The Student Room Group

How does an Oxbridge student write?

How do you write your essays? How do you choose what words and ideas to use? Can you give me insight into your thought processes when you write something academic? Do you write simply or obscurely?

Can you give me a few sentences as an example?
Thou' twiddely link ye olde madame.
Reply 3
with a pen
Why does everybody talk about Oxbridge students as though they're a superior race? So what?
Original post by Exceptional
Why does everybody talk about Oxbridge students as though they're a superior race? So what?

Where was "superior race" mentioned? All OP asked for was examples of an Oxbridge student's academic writing. "Do you write… obscurely?" is even very slight denigration.
Original post by Smaug123
Where was "superior race" mentioned? All OP asked for was examples of an Oxbridge student's academic writing. "Do you write… obscurely?" is even very slight denigration.

The OP asked the question in the context of Oxbridge students. Not LSE, Imperial, Durham, etc.

Therefore, they're implying that because someone attends either Oxford or Cambridge, they must have a 'unique' thought pattern to enable such a divergence between them and the rest of the population at another alma mater, when in fact the writing styles between someone at say, Cambridge and LSE, isn't going to be that different.
The OP asked the question in the context of Oxbridge students. Not LSE, Imperial, Durham, etc.

Therefore, they're implying that because someone attends either Oxford or Cambridge, they must have a 'unique' thought pattern to enable such a divergence between them and the rest of the population at another alma mater, when in fact the writing styles between someone at say, Cambridge and LSE, isn't going to be that different.

This isn't a matter that can be settled by me - only the OP can say what they were implying.
With an albatross feather quill and golden ink.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How dare thee compare the likes of Oxbridge to beta uni's such as the ones whom are not worthy of mention.
Interesting thread..
Fast, is likely the chief difference. This the product of a need to turn out one or two essays a week and the fact that closed-book 3 hour exams remain much the commonest way of conducting assessment. Except for say the top ten percent of them, I don't know that the Oxbridge students are smarter going-in or even coming-out than are their counterparts at UCL or whereitis, but what is 'added-value', and important in some industries, is the capacity to produce under pressure and to deadlines.
Original post by Anonynous
How dare thee compare the likes of Oxbridge to beta uni's such as the ones whom are not worthy of mention.

"Thee"? "Whom"? Dear, dear. Neither of those is used correctly.
Original post by Smaug123
"Thee"? "Whom"? Dear, dear. Neither of those is used correctly.

Thou seemingly looks like thus Oxbridge reject. Flee from this conversation thou enjoined in.
Original post by Anonynous
Thou seemingly looks like thus Oxbridge reject. Flee from this conversation thou enjoined in.

My erstwhile friend, it would be most befitting of someone of your station- ostensibly an Oxonian or attendant to that other place- if you could harness the syntactic forms of English before you next embark on a wild rampage, assaulting the hears and eyes of my contemporaries with your foul-tongued "thus" and malformed "in".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending