The Student Room Group

Graduate unemployed for 8 months I feel like I am going crazy

Same old story I can't get a job without experience but I need experience to get a job.

I have tried applying to graduate/non graduate jobs and still no luck. I am just sick of it all. I am just so tired of waking up every morning applying to jobs then getting no replies and repeating that every single day for nearly 8 months of my life.
I am also at a significant disadvantage because I have no contacts in businesses.

I tried restaurants, warehouse jobs, admin, sales and no success so far.
For the very few interviews I've been to they rejected me because I had no experience in the job I was interviewing for.

How the hell can a graduate get experience in this day and age?

Scroll to see replies

Yeah I hate this paradox best thing is to build rapport with recruiters so that they become your friend, likeability is an important feature.
Reply 2
Original post by jam277
Yeah I hate this paradox best thing is to build rapport with recruiters so that they become your friend, likeability is an important feature.

In my opinion recruiters are the worst they're very useless for in dealing with grads
Original post by _icecream
Same old story I can't get a job without experience but I need experience to get a job.

I have tried applying to graduate/non graduate jobs and still no luck. I am just sick of it all. I am just so tired of waking up every morning applying to jobs then getting no replies and repeating that every single day for nearly 8 months of my life.
I am also at a significant disadvantage because I have no contacts in businesses.

For the very few interviews I've been to they rejected me because I had no experience in the job I was interviewing for.

Get a masters at a top 10 (everyone here says it is so easy to get into them).
Reply 4
In my opinion recruiters are the worst they're very useless for in dealing with grads

I know a lot of volunteering needs references but have you considered it? Some organisations are voluntary places which are catered to people who have had difficulty applying for work because of the experience/references problem. You could try them if there's one near you. The one in my town is mainly cafe and shop work so maybe not what you want ideally but still better than nothing.

If you're claiming jobseekers perhaps there are volunteering limits though

What did you graduate in? Fair enough if you don't want to answer for whatever reason :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by nohomo
I know a lot of volunteering needs references but have you considered it? Some organisations are voluntary places which are catered to people who have had difficulty applying for work because of the experience/references problem. You could try them if there's one near you. The one in my town is mainly cafe and shop work so maybe not what you want ideally but still better than nothing.

If you're claiming jobseekers perhaps there are volunteering limits though

What did you graduate in? Fair enough if you don't want to answer for whatever reason :smile:

I have tried charity shops but they require like 3 references etc
I even got rejected when I offered to work for free at companies. My degree is in Maths got 2:2 so not great
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
I was unemployed for 8 months when I graduated as well, the Jobcentre helped me get a work experience placement and also a few interviews for admin/accounts roles. Have you signed on with the Jobcentre?
Reply 7
Original post by Luhar
I was unemployed for 8 months when I graduated as well, the Jobcentre helped me get a work experience placement and also a few interviews for admin/accounts roles. Have you signed on with the Jobcentre?

Yes I signed on but they have not been as helpful in finding me placements so I just go there to get my benefits where I get treated like scum once every 2 weeks even though I try my best to get work
Reply 8
I have tried charity shops but they require like 3 references etc
I even got rejected when I offered to work for free at companies. My degree is in Maths got 2:2 so not great

Yes I signed on but they have not been as helpful in finding me placements so I just go there to get my benefits where I get treated like scum once every 2 weeks even though I try my best to get work

2:2 in maths impresses me :smile:

I had to drop out of maths on mental health grounds.

Good luck with your job search. Are they really that bad in the job centre? The people in my one are nice...at least the ones I've met.
Reply 9

Did your placement year during your degree not go so well?
Volunteer....
Crazy doing absolutely nothing for a year. Summer holidays drive me crazy enough. Then again you have earned a rest after a degree, in a way. You need experience badly if you have none though.

If you don't have any experience, you would be lucky to get away without doing some unpaid work to get you on the ladder.

Hi, if I could give you a virtual hug, I would. I was in the exact same situation 2 years ago when I graduated. The economy is really bad at the moment and has been for a number of years - we're in a unique set of circumstances so first of all, don't feel bad about yourself.

I was unemployed for quite a while after graduating.

My advice is: don't see this as doors being closed - look closer and find out which ones are still open. Even if they are opportunities that you would have never considered or imagined doing - test the waters, it could lead to something. Ask you adviser about any new companies starting up in your local area or companies having large staff recruitment drives, part time/temp work (could lead to something). You have to start right at the bottom and work up - you probably have realized this.

You will find something, don't lose hope. In between job searching make sure that you look after yourself physically and mentally - go for a walk in the park, watch an inspiring movie, talk to people. It won't last forever.
This might not seem the best option but have you considered recruitment agencies for jobs? That's how I've got my 1st job with no related experience.
I was unemployed for 4 months after finishing Uni. I had no work experience, no contacts, no references apart from Uni tutor, and have social anxiety. I applied for well over 300 jobs. The job center treated me like scum too. I was losing hope and was just about to be forced into taking a work experience placement when I was offered a job in a warehouse in October, and then another job a week later. I took the warehouse one and I really enjoy it!. I have a job lined up with the police in Feb too. Don't lose hope. You'll find one!.
Reply 15
Original post by ForgetMe
This might not seem the best option but have you considered recruitment agencies for jobs? That's how I've got my 1st job with no related experience.

Recruitment agencies are the biggest scum of earth, so far I've had no positive experience with any of them. I've had a couple of recruiters send me to some interviews but I didn't pass any of the interviews they've send me to. They then don't want anything to do with me the b*****
Reply 16
Original post by Costalo
I was unemployed for 4 months after finishing Uni. I had no work experience, no contacts, no references apart from Uni tutor, and have social anxiety. I applied for well over 300 jobs. The job center treated me like scum too. I was losing hope and was just about to be forced into taking a work experience placement when I was offered a job in a warehouse in October, and then another job a week later. I took the warehouse one and I really enjoy it!. I have a job lined up with the police in Feb too. Don't lose hope. You'll find one!.

At least you was unemployed for only 4 months it's gonna be 2015 nearly a year since I graduated and yet no job
Reply 17
Original post by hellodave5
Volunteer....
Crazy doing absolutely nothing for a year. Summer holidays drive me crazy enough. Then again you have earned a rest after a degree, in a way. You need experience badly if you have none though.

I get rejected from volunteering posts because I don't have references
At least you was unemployed for only 4 months it's gonna be 2015 nearly a year since I graduated and yet no job

Without wanting to sound harsh, the fact that you've not managed to get a menial job suggests the problem is you or your CV rather than lack of experience.

Get your CV printed off and go to every pub within 10 miles. From there you can make attempts to get a graduate job while working.
Have you thought about working abroad? I know a couple of people who did teaching English, nannying, au pairing etc in Europe for a year after graduation. That kind of work doesn't usually require experience/references and is pretty easy to get, and then after 6 months or a year you could come back having gained work experience and a better idea of what you would like to do. Just a thought!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending