The Student Room Group

why are people still denying that zidane is the best player to have ever lived?

in 98 he won france their first ever world cup:

in 2006 he came out of retirement as an old man and single-handedly carried them to the final, schooling the best teams and players in the process:

who scores a penalty like this 0-0 in a world cup final?

who scores a champions league winner like this... ever?

the guy went to italy, won everything there. went to spain, won everything there. also won every international tournament being the start player

what more does a guy have to do? compare those world cup performances to messi's in brazil. zidane is clearly god-tier while messi is just a superstar

messi had every chance of carrying argentina to win a world cup but couldn't do it cos he's not on the same level as fat ronaldo or zidane. i guarantee u if zidane played in that argentina team instead of messi germany would not have won.

he's played in the biggest competitions with and against the best players in the world and still schooled everyone. there really isn't much more he can do lol, what do u guys want from him? we all dream of playing football like this lets not lie
Reply 1

ok im done. /thread plz
Reply 2
Has he led to numerous average teams to glory single-handedly like Maradonna? (No pun intended). No he did not.
I think I think he's the best ever as well, but my vision may be clouded by the temptation to say someone other than Messi/Maradonna

Best midfielder ever anyway no doubt, feels good to have seen him live.
Thanks for the lesson.

I'm sure none of us knew that Zidane had won a World Cup and the other honours he picked up over his career.

Teams win trophies not individuals. **** thread.
He's got nothing on John Obi Mikel.
Reply 6
Thanks for the list of trophies he's won

As Wilfred said, without the team he had behind him they wouldn't have won.

While there is no question he is one of the best ever, I don't think he's the best.

And good God Messi didn't have every chance of carrying Argentina to win the World Cup. Excluding Argentina's strike force their team is far from special. The teams Zidane played under have been very good.
Reply 7
Original post by Zander01
Has he led to numerous average teams to glory single-handedly like Maradonna? (No pun intended). No he did not.
lol that france team in 2006 was pretty awful tbh. there's a reason they had to call zidane out of retirement. other than zidane all i can remember is malouda and henry missing free goals over and over again.

did u not see how he single-handedly schooled brazil (tournament favourites)? the 1 assist that knocked brazil out of that cup was worth 300 messi goals.

the guy is a god-tier player so why should he play for an average team? he's played with and against the best teams/players in the world yet still consistently stood out every time.

meanwhile messi is getting outshone by sh;tters like mascherano and zabaleta in the world cup, whats that all about man. if zidane had played for argentina instead of messi they would have won the world cup. i've never seen someone 1v11 every match in the world cup rofl, its just insane

where's maradonas champions league title bro (or w/e it was called back in the day)? the guy can attempt zidane's champions league final volley 200 times in training and still not connect with it the way zidane did.

what a god.
Is he even the greatest French player ever? Platini says hi.
Oh look it's the Zidane troll again. Thought we'd got rid of you.
Reply 10
haha people are legit denying that france in 2006 was a 1 man show?

Original post by sr90
Oh look it's the Zidane troll again. Thought we'd got rid of you.

Is it the same guy from years ago?

Edit: Okay it is. I remember he posted the Switzerland video last time too.
Reply 12
[QUOTE="AdamCee;52038357"]Thanks for the list of trophies he's won

Original post by AdamCee
As Wilfred said, without the team he had behind him they wouldn't have won.
without zidane the team would not have won.

whats ur point? he won the world cup because he had a better team? even though he was the best player in that team? lol.. if u took zidane out of that team would they have won the world cup?

ok he played with a better team but he also played against a better team (brazil in 98 were insane). and best thing is, zidane still stood out in a pitch full of top-tier players. messi gets outshone by mascherano and zabaleta ffs.

Original post by AdamCee
And good God Messi didn't have every chance of carrying Argentina to win the World Cup. Excluding Argentina's strike force their team is far from special. The teams Zidane played under have been very good.
haha u really telling me that argentina vs germany game was uncarriable? it was a completely balanced match and messi should have been the difference but nope. he covered 3 inches at most that game and did **** all. in the end a 20 year old kid taught him how to win world cups lol

i mean how does he deserve a better team if his teammates are playing better than him? that france team in 2006 really was garbage. they cheated to qualify, henry missed like 200 clear cut chances, gallas played poo. ribery and malouda were just a bunch of kids. they would have gotten nowhere without zidane. deschamps calling zidane out of retirement was the best management decision in the history of football lol

here's another one for u, friend:

take notes.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by snoop_frog
lol that france team in 2006 was pretty awful tbh. there's a reason they had to call zidane out of retirement. other than zidane all i can remember is malouda and henry missing free goals over and over again.

did u not see how he single-handedly schooled brazil (tournament favourites)? the 1 assist that knocked brazil out of that cup was worth 300 messi goals.

the guy is a god-tier player so why should he play for an average team? he's played with and against the best teams/players in the world yet still consistently stood out every time.

meanwhile messi is getting outshone by sh;tters like mascherano and zabaleta in the world cup, whats that all about man. if zidane had played for argentina instead of messi they would have won the world cup. i've never seen someone 1v11 every match in the world cup rofl, its just insane

where's maradonas champions league title bro (or w/e it was called back in the day)? the guy can attempt zidane's champions league final volley 200 times in training and still not connect with it the way zidane did.

what a god.

Yes, I mean imagine being stuck with Abidal, Vieira, Gallas, Malouda, Thurdam, Trezeguet, Henry and Ribery. Terrible team :rolleyes: Why couldn't he win them the world cup? Did he choke in the final?

Maradona pretty much single handedly won a world cup and again led an unexceptional Argentina team to another final basically on one leg in 1990.

All while being on drugs. Imagine how good he would have been if he was totally clean?
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Is he even the greatest French player ever? Platini says hi.

Older people Ive spoken to tend to see Platini as overrated. Certainly the outstanding Frenchman of his generation, but that was a poor era for French football generally so the tendency to overhype him is there. Not to mention that he spent most of his career in Ligue 1, and many would say that Liam Brady was better for Juve anyway.

All while being on drugs. Imagine how good he would have been if he was totally clean?

Was Maradonna on the gear when he was pulling off those wonder goals and the hand of god etc? Probably wouldnt have attempted them had he been sober.

Many had Messi cut himself a few lines pre-match the other month then he might have been braver in the WC final :laugh:
Reply 16
Yes, I mean imagine being stuck with Abidal, Vieira, Gallas, Malouda, Thurdam, Trezeguet, Henry and Ribery. Terrible team :rolleyes: Why couldn't he win them the world cup? Did he choke in the final?

Maradona pretty much single handedly won a world cup and again led an unexceptional Argentina team to another final basically on one leg in 1990.

ribery and malouda were kids, every time they had the ball they passed it straight to zidane. remember this was before they made a name for themselves

gallas? he had an average tournament, wouldn't even make top 5 defenders list in that WC.

henry? played bad. missed so many chances

trezeguet? wasn't he on the bench the entire tournament rofl. didnt he miss a penalty in the world cup final?

viera? he was wayyy passed his time

meanwhile brazil had cafu, roberto carlos, juninho, gilberto silva, kaka, ronaldinho, fat ronaldo. how did this team lose? because of one player; zidane.

plz look at the zidane vs brazil video in my first post, how is that not a hard carry against a much stronger team? i don't understand what ur trying to defend lol. take a look at the video, u really gonna deny that that match was 1v11?

funny how people point to the lineup and say zidane had an insane team when really he was playing with retired/old people (thuram, makelele) and young nobody's (malouda, ribery, sagnol). henry was very bad and trezeguet didn't do much in the little game time that he had

literally a 1 man team lol.

who choked in the world cup final? trezeguet missed the penalty right? zidane was the reason they even made it passed the 45 minute mark son.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
3/10, at least you made an effort
Reply 18
As great as Zidane was he was I would always put Messi and Ronaldo ahead. Zidane was a better playmaker but that requires players around you; Messi and Ronaldo appear to be able to score at will at times and for that I'd always pick them

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest