The Student Room Group

How competitive is Kings for Masters?

How competitive would a course like Public Policy be at Kings. It says there are 100 students on the course.

I've heard that they will more than likely give you an offer due to the cost of a masters.

How likely would it be to get a place with a good 2.1. Do kings state that you must achieve a certain percentage in their offers or just a 2.1?

Also, do you reckon it will become more competitive with the introduction of postgraduate loans?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
a 2.1 would do as academic requirement. a relevant internship and good recommendations would enhance your profile. King's MPP is mid tier at best and I rarely see people rejected. Some applicants use KCL MPP as back up when they apply for more competitive MPP programmes (UCL, LSE, Oxford, Cam), other competitors are Bristol, Warwick, Edin, Nottingham.

In forums, you read often about people who got admitted to KCL MPP but decided to enroll somewhere else. KCL strongest point is possibly security. KCL's IPE, Development, IR Theory, Governance and analytical methods are mediocre compared to aforementioned peers.
Original post by Tcannon
a 2.1 would do as academic requirement. a relevant internship and good recommendations would enhance your profile. King's MPP is mid tier at best and I rarely see people rejected. Some applicants use KCL MPP as back up when they apply for more competitive MPP programmes (UCL, LSE, Oxford, Cam), other competitors are Bristol, Warwick, Edin, Nottingham.

In forums, you read often about people who got admitted to KCL MPP but decided to enroll somewhere else. KCL strongest point is possibly security. KCL's IPE, Development, IR Theory, Governance and analytical methods are mediocre compared to aforementioned peers.

Thanks! Yes, I would ideally like to go to UCL/LSE but I would also be more than happy with KCL. It gives me some hope that people don't get rejected very often.
Reply 3
May I ask you why KCL MPP? What are your other target MPPs?

Honestly, I still have to find a person rejected for KCL MPP on TSR forum. Some other poster joked KCL MPP accepts anyone with a pulse who can pay. LSE and UCL reject majority of applicants.
Original post by Tcannon
May I ask you why KCL MPP? What are your other target MPPs?

Honestly, I still have to find a person rejected for KCL MPP on TSR forum. Some other poster joked KCL MPP accepts anyone with a pulse who can pay. LSE and UCL reject majority of applicants.

Funnily enough my main targets are LSE and UCL. Looks like KCL isn't too difficult to get into then so I'll mainly be focusing on the former two.

How competitive would you say UCL is? I know LSE is incredibly competitive but with a good 2.1, good references and some relevant extra-curricular do I stand a chance at getting on offer from UCL for either their MPP course or MA legal and political theory?
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
How competitive would a course like Public Policy be at Kings. It says there are 100 students on the course.

I've heard that they will more than likely give you an offer due to the cost of a masters.

How likely would it be to get a place with a good 2.1. Do kings state that you must achieve a certain percentage in their offers or just a 2.1?

Also, do you reckon it will become more competitive with the introduction of postgraduate loans?

I know for a fact that a 2.1 from a low ranking uni can get you in UCL's Public Policy so you are safe if you have the money to pay for the masters.
Original post by Juichiro
I know for a fact that a 2.1 from a low ranking uni can get you in UCL's Public Policy so you are safe if you have the money to pay for the masters.

Thats comforting to hear. Do you think with the introduction with postgraduate loans in 2016, there will be a surge in applicants and thus make it more competitive?

As much as these loans are great I'm worried that it will make it far harder to get into UCL/KCL/LSE. I'm currently at a pretty good University and on track to get a god 2.1 in my second year.
Thats comforting to hear. Do you think with the introduction with postgraduate loans in 2016, there will be a surge in applicants and thus make it more competitive?

As much as these loans are great I'm worried that it will make it far harder to get into UCL/KCL/LSE. I'm currently at a pretty good University and on track to get a god 2.1 in my second year.

Yes, I believe getting into a Masters will be harder simply because there will be more people. But there will be only forty thousand loans so this competition will be evenly spread out in different university-Masters pairs thus I think the competition won't be significant.
Original post by Juichiro
Yes, I believe getting into a Masters will be harder simply because there will be more people. But there will be only forty thousand loans so this competition will be evenly spread out in different university-Masters pairs thus I think the competition won't be significant.

It shouldn't make too much of a difference then especially for the year I'm applying. Likely no difference at all in the first year or two of the loans introduction at least.

Could you elaborate on the 40 thousand part please? so you have to apply for these loans and only 40k will get them?
It shouldn't make too much of a difference then especially for the year I'm applying. Likely no difference at all in the first year or two of the loans introduction at least.

Could you elaborate on the 40 thousand part please? so you have to apply for these loans and only 40k will get them?

I don't know much more than most people on TSR. I don't think they have given many details about the application process yet. All I know is that there will be exactly forty thousand loans of up to 10K pounds each.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest