The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abel Demoz
Complex Numbers is fairly easy. It's just locus that may give people a hard time. Even then, it isn't that hard. You just need to have a thorough understanding of the topics being covered. Some people just learn how to do the working out but don't actually grasp the concepts needed to understand the topic which is the main reason why they aren't able to apply their knowledge to work around questions they've never seen.

With regards to being "smart in mathematical terms", you do not have to be smart to attain high grades or understand the content. There are plenty of students who are taught very well by excellent teachers who give them an in depth understanding of the content. Those who self-teach Further Maths and have a thorough understanding of the content and grasp all concepts are the smart students.

Posted from TSR Mobile

well people who do step and olympiads these modules are like a walk in the park. U cant be 'dumb' and do fp2. there will be a couple of questions which test insight and ingenuity every couple of years and those people who are not mathematically able will not be able to do it without being shown a similar question and be shown how to do it. i watch some people in my class who are not very mathematically able but still got 100s in yr12 struggle with c3 trig c4 integration and fp2 on a whole. i do agree with the teaching aspect also as we only have one good teacher and the rest are pretty bad lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
well people who do step and olympiads these modules are like a walk in the park. U cant be 'dumb' and do fp2. there will be a couple of questions which test insight and ingenuity every couple of years and those people who are not mathematically able will not be able to do it without being shown a similar question and be shown how to do it. i watch some people in my class who are not very mathematically able but still got 100s in yr12 struggle with c3 trig c4 integration and fp2 on a whole. i do agree with the teaching aspect also as we only have one good teacher and the rest are pretty bad lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally, I find C3 Trigonometry and C4 Integration fairly simple. Although understanding the content helps tremendously, I must agree that there is the odd occasion where questions that set apart the men from the boys occur and quite frankly, for some people, understanding the content just isn't enough as they can't think around the problem. However, these are very rare instances therefore just about anyone, provided they are taught well, can excel in any module and use their knowledge/understanding to work around unfarmiliar questions.

With regards to STEP and Olympiads, understanding the content may help but only to a certain degree as they require you to think outside of the box, putting your mathematical abilities to the test. Students who possess the mathematical ability to cope with or excel at STEP or Olympiads would find the Maths and Further Maths modules fairly easy which is something we can both agree on.

Are you currently doing FP2?
Personally, I find C3 Trigonometry and C4 Integration fairly simple. Although understanding the content helps tremendously, I must agree that there is the odd occasion where questions that set apart the men from the boys occur and quite frankly, for some people, understanding the content just isn't enough as they can't think around the problem. However, these are very rare instances therefore just about anyone, provided they are taught well, can excel in any module and use their knowledge/understanding to work around unfarmiliar questions.

With regards to STEP and Olympiads, understanding the content may help but only to a certain degree as they require you to think outside of the box, putting your mathematical abilities to the test. Students who possess the mathematical ability to cope with or excel at STEP or Olympiads would find the Maths and Further Maths modules fairly easy which is something we can both agree on.

Are you currently doing FP2?

yh. ive learnt it bymyself my class have just started it now. u doing fp3 ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
yh. ive learnt it bymyself my class have just started it now. u doing fp3 ??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep I'm self-teaching too. Yes I am doing FP3. Have you started FP3 or are you planning to start it after finishing FP2? I'm doing them both simultaneously since they're independent of each other.
Anyone else hate all the compulsory modules cores and further pures, but love all the applied ones, decision, statistics, mechanics?
Original post by Placeboo123
Anyone else hate all the compulsory modules cores and further pures, but love all the applied ones, decision, statistics, mechanics?

Love Core and Further Pure but not a big fan of the applied modules.
Original post by Super199
Grr was doing Edexcel last year moved school and doing OCR this year. Definitely prefer Edexcel, probably use this thread I guess until an OCR one is created. How far are you guys through the A2 course?

Would you say OCR or Edexcel is harder

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep I'm self-teaching too. Yes I am doing FP3. Have you started FP3 or are you planning to start it after finishing FP2? I'm doing them both simultaneously since they're independent of each other.

Yh but I've only done 2 chapters in fp3. I plan on going full on after Christmas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheGemini
Would you say OCR or Edexcel is harder

Posted from TSR Mobile

OCR is much harder. Edexcel is a joke lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
OCR is much harder. Edexcel is a joke lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

in no mode to argue with this point youv've just made ..
Lol the proof is C1 June 2014. A gcse student could've sat that exam and got 100 if he was decent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
Lol the proof is C1 June 2014. A gcse student could've sat that exam and got 100 if he was decent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A GCSE student could have sat any previous C1 exam on any exam board and got 100 if he was 'decent'. Why are you cherry-picking the one that you actually did?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dylann
A GCSE student could have sat any previous C1 exam on any exam board and got 100 if he was 'decent'. Why are you cherry-picking the one that you actually did?

Posted from TSR Mobile

lmao major major rep :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

go do june 13 and come back :smile:.
Original post by Dylann

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because that paper was way too easy. Thats why. The modal mark was 75/75.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dylann

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I didn't say that a gcse can't do the other ones. I'm using it as an example as it's the first one that came to mind as I sat it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
are solomon papers better or bronze gold papers better for c2 and c3?
Original post by Chlorophile
I got 100% in my mock, I still hate C3. I can't stand all of the proving trig identities, it makes me sick.

Could not agree more. Trig identities make me want to hide in a hole and hibernate.
Original post by Dylann

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you both need to look up the definition of "decent". By your definition, the word applies only to the top ~2% of students...

Latest

Trending

Trending