The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Current LSE student, ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone.

Just interested is social life in LSE really as I have heard. Personally I am more an introvert person so don't really like communicating a lot or going to parties but more enjoy with study. But as far as I have heard LSE is more about making connections and things like that. Is it true? and to what degree is it academic?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 61
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Economic History does sound really interesting! Do you cover any specific countries and/or time periods or is it more like a general overview of the global economy as a whole?

I deffo agree with you on the reading aspect! For our Econ Hist module I sometimes find myself spending almost as much time on those assignments, as I would on the Micro, Macro and Maths ones combined!

We cover different topics each week so its really a combination of the two. For example, the first week was about "why is Britain and America successful" and the fifth week was about "the economic effects after WWII."
So its very diverse.
I agree with you there! I find that the concepts of Econ history is much simpler than Maths and Stats however its more time consuming!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by Whocares1
Hi everyone.

Just interested is social life in LSE really as I have heard. Personally I am more an introvert person so don't really like communicating a lot or going to parties but more enjoy with study. But as far as I have heard LSE is more about making connections and things like that. Is it true? and to what degree is it academic?

LSE is exactly what you make of it. If you want to be a person who studies hard and gets good grades you can very easily be that person - especially with the brilliant library and resources the LSE have. The LSE also has events in which connections can be made but if you're not interested in these kind of things, you don't have to go - many people do not!
The LSE is very academic in terms of alumni, resources, teaching and reputation.
Original post by Aj_16
LSE is exactly what you make of it. If you want to be a person who studies hard and gets good grades you can very easily be that person - especially with the brilliant library and resources the LSE have. The LSE also has events in which connections can be made but if you're not interested in these kind of things, you don't have to go - many people do not!
The LSE is very academic in terms of alumni, resources, teaching and reputation.

You just cannot imagine how glad I am to hear that.
Hope I will have an offer from LSE

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are you aiming to achieve out of the subjects you're currently studying?
Reply 65
Original post by Mariusk03
Thanks for taking the time to do this, you really are a great help for us applicants who are struggling with the wait :smile:

I just have one question: do you know a lot of people who choose to live in residences such as Urbanest King's Cross or Unite Stratford One? If I decide to go to LSE I'd want to live in one of these places because they seem really nice however I am uncertain whether or not I'd find any LSE students living there, as you previously mentioned that the LSE halls are best for socializing.

I'd really appreciate an answer and again, thanks for taking the time :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

In terms of how nice they are, they are probably nicer. However I would definitely recommend living in a hall like bankside hall. The problem with the private residences is that such a small amount of people from LSE live there so you are less likely to make friends with people like yourself. However bankside is really large and quite nice so there are so many people to make friends with. This is similar with most LSE accommodation i.e. Roseberry and Carr Saunders. So to summarise I would compromise with less elaborate accommodation for good accommodation with good friends.
Hope that's clear and no worries!
Reply 66
Original post by inachigeek21
What are you aiming to achieve out of the subjects you're currently studying?

Is this grade wise? If so I would like a first class.
Original post by Aj_16
As the title states, I'm a current LSE student. The process can be quite long and I found when applying last year that there are numerous questions I needed the answer to which I couldn't find answers for. I have been at LSE for 2 months so far and I'm loving my experience. I hope to answer any queries you people may have... fire away

Hi!

I just applied to LSE for the accounting and finance course. I did the IB and I was just wondering what my chances are for getting in? I received a score of 38 and i got that 8 week letter but im still not exactly sure what to make of it as its such a competitive course.

Also, I have to defer for a year and so was thinking if I dont get in, I would apply for government instead next year. Would you recommend that as an easier alternative?
Reply 68
Original post by gerrardcoutinho
Hi!

I just applied to LSE for the accounting and finance course. I did the IB and I was just wondering what my chances are for getting in? I received a score of 38 and i got that 8 week letter but im still not exactly sure what to make of it as its such a competitive course.

Also, I have to defer for a year and so was thinking if I dont get in, I would apply for government instead next year. Would you recommend that as an easier alternative?

Unfortunately I don't study that course so I'm not entirely sure. However all courses are very competitive having about an approximate 7-9% acceptance rate. Therefore unless you're very passionate about studying government "its not easier to get in for" as the best people for the specific subject are chosen.
Original post by Aj_16
Unfortunately I don't study that course so I'm not entirely sure. However all courses are very competitive having about an approximate 7-9% acceptance rate. Therefore unless you're very passionate about studying government "its not easier to get in for" as the best people for the specific subject are chosen.

Reply 70
Original post by romaiseb
Thanks for setting up this thread, it's so useful - my question is on a separate thread I made here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3007479&p=52014495#post52014495 - I'd really appreciate an answerrrr :smile:

As I'm not in admissions and I'm just a student please bear in mind that this is just my personal advice. On a whole I don't think LSE penalise severely for one poor GCSE as long as overall GCSE performance is strong. I know a boy who got into Cambridge to study maths and he had one C at GCSE.
My advice for you is not to dwell on the past and ensure your predictions are as good as they can be and that you receive good AS grades.
Hey, I just got an offer for economics so had a few questions.
What halls would you say are the most sociable, while also having good large portions of food (my 2 criteria lol)?
Also, what 1st year optional modules would you recommend as far as easiness and interestingness goes?
With LSE's workload, do you think it would be possible to have a part time job as well?

Thanks!
Reply 72
Original post by groovyd97
Hey, I just got an offer for economics so had a few questions.
What halls would you say are the most sociable, while also having good large portions of food (my 2 criteria lol)?
Also, what 1st year optional modules would you recommend as far as easiness and interestingness goes?
With LSE's workload, do you think it would be possible to have a part time job as well?

Thanks!

Hi and well done! With some bias as I'm there I'd say bankside hall is the most sociable as there's the most people. However from what I've heard Carr Saunders, Passfield and Roseberry are all sociable too. Id stay away from intercollegiate personally as I've heard its the least sociable however that's not saying its not sociable at all.

In terms of first year modules, the most popular are accounting, economic history and logic. I do economic history which is very interesting however theres a fair bit of reading. Accounting is good is you like balance sheets etc and logic is apparently "fairly easy" but in my opinion looks boring.
Foodwise, I'm a vegetarian and I've found that Banksides food has been fairly good and it s not repetitive which is good.

For someone who's quite chilled and likes a little bit of time on their hands to see their friends I'd say no. However if you're very good with time management you could get a part time job. For example students work behind the bar in the LSE club and there are other "on campus" jobs which don't look too demanding.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 73
Hey do you have any friends currently studying actuarial science ? I am from Malaysia applying with forecast of A* in math further math and physic while A for chemistry. Can I get a place there ? And is the work load high ? >.<
Reply 74
Original post by ffteddy
Hey do you have any friends currently studying actuarial science ? I am from Malaysia applying with forecast of A* in math further math and physic while A for chemistry. Can I get a place there ? And is the work load high ? >.<

Yes your grades are good so yes you have a good chance. And yes work load is high just like all courses at LSE.
Reply 75
So do you think I actually have free time for part time jobs if I really get enrolled?
How about the accomodations? we can just live in hall for the first year?
For example like Passfield hall, is it just 1 meal which is evening meal is included in the rent only or 2 meals? Sorry I really have lots of question although I still not sure if I am getting an offer :\
Reply 76
Dear Teddy,

Previously I wrote to thank you for applying to the LSE, and am now writing to update you on the status of your application.

I am currently reviewing your academic qualifications to ensure that you have met all of the entry requirements. I am also assessing your personal statement.

I anticipate that this process will take approximately two weeks. I will be in touch then to update you on the status of your application.

Is this email mean that I will get an answer in 2 weeks time? >.< haha, i am just being so nervous ~
Reply 77
Original post by ffteddy
Dear Teddy,

Previously I wrote to thank you for applying to the LSE, and am now writing to update you on the status of your application.

I am currently reviewing your academic qualifications to ensure that you have met all of the entry requirements. I am also assessing your personal statement.

I anticipate that this process will take approximately two weeks. I will be in touch then to update you on the status of your application.

Is this email mean that I will get an answer in 2 weeks time? >.< haha, i am just being so nervous ~

To be honest the LSE admissions are very poor with timings. They'll respond to you in two weeks but they may give you an answer or state they may need more time. All I can say is just try and be as patient as you can, I had to wait for my offer until April.
Reply 78
HAHA ICIC
OK THEN THANKS !
Btw what are u studying now ? :smile:
Reply 79
Original post by ffteddy
HAHA ICIC
OK THEN THANKS !
Btw what are u studying now ? :smile:

Economics and Economic History :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest