The Student Room Group

I need alcohol just to feel normal. What's wrong with me ?

Please could I have some advice. I'm a 20 year old lad who needs some help. I get so stressed with university and life that I turn to alcohol and tobacco just to feel normal. Every evening I need at least 1 bottle of wine and 5 cigarettes just to stop being so 'on edge' and start relax. What's wrong with me ? Am I becoming addicted to alcohol ?
Jahe
I need alcohol just to feel normal.

Original post by Jahe
Am I becoming addicted to alcohol ?

Yes.
Reply 2
Original post by Jahe
Please could I have some advice. I'm a 20 year old lad who needs some help. I get so stressed with university and life that I turn to alcohol and tobacco just to feel normal. Every evening I need at least 1 bottle of wine and 5 cigarettes just to stop being so 'on edge' and start relax. What's wrong with me ? Am I becoming addicted to alcohol ?

are you irish? and im not taking the piss.
Original post by Mick.w
are you irish? and im not taking the piss.

No I'm not Irish, I'm from Surrey,
Reply 4
I think you should see your GP about it. A bottle of wine a day is several times over than the safe amount.
Reply 5
Original post by Maker
I think you should see your GP about it. A bottle of wine a day is several times over than the safe amount.

He might have a rule, "A bottle of wine a day keeps the doctor away."
Reply 6
That is a clear sign of alcohol addiction. You need to speak to your GP and get help for your problem. If you don't deal with it now, the problem can, and probably will get much worse.
Reply 7
Original post by Enoxial
He might have a rule, "A bottle of wine a day keeps the doctor away."

Its keeping the undertaker away thats more the issue.
You're an alcoholic. Occupy yourself with something else. Listen to classical or jazz music (or both!). Play chess. Anything except regular drinking.
Reply 9
Alcoholism is a-knocking on your door, friend. Sorry to hear that, genuinely.
One bottle of wine isn't that much tbh. Don't worry about it.
Original post by Jahe

Because life's **** mate and we all need to num ourselves once and a while.
Get to the gym - if you keep active it will make you feel better.

1 each night is pretty dangerous in the longterm as all the units add up. 1 glass (2 glasses is recommended daily intake i think) is far far less than 1 bottle - maybe about 10% or so of a bottle at a guess.

Obviously you can't go cold turkey because otherwise you will shock your body in a horrible way

1. First of all go to a doctor / councillor
2. Limit your intake to either 3/4 of a bottle of wine to begin with each night, OR take 1 or 2 'rest days' from the wine each week. Probably best if not consecutive if 2, because otherwise you might think you have to 'make up' for what you missed.
1. If you are naturally a saver, ring-fence your money so that you can't afford the £35 per week it costs to have a bottle of wine and 5 cigarettes every working day.
2. Go cold turkey. University rooms are small and having a bottle of wine in the room is quite as tempting as having your bed in the room.
3. Pick up another addictive hobby such as posting on TSR or playing computer games.
4. Work regularly in the library to a strict timetable, particularly in the evenings.

Quick Reply

Latest