The Student Room Group

General grades required for studying languages at Oxford

Hello, I'm wondering what grades are needed to be achieved in order to study modern languages at Oxford. On their website, Oxford says that they generally ask for AAA, however I'm not sure whether or not that is realistic. Does anybody have any experience in getting even an interview at Oxford for languages with these grades or any advice? Much appreciated.
Original post by Amanysky
Hello, I'm wondering what grades are needed to be achieved in order to study modern languages at Oxford. On their website, Oxford says that they generally ask for AAA, however I'm not sure whether or not that is realistic. Does anybody have any experience in getting even an interview at Oxford for languages with these grades or any advice? Much appreciated.

What do you mean you're not sure whether it's realistic? They do ask for AAA for most humanities subjects at Oxford I think and never lower. I have an interview this year but obviously haven't got my A-Level results yet, only my AS.
Reply 2
Original post by emily_12345
What do you mean you're not sure whether it's realistic? They do ask for AAA for most humanities subjects at Oxford I think and never lower. I have an interview this year but obviously haven't got my A-Level results yet, only my AS.

First, good job on the interview! When I say realistic, I mean is it likely that they'll offer you a place or interview with AAA predicted grades or are they really looking for A*AA. What were yours? Thanks!
First, good job on the interview! When I say realistic, I mean is it likely that they'll offer you a place or interview with AAA predicted grades or are they really looking for A*AA. What were yours? Thanks!

Thanks :smile: Yeah, I have AAA predictions and obviously that was enough to be invited to interview :smile: I don't think they are being cryptic, when they say AAA are the entry requirements they're not going to discriminate against you for having AAA predictions :smile: Lots of people will have A*AA or higher predictions but I think that they know that predicted grades are often inflated. As long as you have good GCSEs and AS levels that prove you are at a high enough standard to go on to get AAA at A Level you should be fine :smile: There are many more factors that contribute to the Oxford admissions process though outside of grades and predictions like submitted work and admissions tests! Hope that helps
Reply 4
Thanks :smile: Yeah, I have AAA predictions and obviously that was enough to be invited to interview :smile: I don't think they are being cryptic, when they say AAA are the entry requirements they're not going to discriminate against you for having AAA predictions :smile: Lots of people will have A*AA or higher predictions but I think that they know that predicted grades are often inflated. As long as you have good GCSEs and AS levels that prove you are at a high enough standard to go on to get AAA at A Level you should be fine :smile: There are many more factors that contribute to the Oxford admissions process though outside of grades and predictions like submitted work and admissions tests! Hope that helps

Yes, thank you very much :smile: What languages are you doing?
Yes, thank you very much :smile: What languages are you doing?

I've applied for German and Philosophy :smile:
Reply 6
I've applied for German and Philosophy :smile:

Sorry, another question as I'm American and unfamiliar with the system, what sort of things do you submit as written work? Past written exam papers? Or do you write essays especially for the school.
Sorry, another question as I'm American and unfamiliar with the system, what sort of things do you submit as written work? Past written exam papers? Or do you write essays especially for the school.

It's alright :smile: You submit an up-to-date essay, in the language(s) you are applying for and also one in English. It's not supposed to be re-drafted or especially written for the purpose. There's more info here: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/written-work which explains it a bit better :smile:
Reply 8
More info on the faculty page: http://www.mod-langs.ox.ac.uk/faqs#13

For written work, I'd recommend against submitting coursework (= an essay, 2k+ words, worked and reworked over weeks and months with regular feedback from a teacher). Also take note that tutors will take into account the circumstances of your written work. If you have an essay written for a major exam that was well done, you might want to submit that.
Hi! I'm currently at Oxford studying French and ab-initio Russian. My offer was AAA. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending