The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by djavor
The uni of manc written interview questions completely threw me, wasn't expecting them at all :/

I'm there on Wednesday next week, where they bad? Are they speech therapy based? Haha
Original post by Ellice97
What did you email them saying? And um think between February and march, it's super scary x

I just said I am aware a lot of people have received interviews so far and I'm just wondering when I might hear anything :smile: indeed it's scary, I hope we hear much sooner!
How did you get on at BCU on Monday? I had to rearrange mine and am now going next Monday
Original post by Higlet
2 interviews down and just waiting on Leeds Becket!! I'm beginning to wish I'd applied to 4 speech therapy courses and 1 linguistics rather then 3 and 2 but I was too pessimistic about my chances! Just waiting on Leeds Becket to see if I've got an interview now!

It was so nice to chat to everyone I met at manchester met today and Birmingham City on Monday!! I hope everyone gets the offers they want and that in 3/4 years time we'll all be competing with each other to snatch a job :biggrin:

Just being nosey cos I didn't apply to Birmingham last year but were the written questions similar to MMU?
Original post by nesca89
Yeah I'm not too nervous about the rest :smile: we were on floor 2 hehe

Spend most of my life on the 2nd floor! I was there Wednesday until about 12.30pm
Reply 585
I was terrified, it was my first interview for SLT, but the staff there are so nice. Good luck keep calm and I'm sure you'll be fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 586
Original post by AmyPilot
Just being nosey cos I didn't apply to Birmingham last year but were the written questions similar to MMU?

Nope... Nothing like!!! I'd explain why but I'm not sure how much I'm supposed to put on this website about the interviews!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Higlet
Nope... Nothing like!!! I'd explain why but I'm not sure how much I'm supposed to put on this website about the interviews!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have sent you a PM
Original post by AmyPilot
I have to say I thought Sheffield was the worst interview experience I had last year - they were not very forthcoming and at times seemed to be trying to put people off - a current student has commented earlier with similar points about their interview style. I also had the feeling that they were really looking for more mature applicants (I was doing my A levels at the time) as the emphasis seemed to be on your experience (which is limited at 17!). I would be interested to know what the ratio is between mature students and college leavers. They kept everyone waiting a long time too. I know its a good university but it didn't do it for me.

It wouldn't do if we all liked the same things and it goes to show that each uni has its own preferences too.

Good luck to everyone with interviews and I hope todays interviews at BCU went well.

There are 8 mature students (a few but not all with previous undergrads). The rest are college leavers, a few have had a year out. I don't think it's about preferring mature students per se. Mature students have been on the planet, accumulating experience, for longer!
Guys, I'm getting really nervous. I thought I had been doing ok, until I noticed that everyone else got interviews at DMU, and that some people already have offers from Reading. I already know that I didn't get into DMU, but has EVERYBODY heard from Reading? I haven't heard anything and I'm starting to think that I won't get in anywhere :frown: However, the interview at BCU was great fun and it was awesome meeting everyone :smile: even if I don't get in, it was nice to meet everyone.
Original post by shawadagun
Guys, I'm getting really nervous. I thought I had been doing ok, until I noticed that everyone else got interviews at DMU, and that some people already have offers from Reading. I already know that I didn't get into DMU, but has EVERYBODY heard from Reading? I haven't heard anything and I'm starting to think that I won't get in anywhere :frown: However, the interview at BCU was great fun and it was awesome meeting everyone :smile: even if I don't get in, it was nice to meet everyone.

Hey! :smile:
Just chill, if they didn't like you they would have rejected you by now :wink: they've got a lot of applications to sift through and it's not even UCAS deadline yet - you'll be fine! Glad to hear you enjoyed your interview though, always a good sign :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 591
Original post by nesca89
I'm there on Wednesday next week, where they bad? Are they speech therapy based? Haha

Obviously i can't go into too much detail but i just thought they were not very straightforward and not what i was expecting. Some people probably got on aright with it tho!
Original post by djavor
Obviously i can't go into too much detail but i just thought they were not very straightforward and not what i was expecting. Some people probably got on aright with it tho!

I think it depends, I had an interview there last year and I was 2 points off getting in! Grr! But I remember the questions not being what I expected. It would be very useful if they were same questions as last time haha
Reply 593
Original post by nesca89
I think it depends, I had an interview there last year and I was 2 points off getting in! Grr! But I remember the questions not being what I expected. It would be very useful if they were same questions as last time haha

Fingers crossed for you! :smile:
Original post by Clivia
This is really really useful advice, thank you, especially as I'm applying to Sheffield as a mature student of a similar age as you. I also didn't do that well in my a-levels equivalent (abroad) but got a first in my BA degree, linguistics with a focus on language pathology, and lots of relevant additional modules. It was a bit humiliating to enter all of my awful a-levels into the ucas system though.
Are you in your first year? How long did it take for you to get offered an interview?
Sheffield is great indeed, I moved here last year and love it :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

I have been through two application cycles and did not mention my laughable A level results either time. Received offers in both cycles and it was not mentioned at all. Rookie mistake mentioning them!
Original post by evantej
I have been through two application cycles and did not mention my laughable A level results either time. Received offers in both cycles and it was not mentioned at all. Rookie mistake mentioning them!

That's reassuring to know. I got a C in single-award science at GCSE, and I assumed I would be restricted to SLT courses that don't ask for a double award or a B grade and above. It was frustrating to feel held back by a GCSE when I've since got high marks in psychology and linguistics modules at university. I'll try my luck with a few other places now.
Reply 596
Original post by shawadagun

I haven't heard from DMU or had an offer from Reading either. I am hoping it just depends on when you sent in your application and others that have heard back may have just sent theirs earlier.
Original post by Higlet

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey was wondering if you could let me on about sort of questions you had asked at BCU and MMU FOR slt?
Reply 598
Original post by naimah_786
Hey was wondering if you could let me on about sort of questions you had asked at BCU and MMU FOR slt?

Heya,
Unfortunately I can't tell you what sort of questions because I don't think I'm allowed to.
However in preparation for my interviews I did a quick google of SLT questions asked at interviews and thought of a few more myself!
But honestly, if speech therapy is the thing you really want to do and you show that passion in the questions they give you, hopefully you should be on a winner!
Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 599
Original post by evantej

Good to know. I didn't mention them for the postgraduate application but felt pressures by UCAS to put them in for the undergraduate (I really don't like the UCAS system.. can you tell?). Oh well, I got invited for interview nevertheless and someone from the department did tell me a previous undergraduate degree would override a-levels grades,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest