maths and Medicine are exempt from auto-pooling. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :frown:
Original post by TVIO
I'm afraid that Maths and Medicine are exempt from auto-pooling. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :frown:

Nah it's fine, it's good to know. Thanks! But there still is pooling, just not auto-pooling?
Reply 3
Original post by joe12345marc
Nah it's fine, it's good to know. Thanks! But there still is pooling, just not auto-pooling?

Yes you can be pooled.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Yes you can be pooled.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but is a 92.8 Best 3 UMS average enough to be auto-pooled for Computer Science w/Maths at Cambridge, or is it strictly 93%?
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but is a 92.8 Best 3 UMS average enough to be auto-pooled for Computer Science w/Maths at Cambridge, or is it strictly 93%?

That will depend on college to college. I would recommend that you send the college an email with this enquiry as they can give you a better answer to this. I'm only suggesting this as we've seen a range of cases here
Original post by Slowbro93
That will depend on college to college. I would recommend that you send the college an email with this enquiry as they can give you a better answer to this. I'm only suggesting this as we've seen a range of cases here

Do you mean this as the "auto-pooling" UMS percentage varies a lot? So 93% is just used as a representative average?
Reply 7
Original post by ComputerMaths97

The auto-pool is 93%* no rounding. BUT if you are that close you would be very very unlucky not to get an interview anyway.

*Assuming it stays the same for 2015/16
Reply 8
Original post by Slowbro93

No the auto-pooling criteria applies across all colleges.

The decision to pool or not for UMS below the auto-pool cut-off is, of course, up to the individual colleges.
Original post by jneill
No the auto-pooling criteria applies across all colleges.

The decision to pool or not for UMS below the auto-pool cut-off is, of course, up to the individual colleges.

You've phrased it a lot better :tongue:
Might sound daft but what do you mean by automatic pooling? Is that good or bad? Thanks.
Original post by sarkar97
Might sound daft but what do you mean by automatic pooling? Is that good or bad? Thanks.

There is a system in Cambridge whereby if your chosen college (for whatever reason) doesn't want to give you an offer, they can give your file out for other colleges to look at, who may then decide to give you an offer at their college instead. This system is known as pooling. Students who have a certain average UMS percentage in any subject except Maths or Medicine must be automatically pooled by their college if said college doesn't want to give them an offer. If they don't meet that average, it's the college's decision whether or not to pool them.

It's a good thing.
Original post by DJMayes
There is a system in Cambridge whereby if your chosen college (for whatever reason) doesn't want to give you an offer, they can give your file out for other colleges to look at, who may then decide to give you an offer at their college instead. This system is known as pooling. Students who have a certain average UMS percentage in any subject except Maths or Medicine must be automatically pooled by their college if said college doesn't want to give them an offer. If they don't meet that average, it's the college's decision whether or not to pool them.

It's a good thing.

I see, thanks. So, since I am applying for Maths, if the college I were to apply for wouldn't give me an offer, then what will happen to my application as it doesn't get pooled?
Original post by sarkar97
I see, thanks. So, since I am applying for Maths, if the college I were to apply for wouldn't give me an offer, then what will happen to my application as it doesn't get pooled?

Either the college chooses to pool you, in which case other colleges might give you an offer, or you will receive a straightforward rejection.
Haha very competitive. So in your opinion what's the benchmark average UMS % for Maths needed to be classified as a strong applicant?

Appreciate you taking your time to answer my questions.

Quick Reply