The Student Room Group

I want to travel the USA after University. NYC to LA.

I finish my masters from Bath Uni and I want to travel the USA next summer for a couple months. I want to arrive in NYC, make my down to Pennsylvania, across to Ohio, Michigan, back down to Kentucky, into West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee, North and South Carolina, Georgia and Florida.

Then travel east through Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and finally LA. And fly back to London.

I have set my self for 2 months of travelling and I want to visit all the major cities and attractions. Is this to ambitious?

Reason for this route is because I want to visit the states that are populated with a high number of ethnic minorities (African Americans). From a young age I have been heavily influenced by their music, specifically RnB music during the late 90s and early two thousands. Film, and just in general I love their whole demeanour.

I also want to play basketball in all the ghettos of every state.

This second part may sound like a fantasy but let me know what you guys think.

Much appreciated.

P.S I am not black, I am of a South Asian background.
It is pretty ambitious, but you shouldn't let that stop you if you really want to do it. I guess you need to think about things like how much you'll have to spend on this trip, and how you'll actually get around the country. Do you drive?
Reply 2
That is one of the most insanely ridiculous and implicitly racist rationales for doing something that I've ever heard. What are you going to do, go up to random black people on the street and tell them you like "their" music? You are really setting yourself up to get shouted down and maybe even beaten up. A very small number of people might humour you, but others will be extremely offended, especially if you talk about "ghettos" and loving their "demeanor," as if all people with a certain skin colour are the same...

I recommend rethinking this trip, in addition to refiguring your attitude.
(edited 9 years ago)
Sounds interesting. I would also love to travel across America on day, hopefully. I visited USA this summer and absolutely loved it.
You have to be a little careful with the "ghettos" though, and other areas which might not be that safe i.e. gun crime etc.
My relatives there told me that you can't just go to certain places within the city without (the fear of) being shot. So make sure, where exactly you are going or you know someone who knows the areas.
Original post by rallymax
I finish my masters from Bath Uni and I want to travel the USA next summer for a couple months. I want to arrive in NYC, make my down to Pennsylvania, across to Ohio, Michigan, back down to Kentucky, into West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee, North and South Carolina, Georgia and Florida.

Then travel east through Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and finally LA. And fly back to London.

I have set my self for 2 months of travelling and I want to visit all the major cities and attractions. Is this to ambitious?

Reason for this route is because I want to visit the states that are populated with a high number of ethnic minorities (African Americans). From a young age I have been heavily influenced by their music, specifically RnB music during the late 90s and early two thousands. Film, and just in general I love their whole demeanour.

I also want to play basketball in all the ghettos of every state.

This second part may sound like a fantasy but let me know what you guys think.

Much appreciated.

P.S I am not black, I am of a South Asian background.

Original post by Viceroy
That is one of the most insanely ridiculous and implicitly racist rationales for doing something that I've ever heard. What are you going to do, go up to random black people on the street and tell them you like "their" music? You are really setting yourself up to get shouted down and maybe even beaten up. A very small number of people might humour you, but others will be extremely offended, especially if you talk about "ghettos" and loving their "demeanor," as if all people with a certain skin colour are the same...

I recommend rethinking this trip, in addition to refiguring your attitude.

On the contrary to Viceroy's reply, I think OP's trip can work, and is most definitely not racist, although OP I'd recommend you be very careful how you approach people. As someone else has already pointed out, gun crime is simply a way of life in some black neighbourhoods in the US. OP, it may be a good idea to arrange meetups in advance?

Viceroy, would you care to explain how you find OP racist from his post? From what he's said, he simply wants to immerse himself in a culture that he likes that's different to his own.
Reply 5
Original post by askew116
On the contrary to Viceroy's reply, I think OP's trip can work, and is most definitely not racist, although OP I'd recommend you be very careful how you approach people. As someone else has already pointed out, gun crime is simply a way of life in some black neighbourhoods in the US. OP, it may be a good idea to arrange meetups in advance?

Viceroy, would you care to explain how you find OP racist from his post? From what he's said, he simply wants to immerse himself in a culture that he likes that's different to his own.

He's completely stereotyping the entire African-American population! His rationale is completely racist. As if all black people are exactly the same -- They like the same music and films, have the same demeanor, play basketball, and live in ghettos? Seriously? And he should NOT arrange meet-ups in advance. People are going to flip out at him. Racial tensions are extremely high in the US right now. If he goes up to strangers and spits blatant stereotypes at them, he's going to be in trouble and, not only that, these stereotypes are offensive and shouldn't be perpetuated.

Recommended viewing: "Dear White People"
Recommended reading: Nicholas Kristof's NY Times columns, "When Whites Just Don't Get It, Parts 1-5"
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Viceroy
He's completely stereotyping the entire African-American population! His rationale is completely racist. As if all black people are exactly the same -- They like the same music and films, have the same demeanor, play basketball, and live in ghettos! Seriously? And he should NOT arrange meet-ups in advance. People are going to flip out at him. Racial tensions are extremely high in the US right now. If he goes up to strangers and spits blatant stereotypes at them, he's going to be in trouble and, not only that, these stereotypes are offensive and shouldn't be perpetuated.

So what you're essentially saying is that you're against people from different cultures and ethnic backgrounds from mixing? :rolleyes:

It could even be argued you're playing to a stereotype yourself by assuming all African-Americans will take exception to being approached by someone different to themselves.
Reply 7
So what you're essentially saying is that you're against people from different cultures and ethnic backgrounds from mixing? :rolleyes:

It could even be argued you're playing to a stereotype yourself by assuming all African-Americans will take exception to being approached by someone different to themselves.

This is not what I am saying at all. Not even remotely close. You cannot even imagine how wrong you are about what I am saying. Go visit America. Do whatever you want to do, but don't visit because you have some backwards obsession with a stereotyped version of black culture and want to perpetuate it by approaching people you don't know and barraging them with your own stupidity about who they are and assumptions that anyone with the same skin color is the same. "Oh, hello black person. Do you play basketball, wield guns, listen to rap, and live in a ghetto?" Yeah, that would go over great. Black people are just interchangeable, right? How about, instead of being a bigoted imbecile, recognize that everyone is different and racial stereotypes are offensive.

Still think I'm against people of different ethnic backgrounds mixing? I'm a half Russian and half Japanese Jew, and I think racism is disgusting. Figure it out.
Original post by Viceroy
This is not what I am saying at all. Not even remotely close. You cannot even imagine how wrong you are about what I am saying. Go visit America. Do whatever you want to do, but don't visit because you have some backwards obsession with a stereotyped version of black culture and want to perpetuate it by approaching people you don't know and barraging them with your own stupidity about who they are and assumptions that anyone with the same skin color is the same. "Oh, hello black person. Do you play basketball, wield guns, listen to rap, and live in a ghetto?" Yeah, that would go over great. Black people are just interchangeable, right? How about, instead of being a bigoted imbecile, recognize that everyone is different and racial stereotypes are offensive.

Still think I'm against people of different ethnic backgrounds mixing? I'm a half Russian and half Japanese Jew, and I think racism is disgusting. Figure it out.

That's exactly my point. and your paraphrasing of OP's post is not what I read the OP as at all, and his idea of experiencing cultures and communities different to his own ought to be encouraged, not shouted down.

Accusing myself and OP of being racist bigots is not going to go down well, as you've now descended into personal abuse, which was not provoked at all.

I've been to the US many times, including many of the deep south states that OP mentioned, and the reason I suggested attempting to contact people in advance is so that he can gauge the kind of reception he's likely to get. I've driven along streets in Texas, Alabama, etc with shoes tied to telephone poles, and blood stains in streets, and it's important that OP is aware of that so he doesn't just wander into a neighbourhood that, frankly, would be dangerous.

Of course I'm not suggesting that all African-Americans are rap-obsessed gang members, so don't go there. I'm as against stereotypes as you.

Imagine this: You'd love to experience and learn about Australian Aboriginal culture. Would it be offensive and racist to visit the Australian outback? I'd hope you'd say not, and I see no distinction between that and OP's hopes. That's all I'm saying.
Looks like someone has wealthy parents :biggrin:
Good luck man, seems like a **** load of fun bro, enjoy!
PM me after tell me how it went if you remember :biggrin:
That's exactly my point. and your paraphrasing of OP's post is not what I read the OP as at all, and his idea of experiencing cultures and communities different to his own ought to be encouraged, not shouted down.

His supposed 'understanding' of 'black culture' consists of racial stereotypes (i.e. all black people play basketball, all black people live in ghettos, etc.). Racial stereotypes does not = culture. What he wrote is so ridiculous, it verges on humorous -- It's crazy to think that anyone would actually think that going up to strangers and spouting these stereotypes at them under the pretense of interest in 'culture' is a good idea. He's obviously incredibly naive though, so hopefully if he did any of the things he's describing people would laugh at him and not punch him because they're offended.

I've been to the US many times, including many of the deep south states that OP mentioned, and the reason I suggested attempting to contact people in advance is so that he can gauge the kind of reception he's likely to get. I've driven along streets in Texas, Alabama, etc with shoes tied to telephone poles, and blood stains in streets, and it's important that OP is aware of that so he doesn't just wander into a neighbourhood that, frankly, would be dangerous.

White people perpetrate more crime in America than black people. Would you be saying these same things to him if he said he wanted to go America to see American culture (with no racial parameters)? I hope so. And obviously there are dangerous neighborhoods; the same goes for any country.

Imagine this: You'd love to experience and learn about Australian Aboriginal culture. Would it be offensive and racist to visit the Australian outback? I'd hope you'd say not, and I see no distinction between that and OP's hopes. That's all I'm saying.

There is an enormous distinction between your example and what the OP has in mind. Australian Aboriginals are an indigenous people. African Americans are an ethnic group. You cannot compare the two in the way you have; it's entirely anthropologically and sociologically insensitive.

--

As I said, the OP's entire concept of what he thinks of as 'black culture' is based on racial stereotypes. It is absolutely unacceptable for him to approach anyone -- stranger or not -- and make assumptions about them based on stereotypes about their race. If he wants to go to America, he should, but he should be interested in meeting people for their own sake -- Not because he thinks that everyone who looks a certain way is an embodiment of the stereotypes he has in his head.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending