The Student Room Group

Poll: Do you agree with this statement?

Poll

Do you agree with the statement?

The idea that sex "should be something special" is a flawed social construct that has no basis in reality

Any further thoughts welcome.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's different for every person. Some people see it as just a physical act whereas others get emotionally attached and caught up in the moment.
Reply 2
Original post by Blue Label
It's different for every person. Some people see it as just a physical act whereas others get emotionally attached and caught up in the moment.

It probably is...I am asking you for your personal opinion.
Original post by Birkenhead
It probably is...I am asking you for your personal opinion.

My personal opinion is its just a physical act.
Reply 4
My personal opinion is its just a physical act.

The act itself is obviously just a physical one. The statement does not disagree with this, but rather says that any notion that sex should have any kind of deeper emotional attachment is 'a social construct that has no basis in reality'.
The act itself is obviously just a physical one. The statement does not disagree with this, but rather says that any notion that sex should have any kind of deeper emotional attachment is 'a social construct that has no basis in reality'.

I agree with the statement. I think this could have easily been derived from my earlier statement.
Reply 6
I agree with the statement. I think this could have easily been derived from my earlier statement.

I was simply pointing out that your contributions don't actually engage with the statement itself.
I was simply pointing out that your contributions don't actually engage with the statement itself.

Although you could have drawn conclusions quite easily based on the aforementioned statements that I made.
Reply 8
Although you could have drawn conclusions quite easily based on the aforementioned statements that I made.

I am interested in which side you take but also the reasoning that leads you there.
I am interested in which side you take but also the reasoning that leads you there.

I think naturally humans just had sex for reproduction purposes and then later discovered it could be had for fun. However, it has now become a societal norm or accepted norm that there is more to sex although a lot of people do disagree with this. Some people get very attached but I do agree that is because society has made sex into this big thing when in reality its nothing special. It feels good and is nice but I believe the emotional stuff is a state of mind people have built up within their own heads.
Reply 10
Completely agree, sex is meaningless except to full fill your sexual urges. This special rubbish is pathetic
I think some of the ideas around sex, esp. the concept of virginity, are rooted in misogyny and the whole thing about promiscuous girls being sluts but guys doing the same are "studs" is ridiculous double standards - it's okay for sex to be meaningless to guys but if girls behave in the same way suddenly she's a whore?
Reply 12
Original post by electricgrrl
I think some of the ideas around sex, esp. the concept of virginity, are rooted in misogyny and the whole thing about promiscuous girls being sluts but guys doing the same are "studs" is ridiculous double standards - it's okay for sex to be meaningless to guys but if girls behave in the same way suddenly she's a whore?

I think you should have read the statement more carefully before casting your vote.
I think you should have read the statement more carefully before casting your vote.

Maybe you should stop criticizing everyone who interprets your question in their own way and make it a bit clearer for people to understand?
Reply 14
Original post by electricgrrl
Maybe you should stop criticizing everyone who interprets your question in their own way and make it a bit clearer for people to understand?

I haven't criticised anyone. I have challenged answers and, in your case, pointed out that you seem to have drastically misunderstood the question. It isn't a difficult one to understand as it is currently written.
I haven't criticised anyone. I have challenged answers and, in your case, pointed out that you seem to have drastically misunderstood the question. It isn't a difficult one to understand as it is currently written.

I'm not here to get into an argument or a debate; you posted a question and I answered it. Simple as that. If you don't like what I said, or what the other poster said above, that's your problem because you asked for people's opinions. As it happens I thought it fitted in well with the statement you had originally written, and I was bringing another dimension to the situation. Obviously it's not as clear cut as you thought.

Now, I have better things to do with my time.
We've come so far as a species that I struggle to concieve the possibility that sex is a purely primal urges and gratification , maybe once it was but as humans we attach meaning to the most trivial of things and whilst I don't think its "special" as such , I think it does deserve a certain status and should only be done with people you give at least minimal respect to. i.e you know their name , and so forth.

I think if someone goes around sleeping with everyone and anyone trying to convince themselves they're doing it because its fun they have something wrong with them and are trying to prove something to themselves . This goes for both sexes .
I think naturally humans just had sex for reproduction purposes and then later discovered it could be had for fun...society has made sex into this big thing when in reality its nothing special. It feels good and is nice but I believe the emotional stuff is a state of mind people have built up within their own heads.

So the first humans to have sex didn't enjoy it?

Do you think other animals enjoy having sex? Check out dogs in heat.

Evolution has ensured that sex is associated with "meaning" because it has some of the most important consequences for fitness, especially for women. Of course we can modify the programming to some extent as evidenced by the changes in sexual mores over the centuries and across cultures.

But the idea that society is solely responsible for out attitudes towards sex is naive.
Sex is special, with me. :colone:
Original post by chazwomaq
So the first humans to have sex didn't enjoy it?

I don't think I made my point clear. I think they did enjoy it but it wasn't their primary motive. I think their primary motive initially was for reproduction.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending