The Student Room Group

Coding Experience For Computer Science

Hi, i am currently doing AS Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing with the intent to drop Computing.

For Computing, we are expected to learn Python but i'm really struggling in it as i can't find the time to learn it while studying the 4 courses. I feel it is more beneficial to get the grades instead of learning to code and leave that for the summer holidays (i would spend a lot of that time doing so as i want to have some coding experience).

How important is having coding experience in terms of a competitive application assuming i have got the grades required?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by ayylmao12
Hi, i am currently doing AS Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing with the intent to drop Computing.

For Computing, we are expected to learn Python but i'm really struggling in it. I feel it is more beneficial to get the grades instead of learning to code and leave that for the summer holidays (i would spend a lot of that time doing so as i want to have some coding experience).

How important is having coding experience in terms of a competitive application assuming i have got the grades required?

What exam board are you on for computing? My exam board has a whole unit for programming. If you want I could help you with python.

Are we talking job application or uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For Computing, we are expected to learn Python but i'm really struggling in it. I feel it is more beneficial to get the grades instead of learning to code and leave that for the summer holidays (i would spend a lot of that time doing so as i want to have some coding experience).

You definitely don't need coding experience for a computer science degree, I'd assume that most people wouldn't have any serious programming experience. However, I would question whether or not computer science is the right direction for you if you're struggling with python which is pretty much as basic a programming language as you can get. Obviously, there's a lot more to computer science than programming but still...
Reply 3
Original post by Andy98
What exam board are you on for computing? My exam board has a whole unit for programming. If you want I could help you with python.

Are we talking job application or uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, i am doing OCR

This would be for a uni application.
Reply 4
Original post by Chlorophile
You definitely don't need coding experience for a computer science degree, I'd assume that most people wouldn't have any serious programming experience. However, I would question whether or not computer science is the right direction for you if you're struggling with python which is pretty much as basic a programming language as you can get. Obviously, there's a lot more to computer science than programming but still...

Well, it's more having the time to sit down and go through it rather than finding it difficult, sorry i may not have worded it well by saying struggling.
Reply 5
Hi, i am doing OCR

This would be for a uni application.

Well for uni, you don't need masses of experience. But you will have to program to a good level on the uni course (or at least from what I gather). Basically the more experience the better. Like chlorophile said I would question if it's your subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Andy98
Well for uni, you don't need masses of experience. But you will have to program to a good level on the uni course (or at least from what I gather). Basically the more experience the better. Like chlorophile said I would question if it's your subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That wouldn't be a problem if it is my only focus, at the moment i have 4 rather time-consuming subjects, if i only had to code (and maybe a bit of maths i think you do in the first year) i could quite comfortably manage that.
Reply 7
That wouldn't be a problem if it is my only focus, at the moment i have 4 rather time-consuming subjects, if i only had to code (and maybe a bit of maths i think you do in the first year) i could quite comfortably manage that.

I know the feeling - I'm on the same courses haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Andy98
I know the feeling - I'm on the same courses haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ayy lmao, i think maybe in the A2 year instead of computing i could spend that time doing it then, a year's worth should be sufficient
Reply 9
ayy lmao, i think maybe in the A2 year instead of computing i could spend that time doing it then, a year's worth should be sufficient

You see my problem is more: I can code, it's just the theory aspect that gets to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Andy98
You see my problem is more: I can code, it's just the theory aspect that gets to me

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think theory is pretty straightforward, well for OCR anyway, so far we've done datatypes, arrays, flowcharts, RAD, OSs, data representation and well components of a computer system which is all pretty straightforward.

Although you'll tell me now Python is straightfoward as well XD
Computer science isn't a programming course, it's more theory.
Reply 12
Original post by ThatDude007
Computer science isn't a programming course, it's more theory.

can you go further into that please?
Reply 13
I think theory is pretty straightforward, well for OCR anyway, so far we've done datatypes, arrays, flowcharts, RAD, OSs, data representation and well components of a computer system which is all pretty straightforward.

Although you'll tell me now Python is straightfoward as well XD

Yeah I mean I get the concepts, it's just they're picky on the words you use.

Python is one of the easiest languages to program in my opinion. However, you could learn every command in the language, but it's the process that you need to learn.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Andy98
Yeah I mean I get the concepts, it's just they're picky on the words you use.

Python is one of the easiest languages to program in my opinion. However, you could learn every command in the language, but it's the process that you need to learn.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True, but i suppose that makes the A level challenging and being specific is probably important when it comes to computing.

I started CodeAcademy and that goes slow but is well explained so i think i can manage it all, thanks for your replies!
Reply 15
True, but i suppose that makes the A level challenging and being specific is probably important when it comes to computing.

I started CodeAcademy and that goes slow but is well explained so i think i can manage it all, thanks for your replies!

Yeah I guess you're right there, it's just annoying when you hate words.

Ahh yes codecademy was how I learnt python, good website.:yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Andy98
Yeah I guess you're right there, it's just annoying when you hate words.

Ahh yes codecademy was how I learnt python, good website.:yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah i felt like that in some of my GCSEs which were stupidly specific, oh well, you gotta do what you gotta do eh?
Reply 17
Yeah i felt like that in some of my GCSEs which were stupidly specific, oh well, you gotta do what you gotta do eh?

Haha yeah true

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending