The Student Room Group

What does everyone think of The Tab Student News Site?

Poll

What do you think of The Tab

For some odd reason TSR will not allow me to link to The Tabb so just type in The Tab student new site into Google. It has the highest readership of any student news site certainly within the UK, however what are your views on it. Do you like it, if not why not.

By the way Google Tab Totty for the win.
Reply 1
It's a pathetic cross between LadBible and The Sun. A petri-dish for scum and the anus of the internet.
Original post by Arkasia
It's a pathetic cross between LadBible and The Sun. A petri-dish for scum and the anus of the internet.

Considering that The Tab has been around for much longer than The Lad Bible, surely such a comparison is inadequate.
Original post by Arkasia

Furthermore, It is not an elitist like say The Oxford Student so surely that is good?
Reply 4
Original post by captainbanter
Considering that The Tab has been around for much longer than The Lad Bible, surely such a comparison is inadequate.

Hardly, since I am stating similarities, not insinuating it copied either site.
Reply 5
Furthermore, It is not an elitist like say The Oxford Student so surely that is good?

It doesn't get brownie points for 'not' being something. Just because it isn't elitist, doesn't make it any better (especially when it is as poor as The Tab).
Original post by Arkasia
Hardly, since I am stating similarities, not insinuating it copied either site.

It has 2 million readers a month and students are supposed to be educated and able to choose their news discerningly so The Tab must be doing something right?
Original post by Arkasia
It doesn't get brownie points for 'not' being something. Just because it isn't elitist, doesn't make it any better (especially when it is as poor as The Tab).

It is respected by major newspapers such as The Daily Telegraph.
Reply 8
It has 2 million readers a month and students are supposed to be educated and able to choose their news discerningly so The Tab must be doing something right?

And the Sun is the most widely read newspaper in the UK, yet it is still rubbish. Quantity =/= quality.
Original post by Arkasia
And the Sun is the most widely read newspaper in the UK, yet it is still rubbish. Quantity =/= quality.

The Tab is respected by The Daily Telegraph which is certainly not a rubbish 'newspaper', so there must be something to it.
Original post by Arkasia

We have wasted enough time with this already,

either he is a troll, in which case it is pointless

or

he is too stupid to understand logic, and any attempt to do so will fail.

yes this is an either or fallacy (bet he didn't notice)
Reply 11
Some stuff on there is funny but other times it's just stupid, so I voted neutral.
The Tab is respected by The Daily Telegraph which is certainly not a rubbish 'newspaper', so there must be something to it.

It is not 'respected', it has held one or two journalism training events with the Telegraph, hardly an endorsement.
Just another student news source. Most student journalism is very poor. The Tab is no exception but I still found myself reading it as much as my other student newspaper. Both together give more of an idea of the news around the uni.
Original post by Arkasia
It is not 'respected', it has held one or two journalism training events with the Telegraph, hardly an endorsement.

It is respected, some Tab writers have gone on to write for The Daily Telegraph and The Tabs founder wrote a blog for The Daily Telegraph.
Original post by Toriar
Some stuff on there is funny but other times it's just stupid, so I voted neutral.

What are your feelings in regard to Tab Totty?
It is respected, some Tab writers have gone on to write for The Daily Telegraph and The Tabs founder wrote a blog for The Daily Telegraph.

Writing a blog for a website is not much of an achievement, look at the Grauniad's CIF section. Also, writers going on to write for the Telegraph does not reflect on the Tab as a whole, it reflects on the individual writer, but if you are talking about Tab writers, who in particular? Godfrey Bloom, perhaps?
Indeed all of your other ones are gobbledegook and yes there was something appallingly wrong in your writing, it lacked proper grammar and syntax as well as sentence structure.

grammar is a convention not obligatory for infomal situations

care to point out any actual problems
Original post by Arkasia
Writing a blog for a website is not much of an achievement, look at the Grauniad's CIF section. Also, writers going on to write for the Telegraph does not reflect on the Tab as a whole, it reflects on the individual writer, but if you are talking about Tab writers, who in particular? Godfrey Bloom, perhaps?

You seem a very angry individual. Are you involved in a rival student publication or were you rejected from writing for The Tab yourself?
You seem a very angry individual. Are you involved in a rival student publication or were you rejected from writing for The Tab yourself?

Character assassination, how cute. You seem to have a personal stake in defending The Tab, may I ask why?

Quick Reply

Latest