The Student Room Group

GCSE Additional Science

I had my Physics mock today, and it went bad (not too bad, but not good).

I'm quiet depressed (sad I know) as I'm having trouble revising for science effectively, and I want to do well in my Biology, and Chemistry, next week to make up.
I wanted to test out MyGCSEScience, but the creator of the videos decided to put charges on the videos, right before my mocks, and I usually find using my exercise books a bit of pain, when just reading them, despite gaining a C, in my mini mocks last time, although that was due to short revision.

I have this revision guide which I memorized in Year 10 for core, and I got a B. Although the ISA helped considerably.

I want to aim for an A in Additional, I got a C in my ISA, which is rubbish and I'm stuck with it, so I need to work exceptionally well to get decent grades in the exams, to push my grade up.

People say using the CGP guides help, some people say use the specification. Which is the best way?
If anyone also has some great notes, which helped them get good grades, I'd extremely appreciate it, if you posted them.

I was thinking of making handwritten books for all three sciences, with notes taken from the Collins book, specification, and school exercise books, put in small and simple sentences in order to make them easy to memorize, and then using past papers afterwards.
But that may be difficult as we haven't learned everything yet, so I'll have to wait or should I just make notes on the whole syllabus, even the things I haven't learned?

Thank you for everyone, for helping. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Use the CGP Revision Guide
Its fantastic for GCSE
It has all of the Info
The Textbook above doesn't explain the things in detail.
So if you use the CGP, you'll get an A
I used this last year got A* in additional science
Reply 2
Original post by Why me
Use the CGP Revision Guide
Its fantastic for GCSE
It has all of the Info
The Textbook above doesn't explain the things in detail.
So if you use the CGP, you'll get an A
I used this last year got A* in additional science

Were you bad at Science to begin with or okay?
Is it good for Chemistry? as Chemistry is my weakest and seems to be heavy in terms of content.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Grade
Is it good for Chemistry? as Chemistry is my weakest and seems to be heavy in terms of content.

The CGP is amazing for chemistry! I moved up from a D grade at the begining of year 10 to an A*. Trust me. I also have the guide you had and it's okay, not amazing...
Reply 4
Original post by zebby1999
The CGP is amazing for chemistry! I moved up from a D grade at the begining of year 10 to an A*. Trust me. I also have the guide you had and it's okay, not amazing...

Are they good for Biology and Physics?
Wow a D from an A*, well done.
I would love to get an A* in Chemistry. Did you just memorize the whole book?
Reply 5
Original post by Grade

I was good
Doing AS MATHS, CHEM (SALTERS) BIO AND ICT
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by STUDYREVISE
Which paper did you sit for the mock? june 2014?
also, can you not resit the ISA? I will be resitting because I got an A but want an A*.... ask your teachers.

It was a past paper made out of different questions put together into one paper, as we haven't finished everything. The exam was easy, and I could of done really well, but I didn't revise effectively, and I'm upset with my self.
I can't resit my ISA, my school says anyone below a C, can resit. Which I think is annoying, considering, had I gained a few less marks, I would've got a D and resat. I think it's unfair, as they're depriving me of the chance, to aim higher. I got an A last time, and I'm fairly capable, I just happened to have a flu, when we were doing it, so I was at the doctors.
Well done on the A, I'm jealous. Haha.

Do you know any ways to revise effectively for Science?
Original post by Grade
It was a past paper made out of different questions put together into one paper, as we haven't finished everything. The exam was easy, and I could of done really well, but I didn't revise effectively, and I'm upset with my self.
I can't resit my ISA, my school says anyone below a C, can resit. Which I think is annoying, considering, had I gained a few less marks, I would've got a D and resat. I think it's unfair, as they're depriving me of the chance, to aim higher. I got an A last time, and I'm fairly capable, I just happened to have a flu, when we were doing it, so I was at the doctors.
Well done on the A, I'm jealous. Haha.

Do you know any ways to revise effectively for Science?

Memorising stuff is not the way to go. You need to understand it. I recommend going through the notes and putting all the essential information on a single a4 sheet. Also do past papers
Reply 9
Original post by langlitz
Memorising stuff is not the way to go. You need to understand it. I recommend going through the notes and putting all the essential information on a single a4 sheet. Also do past papers

I find memorising for Biology helps, but Chemistry and Physics require more application, especially Chemistry.

I don't like doing past papers, until I know the content.
How do I understand it without forgetting?
Would going through revision books, and specifications, and selecting the important bits, and make handwritten notes be good?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Grade
Are they good for Biology and Physics?
Wow a D from an A*, well done.
I would love to get an A* in Chemistry. Did you just memorize the whole book?

My experience has been that the CGP guide is amazing for all three subjects: physics, biology and chemistry. You don't need to learn the book off by heart, just listen in class and understand the topics, then when it comes to revising use the guide. At the end of each topic there is a page full of questions to test your knowledge and how much information you have retained. If you find you can't answer a question, highlight the question and then go over the topic is the revision book again.
Nope, I remember when I did Core Chemistry. I revised using the CGP textbook and ended up with a D+. Trust me, it's overated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Again, make flashcards. Do alot of pastpapers. Older pastpapers from 2011 and before. Otherwise you'll end up doing the real exam.by accident and that counts as CHEATING!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Grade
I find memorising for Biology helps, but Chemistry and Physics require more application, especially Chemistry.

I don't like doing past papers, until I know the content.
How do I understand it without forgetting?
Would going through revision books, and specifications, and selecting the important bits, and make handwritten notes be good?

Yeah memorising for biology can't be helped, it's basically just a memory test. As for understanding without forgetting... It's difficult, you just need to put in the time and eventually it will all become second nature. Eventually you'll be able to find a percentage yield with a blindfold on pretty much

Quick Reply

Latest