The Student Room Group

Dating preferences

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ParadiseFound
señora , don't take that cheeky tone with me . I thought you were italian ? Why are you begging spanish .

Spanish sounds sexier :wink:
Original post by queen-bee
Spanish sounds sexier :wink:

I've been self teaching it for a while now but I still suck , I agree , spanish is one hell of a sensual language.
I'm part Syrian and part italian. Who says middle eastern women are most oppressed?! Okay maybe on places like Saudia arabia

Who says? You can't be serioust?

There is no doubt that the women of the middle east suffer from the lowest status of women in any continent/region of the world. I mean, not all countries in the middle east; women in Israel enjoy the rights and status that are comparable to a European country. But pretty much everywhere else...

There are complex reasons for the low status of women in middle eastern societies; historical, cultural, religious. But we can't even get to first base in terms of addressing that until we are honest with ourselves
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by ParadiseFound
I've been self teaching it for a while now but I still suck , I agree , spanish is one hell of a sensual language.

Where's a cute latino when you need one!
Reply 44
Original post by young_guns
Who says? You can't be serioust?

There is no doubt that the women of the middle east suffer from the lowest status of women in any continent/region of the world. I mean, not all countries in the middle east; women in Israel enjoy the rights and status that are comparable to a European country. But pretty much everywhere else...

There are complex reasons for the low status of women in middle eastern societies; historical, cultural, religious. But we can't even get to first base in terms of addressing that until we are honest with ourselves

Okay we get it,you're bery pro Israeli and against arabs or the whole Arabian culture but actually not all women in the middle East are oppressed. In Syria, the old Syria, women were free to do whatever they wanted.
Okay we get it,you're bery pro Israeli and against arabs or the whole Arabian culture

Wow. Xenophobic much? I merely pointed out Israel is an exception to the general status of women in the middle east (something which is indisputable) and you go off like a rocket.

That kind of reminds me when some left-wing groups in England complain about the fact Israel doesn't mistreat gay people, as if that is some kind of black mark against it as opposed to an embarassment for the rest of the Arab world in terms of how it treats gay people

but actually not all women in the middle East are oppressed. In Syria, the old Syria, women were free to do whatever they wanted

You are kidding, right? You are really claiming that the women of Raqqa are free to do whatever they want? I would suggest that you are fairly unaware of just how devastating the Syrian Civil War has been for the women of Syria, who have suffered not just physical violence but massively increased instances of rape, of oppression by Islamic militants like al Nusra and Daesh where they control.

I accept that, pre-civil war, Syria did not have the kind of total subjugation of women as in Saudi Arabia or Iran. It's treatment of women was more like what you see in Lebanon (i.e. not legal restrictions, but a very male-dominated culture and misogynist views about womens' role in the home and in marriage). And I actually know a fair bit about Lebanon and Lebanese culture, through marriage into my family.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by young_guns
Wow. Xenophobic much? I merely pointed out Israel is an exception to the general status of women in the middle east (something which is indisputable) and you go off like a rocket.

That kind of reminds me when some left-wing groups in England complain about the fact Israel doesn't mistreat gay people, as if that is some kind of black mark against it as opposed to an embarassment for the rest of the Arab world in terms of how it treats gay people

You are kidding, right? You are really claiming that the women of Raqqa are free to do whatever they want? I would suggest that you are fairly unaware of just how devastating the Syrian Civil War has been for the women of Syria, who have suffered not just physical violence but massively increased instances of rape, of oppression by Islamic militants like al Nusra and Daesh where they control.

I accept that, pre-civil war, Syria did not have the kind of total subjugation of women as in Saudi Arabia or Iran. It's treatment of women was more like what you see in Lebanon (i.e. not legal restrictions, but a very male-dominated culture and misogynist views about womens' role in the home and in marriage). And I actually know a fair bit about Lebanon and Lebanese culture, through marriage into my family.

Spoken like a true Arab! I'm not xenophobic,I merely pointed out that you have a strong dislike for arabs for some reason or another.
I did say the OLD Syria,before all this civil war began.

Quick Reply

Latest