The Student Room Group

Should white people pay black people money for unpaid work from slavery?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DiddyDec
Don't be ridiculous. Can you not see that this is a "Blame the White Man" Thread.

Are you suggesting that Italians are not white men?
Original post by MrMango
I've not said anything that is unture.. or are you saying its all a myth?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think we're saying that mangoes go off quickly and should be squished to juice.
Original post by Hopefulbunny
Are you suggesting that Italians are not white men?

No. White people just can't be a victim.
Original post by Seems Legit
Yet you're using a Japanese username. Typical Otaku. (Wannabe Japanese)

An otaku is not a wannabe Japanese person; an otaku is a Japanese term for someone who is highly invested in their hobbies. You are thinking of the phrase "weeaboo".
Original post by Cormac Easton
OP has a point. Countries in Africa are still dealing with the aftermath of the transatlantic slave trade. The West (read: white people) should be ashamed of themselves and should pay reparations.

What you are failing to understand here is that the white people alive today had nothing to do with the transatlantic slave trade. Why should I be held accountable for my ancestors actions? It's entirely possible that not one of my forbears was even involved in slavery at all.
In some cultures parents are responsible for their children, husbands responsible for their wives, party hosts responsible for their guests. It is a small step to envisage that great great great great grandchildren are responsible for their ancestors. Not in this English culture. We are however responsible for the social welfare payments of Polish immigrants.... according to the prime minister of Poland.
In some cultures parents are responsible for their children, husbands responsible for their wives, party hosts responsible for their guests. It is a small step to envisage that great great great great grandchildren are responsible for their ancestors.

No I would say it isn't a small step. I'd say it's an insurmountably large step. In fact I'd say it's so large that it's more mental back flips rather than a step.

In whatever amount of seriousness I can work up, no I don't believe that white people should pay black people for unpaid work from slavery. First of all, it is near enough impossible to quantify exactly how much we should give them. Second of all, why should they be getting paid for work that wasn't even done in the same century they were born in, it just sounds absurd at that point. Third of all, this seems to discount the extremely large arab slave trade, the internal african slave trade and the fact that white people only gained slaves due to the efforts of their fellow africans. I do disagree with the slave trade as an instutition, but this idea has always seemed and best misguided, unfeasible and silly and at worst it could be considered quite ignorant of the actual facts.
Original post by Darthmixalot
No I would say it isn't a small step. I'd say it's an insurmountably large step. In fact I'd say it's so large that it's more mental back flips rather than a step.

In whatever amount of seriousness I can work up, no I don't believe that white people should pay black people for unpaid work from slavery. First of all, it is near enough impossible to quantify exactly how much we should give them. Second of all, why should they be getting paid for work that wasn't even done in the same century they were born in, it just sounds absurd at that point. Third of all, this seems to discount the extremely large arab slave trade, the internal african slave trade and the fact that white people only gained slaves due to the efforts of their fellow africans. I do disagree with the slave trade as an instutition, but this idea has always seemed and best misguided, unfeasible and silly and at worst it could be considered quite ignorant of the actual facts.

Perhaps the western nations should repatriate the descendants is slaves as an act of contrition and repentance?
Perhaps the western nations should repatriate the descendants is slaves as an act of contrition and repentance?

So does this include every single person who is related to a slave? Because there are quite a lot of them. This still misses out on the entirety of the arab slave trade and the internal african slave trade.

Many of those captured by the arab slave trade were white people from 'western civilisation', so should the arab nations repatriate the descendants of those slaves as an act of contrition and repentance?

And then should the descendants of those who engaged in the internal African slave trade repatriate the descendants of those they enslaved and sold?
It would be a strange and impossible endeavor, though it does also assume that the descendants of someone can share the blame of what their ancestors did which, at least to me, seems morally wrong. You cannot blame someone for what their ancestors did than you can blame the sister of a murderer for the murder.
There are many modern slavery still exist not only black or white, but also some different nationalities. Look at the Amnesty International website modern slave trade and human trafficking are very serious in different cities. The problem is the hidden crime, culture, police and government modern social economic policy and charity organisation not cooperate enough to tackle immoral business still in 21 century... Education, civilisation, and charity and social media and international community needs to be done more.:cool:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 210
Original post by MrMango
I feel I'm due around 10 million for unpaid hours of work and poor treatment of my ansestors as compensation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

si
Original post by _icecream
They should also pay back for Africa's stolen rescources

So it's ok for immigrants to take jobs, houses and shool places in the UK but it's wrong for immigrants to take oil and diamonds out of soil in Africa? 😭

If the West did Africans wouldn't recognize it so f them. They're a third world culture immune to gratitude, humility and tolerance. The only values they know is to make demands and blame other people.

Another reason why Africa should sort Ebola out itself instead of crying for money from Kind White people helping and saving a bunch of people from an uncivilized, hostile culture. Africans do not hold much sincerity.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 213
Original post by Catholic_
If the West did Africans wouldn't recognize it so f them. They're a third world culture immune to gratitude, humility and tolerance. The only values they know is to make demands and blame other people.

Another reason why Africa should sort Ebola out itself instead of crying for money from Kind White people helping and saving a bunch of people from an uncivilized, hostile culture. Africans do not much sincerity.

The only person your describing here is yourself. What a despicable display. If you had a brain in your head and knew anything at all about Africa you'd not only know how wrong you are, but would recognize how condescending and horribly offensive your description here is.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Viceroy
The only person your describing here is yourself. What a despicable display. If you had a brain in your head and knew anything at all about Africa you'd not only know how wrong you are, but would recognize how condescending and horribly offensive your description here is.

What I've said is true. They're a third world culture. They're uncivilized. Only a blindman would disagree. Have a look at the things that occur in those nations. They're so far behind in envery single way.

Just because you're offended doesn't make it not true. All cultures are different and some are still backward. Go back to school.
Original post by RobertWhite
No, I had nothing to do with it and neither did the people complaining, so why should I pay compensation based on the colour of my skin? Isn't that just as racist as the slave trade?

the bit in bold completely ends any debate here.
impossible to argue against that.
simply glorious.
Reply 216
Original post by Catholic_
What I've said is true. They're a third world culture. They're uncivilized. Only a blindman would disagree. Have a look at the things that occur in those nations. They're so far behind in envery single way.

Just because you're offended doesn't make it not true. All cultures are different and some are still backward. Go back to school.

First of all, Africa isn't 'a culture.' It contains 1.1 billion people, 54 countries, 9 territories, and 2 independent states. Over 3,000 languages are spoken on the continent. There are thousands of cultures identifiable on that continent. Calling it 'a culture' only draws further attention to your ignorance about the place and its people.

Second, Africans are not uncivilized -- Humanitarian atrocities happen there, but they happen everywhere. And Africa is can never be defined as a 'third world culture.' If you take your advice and go back to school or even read a single book about Africa, you will see how incredibly complex, fascinating, and multi-faceted the many cultures contained within Africa are. If you were to read even one book about one facet of Africa, you would see that: try, for instance, Kofi Agawu's fascinating book 'Representing African Music' (2003), which shows that the notion of 'rhythm' for some Sub-Saharan African drumming traditions is completely different than in Western music and drumming patterns are tied in with defining and redefining life's challenges. Music and life are utterly interconnected -- It's a beautiful thing.

You are blinded by a bigotry so wide in dearth that it keeps you from seeing the beauty in the world. I am sorry for you. Only someone whose fallback position is hate would say what you say. Even a blind man would sense the complexity of African cultures. You are not a blind man -- That insults blind people. You are just a bigot.
Original post by Viceroy
First of all, Africa isn't 'a culture.' It contains 1.1 billion people, 54 countries, 9 territories, and 2 independent states. Over 3,000 languages are spoken on the continent. There are thousands of cultures identifiable on that continent. Calling it 'a culture' only draws further attention to your ignorance about the place and its people.

Second, Africans are not uncivilized -- Humanitarian atrocities happen there, but they happen everywhere. And Africa is can never be defined as a 'third world culture.' If you take your advice and go back to school or even read a single book about Africa, you will see how incredibly complex, fascinating, and multi-faceted the many cultures contained within Africa are. If you were to read even one book about one facet of Africa, you would see that: try, for instance, Kofi Agawu's fascinating book 'Representing African Music' (2003), which shows that the notion of 'rhythm' for some Sub-Saharan African drumming traditions is completely different than in Western music and drumming patterns are tied in with defining and redefining life's challenges. Music and life are utterly interconnected -- It's a beautiful thing.

You are blinded by a bigotry so wide in dearth that it keeps you from seeing the beauty in the world. I am sorry for you. Only someone whose fallback position is hate would say what you say. Even a blind man would sense the complexity of African cultures. You are not a blind man -- That insults blind people. You are just a bigot.

When he states third world culture he very obviously means the different cultures that come from the third world. Is that difficult to grasp or something ?
Original post by Viceroy

Like a typical leftist, you now rant about something which wasn't even raised by me. Haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 219
When someone calls Africa a county I stop taking them seriously and drift off into my own world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending