The Student Room Group

C": Differentiation QUESTION (MATHS HELP)

I don't understand what to do..

lol, that feel when forgetting to release shift :smile:
Original post by creativebuzz
I don't understand what to do..

2x + y + 1 = 0

is the same as

y = -2x - 1 which means the gradient of that line is -2 and you want tangents parallel to that..
Original post by crayolaguy
lol, that feel when forgetting to release shift :smile:

What are you talking about? :tongue:
What are you talking about? :tongue:

on your title you wrote C" instead of C2, unless C" is a maths module I don't know about.
2x + y + 1 = 0

is the same as

y = -2x - 1 which means the gradient of that line is -2 and you want tangents parallel to that..

Oh yeah, I understood that but I didn't know how to find the x coordinates because, for example, if I set x = 0 in question (a) then I'm left with x = 0, which I wasn't sure was true..
on your title you wrote C" instead of C2, unless C" is a maths module I don't know about.

Oh ahah, no I meant C2 :tongue:
Oh yeah, I understood that but I didn't know how to find the x coordinates because, for example, if I set x = 0 in question (a) then I'm left with x = 0, which I wasn't sure was true..

Just differentiate and then make that equal to -2.
Just differentiate and then make that equal to -2.

Omg of course! How did that not hit me! :P Thank you very much! :biggrin:
Omg of course! How did that not hit me! :P Thank you very much! :biggrin:

Haha it's alright. Theres not that much stuff they can throw at you with this tangents and normals stuff so after you've done lots of questions the steps become clear.
Haha it's alright. Theres not that much stuff they can throw at you with this tangents and normals stuff so after you've done lots of questions the steps become clear.

That's a very good point! (Positive rating given for thanks) :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest