The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Defragmentation

Also, would be great if people could actually provide constructive help on this thread rather than trying to absolutely crush other people's aspirations in the most rude and blunt manner.

Agreed! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by SophieLK
You obviously don't know my CC Intelligent Aid scheme is CV blind in its entirety,...they have no idea about any of your grades. On the CC website all three of the trainees in their recruitment video for the year 2013/14 had 2.2's. I got nervous on my case study interview. I got three offer's and one reject. It was annoying, but I encouraged to apply again due to gaining the highest mark in the WG and my great feedback - something I am doing.

And actually I never made fun of that Oxford undergrad...he's now one of my best friends and the guy who put me in contact with Freshfields as he's their representative.

You really do have some anger issues!

Check out your story first. CC have a 2.1 minimum cut off in all their offer letters, otherwise the offer is revoked so that's absolute tosh as well. I have 2 friends there who have confirmed that, one of whom is in that particular video so that is utter rubbish as well.

Stop making stuff up and people might actually believe you. Three offers my a*se.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jacktc890
Check out your story first. CC have a 2.1 minimum cut off in all their offer letters, otherwise the offer is revoked so that's absolute tosh as well. I have 2 friends there who have confirmed that, one of whom is in that particular video so that is utter rubbish as well.

Stop making stuff up and people might actually believe you. Three offers my a*se.

Haha you're literally too funny. Did they go through the Intelligent Aid competition? And were they graduates? Haha :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

You ring up Aasha Tikwoo (creator of the Intelligent Aid and graduate recruiter) and ask!

Oh and if you're talking and Jessica in that video, then yes. She got a first. The other two did not.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SophieLK
Haha you're literally too funny. Did they go through the Intelligent Aid competition? And were they graduates? Haha :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

You ring up Aasha Tikwoo (creator of the Intelligent Aid and graduate recruiter) and ask!

Oh and if you're talking and Jessica in that video, then yes. She got a first. The other two did not.

Hahaha this is funny. Thought all the CC trainees in the video got 2.2s Sophie? The other girl in the video went to Warwick and got a first as well according to linkedin, unsure about the third. I'm embarrassed for you.
PFO from Shearman & Sterling.
@Liarpoker sorry to hear that mate :frown: onto the next one though!! your turn will come :smile:

@both of the people who reported on the HSF test, thanks guys, I feel a lot less nervous to take it than I did before :biggrin: now, I am most certainly not looking for the answers, but I'm wondering how you approached the most/least effective things. ie is disturbing 'busy managers/colleagues' (seems to feature heavily in these questions) usually your least effective? and which do you choose as more effective out of 'explaining to customers you have to do this for security/policy reasons and proceeding' or 'agreeing to do it the way they want it this time so they have a good experience' ? see i would have thought it was important to stick to the justified security reasons, but hey if I was told by a manager it was fine to give people one-offs for good experiences I'd understand that and would do it lol.
Original post by TykeDragon
@Liarpoker sorry to hear that mate :frown: onto the next one though!! your turn will come :smile:

@both of the people who reported on the HSF test, thanks guys, I feel a lot less nervous to take it than I did before :biggrin: now, I am most certainly not looking for the answers, but I'm wondering how you approached the most/least effective things. ie is disturbing 'busy managers/colleagues' (seems to feature heavily in these questions) usually your least effective? and which do you choose as more effective out of 'explaining to customers you have to do this for security/policy reasons and proceeding' or 'agreeing to do it the way they want it this time so they have a good experience' ? see i would have thought it was important to stick to the justified security reasons, but hey if I was told by a manager it was fine to give people one-offs for good experiences I'd understand that and would do it lol.

I don't know whether you've done a vac scheme (?)but I drew on experiences from mine. I approached it by thinking am I able to attempt this on my own, and is I do so, would it actually be detrimental? Because you don't want to be constantly asking your supervisor on every little detail, you have to show some initiative. If would have been detrimental i.e. talking to the client directly etc. I said ask your supervisor or if they're busy ask other trainees/lawyers.

I passed the threshold so I'm sure you'll be fine :tongue:
Reply 427
Original post by liarpoker
PFO from Shearman & Sterling.

Sorry to hear, hope others go better. Was this for spring/summer or winter? Thanks
Original post by excito
Sorry to hear, hope others go better. Was this for spring/summer or winter? Thanks

no preference between summer and spring.
Original post by crazyangelg
Invited to Linklaters assessment centre. Has anyone been?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I went a couple of weeks ago and got an offer within six days.
Original post by hugo grotius
I went a couple of weeks ago and got an offer within six days.

Oh okay How did you find it. Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys! I've graduated and just started looking into law. I am a chemistry graduate so I'm interested in IP. I just got accepted onto Bristows' Winter Workshop, which is their vac sheme, I was wondering if anyone else is going? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was good (obviously!). They took commercial awareness very seriously. Make sure you know a lot about what the firm does, and a couple of specific deals they have done (Post Office IPO is popular this year). Devour investopedia and make sure you have an understanding of commercial terminology.

I completely ballsed up the written part, but redeemed myself in the interview, so don't worry too much if the written part goes wrong. It's very hard.

Edit: Forgot to say how friendly everyone was. More so than at Freshies when I interviewed there. They're really looking for two things I think - a genuine interest in the firm, and likeability.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey, has anyone had an interview with Jones Day who could tell me how long I should expect to wait for a reply if successful or unsuccessful (if they even respond to the latter?) Thanks
Reply 434

Posted from TSR Mobile

I interviewed for a TC at Linklaters year but I didn't accept the TC offer. My advice would be to beware taking too long on the 'in tray' exercise thing they do (presuming that's used for vac scheme applications) as everyone I know who has done it is really rushed for time, practice the Watson Glaser test as they do retest you in the office and also be prepared for the HR interview because although the it's not that complicated it was very competency heavy so be prepared for that too.
Anyone heard from Baker & McKenzie post tests? If so, how long did it take to get a response? Thanks
Original post by meep_meep
Anyone heard from Baker & McKenzie post tests? If so, how long did it take to get a response? Thanks

I had my telephone interview with B&M last Tuesday and am still waiting to hear back. It took about three working days after completing the final test before I received the invitation to schedule the telephone interview.

Best of luck!
Has anyone heard from Irwin Mitchell yet?
Original post by jacktc890
Yeah of-course they did Sophie CC are full of trainees with 2.2s..... and I'd bet my hat that the Oxford undergrad you made fun of has a damn sight better chance of getting a TC than a 2.2 Essex grad.

And if that's the case and you've completed your undergrad and a postgrad degree, and a vac scheme at CC, then why don't you have a TC yet? Oh let me guess.....

As a matter of fact, I am that Oxford undergrad, and what Sophie said is completely true - I was unsuccessful, and people with 2:2s from less prestigious universities were successful.

Perhaps don't be so narrow-minded - it is rare for magic circle trainees to have a 2:2, but the magic circle trainees that have got in with a 2:2 are those with extenuating circumstances or, like Sophie, got outstanding results in further study.
Just did the HSF test, you guys were right it wasn't too bad... how long d'you reckon until I hear whether I hit their benchmark? (And what's the next stage, interview or being invited for the other two tests? )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending