The Student Room Group

Swansea GEM (A101) Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by MiloMilo
Haha. It will... It will...

I'm in coach C if you want boring medicine conversation for 3 and a half hours :tongue:

Couldn't make it today, do you mind putting on here if they gave out any super important information? Hope you had a good day!
Great day! Very glad I went, met another TSRer and it was very informative in all honesty!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 262
Original post by Rosser1994
Great day! Very glad I went, met another TSRer and it was very informative in all honesty!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh good day. See you on the 30th!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aaaaah I just love swansea so much! What a great day!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The long train trips were definitely worth it to learn what the course and uni are like, seeing the clinical skills was good though felt a bit lonesome being the only one in my group to do CPR ._. Really? How did you find them? Maybe I didn't arrive earlier enough to experience the tsr ice breaker hide and seek game.
Reply 265
Original post by TranquilRawr
The long train trips were definitely worth it to learn what the course and uni are like, seeing the clinical skills was good though felt a bit lonesome being the only one in my group to do CPR ._. Really? How did you find them? Maybe I didn't arrive earlier enough to experience the tsr ice breaker hide and seek game.

We bumped into each on a campus tour aha
Original post by Mr Men
We bumped into each on a campus tour aha

I wonder if you were in my campus tour too hmmmmmm

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 267
The campus tour was pretty awful, I can appreciate the buildings etc but would have much preferred a better look at the libraries and the SU rooms etc.
Knowing what the Faraday building is and who studies there is not my concern. I also think it's pointless showing us the outside of accommodation buildings when there is a separate accommodation tour.
I can appreciate it was supposed to be more general but why didn't they focus on the aspects targeted to more people rather than try to include everything? It'd be a much shorter tour and you could thus take much smaller groups.

The GEM aspect of it was really good though, people seemed genuinely nice and I got some great info.
55% of GEM graduates stay in Wales for their FY1/2, there haven't been many Swansea only grad cohorts just yet, but I do wonder how consistent this number is and how it compares to other schools and their teaching deaneries.

Was great meeting some of you, I didn't hunt down the TSRians mainly because it was easier to scare the less informed candidates :wink:
Original post by Zorg
The campus tour was pretty awful, I can appreciate the buildings etc but would have much preferred a better look at the libraries and the SU rooms etc.
Knowing what the Faraday building is and who studies there is not my concern. I also think it's pointless showing us the outside of accommodation buildings when there is a separate accommodation tour.
I can appreciate it was supposed to be more general but why didn't they focus on the aspects targeted to more people rather than try to include everything? It'd be a much shorter tour and you could thus take much smaller groups.

The GEM aspect of it was really good though, people seemed genuinely nice and I got some great info.
55% of GEM graduates stay in Wales for their FY1/2, there haven't been many Swansea only grad cohorts just yet, but I do wonder how consistent this number is and how it compares to other schools and their teaching deaneries.

Was great meeting some of you, I didn't hunt down the TSRians mainly because it was easier to scare the less informed candidates :wink:

Someone asked the support officer during my groups break for refreshments about drop out rates, apparently she couldn't think of a case of 1 in the past 4 years. Seems like the support network is really something! Ahhhh so thats what the 55% quote was, the downside of being in group 1 at the very back and noises nearby!

We should have all worn some sort of badge or armband like a secret society to identify each other. I didn't find any TSR or NMM peeps and a few of those I did speak didn't know as much as I expected them to haha
Reply 269
Someone asked the support officer during my groups break for refreshments about drop out rates, apparently she couldn't think of a case of 1 in the past 4 years. Seems like the support network is really something! Ahhhh so thats what the 55% quote was, the downside of being in group 1 at the very back and noises nearby!

We should have all worn some sort of badge or armband like a secret society to identify each other. I didn't find any TSR or NMM peeps and a few of those I did speak didn't know as much as I expected them to haha

That is pretty good!

Group 1 too, I reckon I could pick you out of a line up. I may be guilty of causing the ruckus though. :tongue:
Original post by Zorg

there were SO many people trying to freak each other out yesterday zzzz. Also to the people trying to be funny and memorable in the presentation at the beginning, i cringed for you
Original post by Zorg
That is pretty good!

Group 1 too, I reckon I could pick you out of a line up. I may be guilty of causing the ruckus though. :tongue:

Which of the clinical skills sessions did you end up in? lol maybe but he may have just mumbled it a bit, there was 3-4 other guys by me who couldn't hear him either. One of them thought he said the course had a 55% drop out rate! Would have been a bit worried if that was what he had meant.
Reply 272
I really enjoyed my day. I went to one of the undergrad general open days in the summer when there were no students so I think I got to see a bit more than I would have on yesterday's campus tour. Did anyone make it to the beach? It's amazing!

I think the downside of it being a small department during term time was that everything had to be squished into one day so it was all a bit more rushed and superficial than the Notts day. A full day would have been more relaxed and we could have got to know each other that bit better.
Reply 273
Original post by ceciafb
there were SO many people trying to freak each other out yesterday zzzz. Also to the people trying to be funny and memorable in the presentation at the beginning, i cringed for you

I was only joking. Now we're all at interview, we're all on a level playing field and given that interviews are over a month away trying to freak someone out now would be a wasted effort.
In fact you'd probably only reinforce their resilience to it, which be very important when the psychological warfare really kicks off on interview day :colone:

Which of the clinical skills sessions did you end up in? lol maybe but he may have just mumbled it a bit, there was 3-4 other guys by me who couldn't hear him either. One of them thought he said the course had a 55% drop out rate! Would have been a bit worried if that was what he had meant.

We were the very last to leave. I could be wrong, but I don't think you were in our clinical skills session.

They didn't really use the mic effectively, but I think that's more down to poor integration with technology on the clinicians part than anything else.
We were the very last to leave. I could be wrong, but I don't think you were in our clinical skills session.

They didn't really use the mic effectively, but I think that's more down to poor integration with technology on the clinicians part than anything else.

Haha I got put into the CPR group. Would have much preferred one of the other 3 really but oh well. Oh wait...were you in the blood pressure taking group, the seemed to take forever doing theres while the auscultation group were in and out in minutes. May have missed the coach to the station while asking the 2 first years running CPR questions.
Reply 275

Haha I got put into the CPR group. Would have much preferred one of the other 3 really but oh well. Oh wait...were you in the blood pressure taking group, the seemed to take forever doing theres while the auscultation group were in and out in minutes. May have missed the coach to the station while asking the 2 first years running CPR questions.

I wasn't in the CPR group and group 1's auscultation group were not in and out in minutes... I think some people left part way through.
Quite glad I wasn't in CPR, done it twice at open days and formally with the Trust.

Did you get a look at the gym?

All in all quite a good day, Swansea is now nosing into top choice for me :tongue:

Original post by M150
I really enjoyed my day. I went to one of the undergrad general open days in the summer when there were no students so I think I got to see a bit more than I would have on yesterday's campus tour. Did anyone make it to the beach? It's amazing!

I think the downside of it being a small department during term time was that everything had to be squished into one day so it was all a bit more rushed and superficial than the Notts day. A full day would have been more relaxed and we could have got to know each other that bit better.

I did laugh when they said they were one of the smallest GEM cohorts, pretty sure they're third or fourth largest :tongue:

I'd have preferred a day without any of this pre-subject open day lark. The GEM open day earlier in the year was run as such and was much better, though if I recall correctly it wasn't a whole day it simply started at 12pm. I do agree though, a much more relaxed visit day would have been nicer.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zorg
I wasn't in the CPR group and group 1's auscultation group were not in and out in minutes... I think some people left part way through.
Quite glad I wasn't in CPR, done it twice at open days and formally with the Trust.

All in all quite a good day, Swansea is now nosing into top choice for me :tongue:

I do CPR practice that often in St John so I know the feeling. Haha it just seemed like it as I turned around and 3-4 suddenly walked out.

No didn't get a chance to you?. Arrived on the last coach so 5 of us got a mini tour around the Student union building then it was time for the talks. God that building is a labyrinth!

I know what you mean it is currently strong second with possibility to replace liverpool.
Reply 277
I do CPR practice that often in St John so I know the feeling. Haha it just seemed like it as I turned around and 3-4 suddenly walked out.

No didn't get a chance to you?. Arrived on the last coach so 5 of us got a mini tour around the Student union building then it was time for the talks. God that building is a labyrinth!

I know what you mean it is currently strong second with possibility to replace liverpool.

Nah, a few of us gave up the tours after the initial talk and campus tour debacle. I imagine the gym will be functional, as the uni have a strong rugby interest they should have a decent coach who knows what equipment he needs. Just hope he shares it too :tongue:
Reply 278
Original post by Zorg

I did laugh when they said they were one of the smallest GEM cohorts, pretty sure they're third or fourth largest :tongue:

I'd have preferred a day without any of this pre-subject open day lark. The GEM open day earlier in the year was run as such and was much better, though if I recall correctly it wasn't a whole day it simply started at 12pm. I do agree though, a much more relaxed visit day would have been nicer.

They might have a bigger GEM cohort but they'll probably be one of the smaller schools due to the lack of undergrads. The lecturers seemed nice and friendly which is a plus.
Reply 279
Original post by M150
They might have a bigger GEM cohort but they'll probably be one of the smaller schools due to the lack of undergrads. The lecturers seemed nice and friendly which is a plus.

That is a fair point. The academics and clinicians seem like a really nice lot, big plus in my book.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending