The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Quick question for PGCE Primary students who started from Sept 2014 (2014/15 academic year). Did you get an ITT bursary? I've been checking here http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/funding/postgraduate-funding and with my first class degree, I should get £9,000. But this table is for 2015/16 academic year. Is it not in effect this year? I ask because I've secured a place to start Sept 2015 but there's an opportunity to start in February 2015. Feb would be classed as 2014/15 academic year. I'd love to start in Feb but if starting early means losing £9,000 this might affect my decision.
Original post by Veggiechic6
Quick question for PGCE Primary students who started from Sept 2014 (2014/15 academic year). Did you get an ITT bursary? I've been checking here http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/funding/postgraduate-funding and with my first class degree, I should get £9,000. But this table is for 2015/16 academic year. Is it not in effect this year? I ask because I've secured a place to start Sept 2015 but there's an opportunity to start in February 2015. Feb would be classed as 2014/15 academic year. I'd love to start in Feb but if starting early means losing £9,000 this might affect my decision.

Primary do get a 4k bursary but I'm not sure for the current year whether or not that goes up to 9,000 for a first. I presume it does as it does with my subject and other non priority subjects.
Original post by Veggiechic6

Original post by Samus2
Primary do get a 4k bursary but I'm not sure for the current year whether or not that goes up to 9,000 for a first. I presume it does as it does with my subject and other non priority subjects.

I'm pretty sure it is still £9000 for a first for this academic year. No need to worry! You lucky thing :P
I've still not started my placement yet. Did some team teaching with someone in my class and was going to take a GCSE class this week but couldn't do it as been signed off by my GP; however these hours were just to cover for a teacher whose off. I'm worried I'm not going to get enough hours to pass the course and wondering if I'm just wasting my time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gemmam
I've still not started my placement yet. Did some team teaching with someone in my class and was going to take a GCSE class this week but couldn't do it as been signed off by my GP; however these hours were just to cover for a teacher whose off. I'm worried I'm not going to get enough hours to pass the course and wondering if I'm just wasting my time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel quite similar to you. I have had quite a lot of absence, and I'm due to have even more for an operation. Most people on my course have been teaching loads, but I think maybe in total I've taught about ten hours so far....when I should have been doing seven a week for the past month or so. The next couple of weeks won't add much to this either, for various reasons.

I feel extremely ill equipped for the next placement. I'm dreading it.
Original post by Airfairy
I feel quite similar to you. I have had quite a lot of absence, and I'm due to have even more for an operation. Most people on my course have been teaching loads, but I think maybe in total I've taught about ten hours so far....when I should have been doing seven a week for the past month or so. The next couple of weeks won't add much to this either, for various reasons.

I feel extremely ill equipped for the next placement. I'm dreading it.

Sorry to hear that, when do you start your next placement?

I was meant to start it early October however my mentor went on bereavement leave. She's been back since and I've emailed her quite a few times which she didn't reply to and managed to get hold of her once on the phone (she said she'd ring me back but she didn't). A few people on my course are in the same boat as me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Taught my year 8s today and I loved it and my feedback was good. It's my first mentor observation first thing tomorrow and I'm just hoping my differentation is enough to cover me because that's the one thing I get pulled on. I'm doing it, I just need to do more is all.

One of the pupils I was helping out in an after school session said I was a brilliant teacher and it's really made my week :')
Hi all,

I'm an NQT who just qualified from a BE.d in Primary Ed this year. During my training I noticed there wasn't many good websites for trainee primary school teachers (apart from TES/resource sites).

I'm putting together a professional site to help trainee's and would love to know what kind of things you'd like to see on there. E.g. advice on observations, getting into Uni, personal statements, lesson plan ideas, display photos, downloads.

Any feedback would be appreciated and I'll make sure to come back and provide a link to the website when its ready :smile:

Steph

Please quote me so I can see your reply!!!
Hi all,

I'm an NQT who just qualified from a BE.d in Primary Ed this year. During my training I noticed there wasn't many good websites for trainee primary school teachers (apart from TES/resource sites).

I'm putting together a professional site to help trainee's and would love to know what kind of things you'd like to see on there. E.g. advice on observations, getting into Uni, personal statements, lesson plan ideas, display photos, downloads.

Any feedback would be appreciated and I'll make sure to come back and provide a link to the website when its ready :smile:

Steph

Original post by gemmam
Sorry to hear that, when do you start your next placement?

I was meant to start it early October however my mentor went on bereavement leave. She's been back since and I've emailed her quite a few times which she didn't reply to and managed to get hold of her once on the phone (she said she'd ring me back but she didn't). A few people on my course are in the same boat as me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Early October? So do you have three placements? I have two placements...first one is the one I'm on now and that's until Christmas, and I start the next on Feb.

Sorry to hear about your mentor. It is an awkward one. At least you're not alone with this. I think schools and unis must have seen these types of things happen before!

I'm having a logistical nightmare trying to organise my observation. Which has been made even worse by me sending my really important-must-read-now-and-reply-fast e-mail to the wrong bloody e-mail address, so I was waiting all day for a reply and getting angry he wasn't replying and I hadn't even sent it to him. I feel like a flipping idiot! I blame outlook's "check names" feature. :lol:
Original post by Airfairy
Early October? So do you have three placements? I have two placements...first one is the one I'm on now and that's until Christmas, and I start the next on Feb.

Sorry to hear about your mentor. It is an awkward one. At least you're not alone with this. I think schools and unis must have seen these types of things happen before!

I'm having a logistical nightmare trying to organise my observation. Which has been made even worse by me sending my really important-must-read-now-and-reply-fast e-mail to the wrong bloody e-mail address, so I was waiting all day for a reply and getting angry he wasn't replying and I hadn't even sent it to him. I feel like a flipping idiot! I blame outlook's "check names" feature. :lol:

We don't have a set number of placements just need to do 100 teaching hours; mines FE so guess Primary and Secondary are done differentially. Its annoying but easy done Ive made mistakes like that myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I've been told I will fail my first placement :frown:, if I pass my second placement would I get the QTS? or would I need to repeat my first placement?

Anyone know?
Original post by Itstough
Hi, I've been told I will fail my first placement :frown:, if I pass my second placement would I get the QTS? or would I need to repeat my first placement?

Anyone know?

Sorry to hear that! Have you had any feedback as to why?

I'm pretty sure that at my uni you redo 1st placement when you would have done 2nd.
Hi,

I haven't started a PGCE yet but I'm planning to do one in Primary Education after my undergraduate degree. Is there anything I can be doing now to maximise my chances of being accepted on a course? I'm already looking into volunteering with a Rainbows group and working with kids at a summer camp. Is there anything else you'd recommend? I'm not looking into work experience in schools just yet as i'm only in the first year of my degree, and as i've volunteered before and know I want to do primary ed there's no point doing any more work experience until further down the line.

Many thanks in advance for any useful advice! :-)
Original post by Esmeralda4
Sorry to hear that! Have you had any feedback as to why?

I'm pretty sure that at my uni you redo 1st placement when you would have done 2nd.

It is because of my professionalism, teaching was good, but i didnt mark the books properly and didnt follow school behaviour policies, i created my own system which was working but other teachers complained that students were then making trouble in other classes as my rules in class were different to what they shouldve been.

Although kids were all well behaved in my classes, i can see now that i shouldve followed what was the school policy
Original post by flower124
Hi,

I haven't started a PGCE yet but I'm planning to do one in Primary Education after my undergraduate degree. Is there anything I can be doing now to maximise my chances of being accepted on a course? I'm already looking into volunteering with a Rainbows group and working with kids at a summer camp. Is there anything else you'd recommend? I'm not looking into work experience in schools just yet as i'm only in the first year of my degree, and as i've volunteered before and know I want to do primary ed there's no point doing any more work experience until further down the line.

Many thanks in advance for any useful advice! :-)

Work experience in schools. Seriously, you cannot do too much of it, plus it's difficult to get. My uni doesn't recognise Brownies or summer camp work as anything more than an extra- you must must must have classroom experience. Try and get into as many different stages as possible, and if you can, go to different schools too. You might also find out that it's not actually for you.
Original post by Stephss
Hi all,

Steph

I think there should definitely be a community element, either as a chat room, forum or comment facility. It's very helpful to talk to others.

It would be nice to have sort of wiki entries about different theories or concepts, which explain, give a few examples then allow others to share/discuss. For example, summative assessment could explain what it is common methods and resources used, show some recording methods.

A jargon/acronym dictionary would be good too. And links to important govt documents as well as useful archived ones and resources sites.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juichiro
Could you be more elaborate? Did she had mental health problems or some sort of psychopathic behaviour?

No, I exaggerate to make a point, but she was both unable to control the class and unable to see that was a problem, and her subject knowledge was entirely inadequate. I can't recall the details now as it's about 20 years ago. She passed the course and got a job.
Feeling really low :frown:
Aww im feeling really sad that so many people are feeling negative right now. Its almost xmas break guys, chin up all and well get there and well all get a well earned rest xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending