The Student Room Group

British Muslims face worst job discrimination of any minority group, acc. to research

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thePatron
So that shows you'd be a fully discriminatory employer, so what if they don't agree with you on homosexuality, it doesn't impede their ability to do a job. You're just asking for too much, who of sane mind would even discuss homosexuality in the workplace. In fact, your whole comment reeks of stupidity. Im not even going to bother continuing a conversation with you after this comment.

Yes, I would be. People might not discuss it but there's a good chance gay people will work in any given office and I'm not going to employ someone who chooses to follow a religion which says they are sinners.

And I think many Muslims' ability to do a job would be impeded if they had to work with a homosexual. Or if a Muslim man had to work with/for a woman.

Think things through, pal.

EDIT: I should point out that it's not just me with whom Muslims disagree about homosexuality, it's every half-decent human being.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by tengentoppa
That old chestnut again. Islam is an ideology, a despicable one at that. It's not racist to point this out.

No, but it is racist to discriminate against them because of their religion.
Reply 42
Original post by haseebi82
We'll there so much hate on this forum, theres a few of you who have said they rather hire a non muslim over a muslim. I just find that pathetic and ignorant, you act like if you hire us your at risk of being forced to believe our religion, thats not true at all, if you hire someone for a job they there to do that job to the best of their ability, especially when it requires a degree. Why should religion be a boundary to that. We have been brought up in Briton and therefore know how to properly integrate with people of different communities ( however in all racers there are the few expectations which shouldn't be used to generalise to everyone else) , you don't hire someone just so you can have some small talk about their beliefs ( especially when it doesn't have anything to do with the job).

I personally want to open my own practise up in the near future. To me it doesn't matter if they White, Asian or black - Christian, Muslim, Jew.... . As long as they qualified for the job and are friendly, they would get the job.

Also a lot of my friends who all come from different backgrounds ( Poor, Rich, White , Asian ,Christians, Muslims and non believers) have said the same thing. It just seems to me from this forum and past forums on TSR, that members of the TSR are typically the biggest discriminators.

Thank you for your post. It's refreshing to see an open-minded comment amongst other horrible comments :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by thePatron
If Muslims had the stereotypical views you people purport them to have, i.e slaying non Muslims etc etc, don't you think worldwide there would be chaos, its not like Muslims don't have the resources to wreak havoc, Pakistan, Saudi, Turkey and others have nuclear weapons.
If Muslims get discriminated against, then they'd always be on benefits for no fault of their own, and would get slated for being on benefits. Remember most garments' come from Muslim countries, Levis - Turkey for instance.
Anyway pointless even talking about this to a bunch of isolated kids who have no confidence in the real world and use TSR as a window to spew their fallacies.

Thank you for your post. So glad to see a minority - as tiny as it is - on this terrible forum that have some good sense and are genuinely smart. Last sentence could not be more true haha.

:smile:
Original post by sarsoora

No it isn't. Racism is only to do with one's race, not religion. For religion it would be Religious Discrimination.

Crock.

No it isn't. Racism relates to race, or at a more tenuous level, culture. No part of anti-Muslim sentiment is racist in any way shape or form. Would you also argue it's racist to criticise Christianity.
I'm fairly sure other religions would be victimised and discriminated against if they were to kill people for drawing pictures.
Original post by Snagprophet
I'm fairly sure other religions would be victimised and discriminated against if they were to kill people for drawing pictures.

Stupid point, it's like me hating all whites due to slavery.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NomadicBelle
Stupid point, it's like me hating all whites due to slavery.

Posted from TSR Mobile

many people do......
Original post by caravaggio2
Crock.

You can change your faith you can't change your race.
Original post by pane123
Yes, I would be. People might not discuss it but there's a good chance gay people will work in any given office and I'm not going to employ someone who chooses to follow a religion which says they are sinners.

And I think many Muslims' ability to do a job would be impeded if they had to work with a homosexual. Or if a Muslim man had to work with/for a woman.

Think things through, pal.

EDIT: I should point out that it's not just me with whom Muslims disagree about homosexuality, it's every half-decent human being.

your post is nothing less than common sense !!
Reply 52
I would rather employ a non-muslim as their performance won't suffer for an entire month due to fasting

Muslims are not a race of people
Well, it is a combination of factors.

Employers also REALLY do not want the hassle of hiring someone that may possibly not want to handle certain product, not go out on social events, refuse to shake the hands of the opposite sex and etc.

The list does go on.

Do all Muslims follow those rules? No.

However, an employer is not going to wait to find out.
Many of you haven't even read the article, and if you have, you haven't read it very well.

They do list some variables, including the fact that of the comparisons that are made between people of different faiths in each ethnic group there are comparisons of Equivalent education/qualification levels yet disparity.

Either way the findings don't surprise me.
British Muslims face worst job discrimination of any minority group, according to research - The Independent

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/british-muslims-face-worst-job-discrimination-of-any-minority-group-9893211.html

Do you think this is true?

If you were a non-Muslim employer, would you hire a non-Muslim over a Muslim - given they were equally well-suited for the job?

Muslims - does this make you feel nervous about getting a job in the future?

(Please be respectful in the comments - no debating religion!)

:smile:

Truth to it? I'm sure it isn't completely false but they mostly have themselves to blame.

As an owner of several businesses in UK as well as a non-muslim. Do I discriminate? Absolutely. I prefer hiring Polish, Czechs, Slovaks and now Romanian over anyone from UK. Would I hire someone from UK? Absolutely if they can prove to be every bit as good as those I normally hire. Would I hire a muslim? That depends, a black or ones from south asia, most likely not. Those from middle east, definitely not. Those from Turkey or Iran, probably. Those from SE Asia, definitely. Those that are Whites? Absolutely not. Reason for it is many times the ones I highlighted tend to be too problematic at work and we once had one that complained that she couldn't use the staff pantry as someone had warmed a Cornish Pasty in the microwave oven and that pasty wasn't a halal one. Then there are those that insist on having prayer breaks while at work and then there is a whole month where most won't meet their KPI due to them fasting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending