The Student Room Group

Is stigmatising being fat such a bad thing?

Scroll to see replies

Bleugh, people should be able to do whatever the hell they want with their body, so long as it doesn't affect others. :dontknow:

Plus, fat people are kinda cuddly :ahee:
Original post by R Dragon
I agree, but you shouldn't have to resort to stigmatising them publicly

I don't think it should be stigmatised, but I think we are right to discourage it.
Original post by TurboCretin
I don't think it should be stigmatised, but I think we are right to discourage it.

By all means promote a healthy lifestyle

Original post by Maid Marian
Bleugh, people should be able to do whatever the hell they want with their body, so long as it doesn't affect others. :dontknow:

Plus, fat people are kinda cuddly :ahee:

Biscuits woman!!!

I mostly agree, but obesity leads to self-inflicted disease which means more NHS costs which means more taxes ;_;

This is a separate question. The question is whether we should discourage it.
This is a separate question. The question is whether we should discourage it.

I think that people should mind their own damn business instead of sticking their noses into other people's lives.
Maybe they're not educated enough
I think that people should mind their own damn business instead of sticking their noses into other people's lives.

By this logic, presumably you have no support for the discouragement of heroin use or public masturbation, either?
Yes.
By this logic, presumably you have no support for the discouragement of heroin use or public masturbation, either?

You missed my original point: so long as it doesn't impact on anybody else.

How does heroin use impact on others?

Maybe you missed mine. We're talking about whether or not obesity should be discouraged, as a general policy. Obesity most definitely impacts on the lives of people who are not obese. Apart from anything else, the direct costs of obesity to the NHS alone have been estimated at £3.2-4.2bn per annum. Of course, we know that obesity is also a risk factor for a myriad of other health issues, and if it isn't tackled, it has been reported that it could bankrupt the NHS. We also know that the NHS is not the only part of our economy burdened by the costs of obesity. Economy-wide costs of obesity have been estimated at £15-16bn per annum.

So forgive me, but I really think that saying "it's fine as long as it doesn't impact on anyone else" is fatuous.

Sources:

http://user37685.vs.easily.co.uk/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/allender-rayner-the-burden-of-overweight-and-obesity-related-ill-health-in-the-UK1.pdf

http://www.noo.org.uk/NOO_about_obesity/obesity_and_health

http://www.england.nhs.uk/2014/09/17/serious-about-obesity/

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/sep/17/obesity-bankrupt-nhs-warning
Original post by Alfissti
Being overweight when young isn't much of a problem, however being overweight much of your adult life will pose problems at older age. Chief among the problems would be ankle, knee and possibly hip issues. Just as likely to be possible would be spinal related issues. All of which will cost the NHS loads of money.

Overweight also generally increases the likelihood of having hypertension.

You mean OBESE not overweight. Please, there is a difference. Overweight people barely look large and I doubt adult overweight people have any health issues related to it whatsoever no matter what age.
I understand issues occur when you're older on (even then though, I can't imagine it causing an issue unless you're really obese, my mother has issues due to her weight but these only seemed to have happened when she was at her heaviest, even though the rest of the time she was still obese, just not morbidly so, I imagine), but there are other issues that cost the NHS that people seem to be fine with, like drinking and (not as much anymore but still) smoking, yet it's fine to do those but god forbid you be fat.
Original post by keromedic
How does heroin use impact on others?

With regards to many stronger narcotics

Funds a dealer to further distribute damaging drugs to others

Funds the other criminal aspects that go along with being a drug-dealer (violence, gangs etc)

Behaviour-altering, and often used in public.

Costs the taxpayer shedloads of money for both NHS care, and for the social/welfare/police costs that result from an individual abusing illicit substances (though obesity certainly does contribute to the NHS care component there)

Typically sourced from areas of the world such as Afghanistan, Colombia, Mexico - where the drugs industries are amazingly harmful to the local population.

Reply 33

So you think people should mind their own business with regards to incest and suicide/self harm?

Original post by Friar Chris
With regards to many stronger narcotics

Funds a dealer to further distribute damaging drugs to others

Funds the other criminal aspects that go along with being a drug-dealer (violence, gangs etc)

Behaviour-altering, and often used in public.

Costs the taxpayer shedloads of money for both NHS care, and for the social/welfare/police costs that result from an individual abusing illicit substances (though obesity certainly does contribute to the NHS care component there)

Typically sourced from areas of the world such as Afghanistan, Colombia, Mexico - where the drugs industries are amazingly harmful to the local population.

- Obesity costs the NHS millions
- Fat parents usually lead to fat children
- Being fat causes self esteem problems in a lot of people which has a knock on effect

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alfissti
Fatties are among the benefit scroungers in UK these days.

Much much more should be done about the ever increasing numbers of fatties about. They do put a major strain on the NHS and unlike smokers and boozers, these tubs of lard don't contribute anything towards their keep.

There is also the angle of benefits that needs to be looked at, plenty of obese fatties eventually will reach the stage of being persons with limited mobility thus automatically eligible for a cocktail of benefits. One of my neighbours in the village I live in when I'm in England is this fat turd of a bloke, lost his job and had some depression issues, instead of getting a bloody job he ate loads of junk to appease himself and became one even bigger fatter turd. Guess what? House is provided for, wife employed to be his carer, gets some kind of mobility allowance which affords them a fairly recent model Ford Galaxy. All courtesy of the British taxpayer. Mobility problems? Strange that it doesn't appear to be a problem to pop out 3 more kids in the last 5 years.

Would fat shamming these bunch work? Probably not but a LOT less benefits should go to these kinds.

Perhaps you should hire some strapping young men in black shirts to smash the door in and teach them a lesson with six of the best.
I'm sure that obesity is costing the NHS a lot, but people act like it's the worst thing when it really isn't.
Things like surgeries should definitely be discouraged, gastric bands, nose jobs, boob jobs all free on the NHS, this is all ridiculous and it is costing a lot. People who get gastric bands for free are lazy in my opinion, there are self-help schemes that cost nothing available.
If someone wants to be fat then leave them to it as long as they are happy then why should it matter, they aren't doing any harm as far as I'm aware.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending