The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Current LSE student, ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

You mentioned that first year economics is similar to A Level in terms of the scope and difficulty of the material covered. What about maths?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 81
Economics is similar approx 65% the same but a bit more detail. Maths is much harder and longer.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by Aj_16
No I'm not. And 99% of the students at LSE are not Asian. There is a mix of students from a variety of countries. These including England, Scotland, France, Germany, China, India, Pakistan, Finland, Sweden and South Africa. Students are from everywhere - not just Asia.
I never implied that.
Reply 83
Original post by Namige
I never implied that.

This is what you asked me - "Are you asian? Just like 99% of the students there?"
Reply 84
I have a C as one of my predicitons for A level, would this have an affect on any outcome?
Do you think LSE will check with my school for recent assessments to see how one is doing?
For PS, how much (in terms of paragraphs/sentences) should one talk about read books and quotes. A book by Lawrence Dickey talking about and taking extracts from the "wealth of nations", is this an overused example as Wlthofnatns is very popular so could they think Im just chucking it in their to try and impress them?
hope you have a awesome time with your course!
Reply 85
Hey! I am planning on applying for BSc Management but I have been hearing very varied views about the course. I'll be glad if you can let me know:

1. Is it a good major? As in some say that its better to do something specific like Bsc Accounting or Bsc Economics rather than Management.

2. How well are graduates of Bsc Management paid?

3. Considering that I am an international student and the high amount of fees I'll have to pay, will it be worth it or would I rather do something else?

Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 86
Original post by Rkai01
I have a C as one of my predicitons for A level, would this have an affect on any outcome?
Do you think LSE will check with my school for recent assessments to see how one is doing?
For PS, how much (in terms of paragraphs/sentences) should one talk about read books and quotes. A book by Lawrence Dickey talking about and taking extracts from the "wealth of nations", is this an overused example as Wlthofnatns is very popular so could they think Im just chucking it in their to try and impress them?
hope you have a awesome time with your course!

Erm it depends how many A levels you are taking. That C will be less damaging if you are doing four and the other three are strong however if that C is one of three, to be honest its damaging, especially for LSE's notoriously competitive standards. Also its unlikely the LSE will check up on how you're doing, usually only Cambridge asks for those kind of portfolios.
I'd say a good 5 lines should be spend on talking about books and quotes. Make sure you know what you're talking about and make it concise. You're right many people use popular books such as Adam Smith's "Wealth of Nations" so try and use something more niche. I talked about a book called "the rise of and fall of long term capital management" which I knew not many people have heard of before. Best of luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by lub1960
Hey! I am planning on applying for BSc Management but I have been hearing very varied views about the course. I'll be glad if you can let me know:

1. Is it a good major? As in some say that its better to do something specific like Bsc Accounting or Bsc Economics rather than Management.
2. How well are graduates of Bsc Management paid?
3. Considering that I am an international student and the high amount of fees I'll have to pay, will it be worth it or would I rather do something else?

Thanks! :biggrin:

1) Yes. Management is one of the best courses you can do if you want to go in a managerial role after you graduate, especially from LSE. Accounting would be "better" if you wanted to be an accountant and Acturial science would be "better" if you wanted to be an Acturial Scientist etc etc. All courses are really good.
2)On the website there is a scale to check salaries of every course. All quantitative courses starting salaries are quite high. 3)This question is very subjective. Its up to you. I'd ask the question to yourself "Would I enjoy studying this course or not". If yes its a good course to do. If not maybe consider something else.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 88
Hey I am from zambia in Africa and beginning a law foundationcourse at bellerbys this january.....and want to apply to lse for this 2015...... What are the odds of me getting in.....
Do you know anyone in LSE who has been successfully able to transfer to a different degree programme?
Reply 90
Original post by Djangoo
Is it true that the atmosphere feels incredibly competitive (after you get in!) and cut-throat at LSE?
Also is being at a university where everyone is doing similar courses and has similar aspirations in your opinion a good thing or a bad thing?

As a second year BSc IR student I feel very strongly about this. Yes, it is incredibly competitive and cut throat.

Perfect example: last year I was in a study group for exams. There were about 15 people from my year in this. Only 3 showed up to meet. I will classify the three of us as following: 1) nerdy super intelligent girl who clearly thought she was superior to everyone, 2) me, in the middle, 3) a girl who is smart but still getting the hang of university (I was happy to help her with this). I don't even know how to start describing the first girl, but to sum it up, she was clearly disgusted with the both of us, had an attitude, and decided to cut the thing short because 'um, well ... yeah, I gotta be somewhere in like 10 minutes'. But before trotting off, she did ask us to sign a card for our 'famous' lecturer/teacher who she thought was super duper ... I bet he'll write up a nice reference. It's little things like this that have consistently soured my experience at LSE.
Original post by jco19
As a second year BSc IR student I feel very strongly about this. Yes, it is incredibly competitive and cut throat.

Perfect example: last year I was in a study group for exams. There were about 15 people from my year in this. Only 3 showed up to meet. I will classify the three of us as following: 1) nerdy super intelligent girl who clearly thought she was superior to everyone, 2) me, in the middle, 3) a girl who is smart but still getting the hang of university (I was happy to help her with this). I don't even know how to start describing the first girl, but to sum it up, she was clearly disgusted with the both of us, had an attitude, and decided to cut the thing short because 'um, well ... yeah, I gotta be somewhere in like 10 minutes'. But before trotting off, she did ask us to sign a card for our 'famous' lecturer/teacher who she thought was super duper ... I bet he'll write up a nice reference. It's little things like this that have consistently soured my experience at LSE.

Is this an experience just for IR, but for all students as well? I just got an offer for Economic History and I'd like to know if that applies to them as well.
Original post by kurofune
Is this an experience just for IR, but for all students as well? I just got an offer for Economic History and I'd like to know if that applies to them as well.

Your username means 'black boat' in Japanese! :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
Your username means 'black boat' in Japanese! :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're the first to get that! It's actually a historical reference-that's the Japanese name Commodore Perry's black ships.
Reply 94
Original post by Aj_16
Erm it depends how many A levels you are taking. That C will be less damaging if you are doing four and the other three are strong however if that C is one of three, to be honest its damaging, especially for LSE's notoriously competitive standards. Also its unlikely the LSE will check up on how you're doing, usually only Cambridge asks for those kind of portfolios.
I'd say a good 5 lines should be spend on talking about books and quotes. Make sure you know what you're talking about and make it concise. You're right many people use popular books such as Adam Smith's "Wealth of Nations" so try and use something more niche. I talked about a book called "the rise of and fall of long term capital management" which I knew not many people have heard of before. Best of luck!

The C is my fourth option.
Would you think Tim harfords Undercover Economist ; his latest Undercover Economist strikes back is a bit more niché as I saw it on LSE's recommended prelim reading options for 2 subjects? Could this be overused as well?
Thanks for your advice!
Hi, I am an international student. I have received conditional offers for History from LSE, Durham and St. Andrews. I am veering towards LSE and after completing history I plan to convert to Law. I have two separate queries. One do you endorse my decision? Two, what is the best catered accommodation that you would recommend? Appreciate your help..

Posted from TSR Mobile
thanks for making this thread. i'm an international student from vienna. got a conditional offer about 3 weeks ago for phil&econ. the ministry of education has set up a new centralised graduating system this year. teachers, students and parents are really worried about how the students will cope with it. it's not particularly common at my school to apply to foreign universities. my teachers didn't want to predict any grades, regarding the new system and the uncertainty arising with it. in the end i convinced them and now they have predicted me 1s ( A-equivalent ) in all subjects.
i'm taking
maths, german, english, french (written),
french, philosophy (oral)
i'm not too worried but languages and philosophy but it'll be super hard to get a 1 (=A) in maths. i'm not sure what it's like in britain but in austria hardly anybody gets 1s, mostly 3s (=Cs).
well, so my actual question is: how likely is it, should i not meet the conditional grades, that i get accepted? or, in other words, do you know anybody who was accepted despite not meeting his conditions?

(edited 9 years ago)
How much do LSE help you with getting internships/work experience?
What are the things to be considered while choosing an accommodation. My first take is to a good catered on campus accommodation nearest to the classes. Any advice?
Reply 99
Original post by jco19

I see. Is this fairly common? Also do you think many more become like this because of going to LSE and being surrounded by people like you described? Or is it just the inherent nature of many of the students?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending