The Student Room Group

4 year Wellcome Trust PhD in Integrative Neuroscience Interview

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thank you very much for your answers! They were really helpful!
I'm definetly going to apply to Cardiff, the programme is perfect for my research interests. Oxford has also a very interesting programme, but the fees are really expensive and I'm not even an EU resident...

Thanks a lot! :smile:
I am submitting an application for this 4 year PhD programme and I was wondering what are most peoples backgrounds who are applying? Mine is medical genetics and I understand they consider a wide range of degree programmes.

Also, I am trying to tailor my personal statement to neuroscience but should I also include my extra-curricular activities such as sports and hobbies?

Any help on this would be great!
Original post by rachlouise1994
I am submitting an application for this 4 year PhD programme and I was wondering what are most peoples backgrounds who are applying? Mine is medical genetics and I understand they consider a wide range of degree programmes.

Also, I am trying to tailor my personal statement to neuroscience but should I also include my extra-curricular activities such as sports and hobbies?

Unless you have a LOT of space to fill, I wouldn't bother with sports, nor hobbies unless they're neuroscience relevant.

Looking at the research that goes on there, they seem to include a lot of disciplines! My background is more Psychology-orientated.

And I put a bit in my PS about hobbies, linking it to societies thy have there, but my personal tutor just crossed a line through it all when he checked it over, so I don't think thy're really bothered :smile:
Original post by TeaAndSugar
Looking at the research that goes on there, they seem to include a lot of disciplines! My background is more Psychology-orientated.

And I put a bit in my PS about hobbies, linking it to societies thy have there, but my personal tutor just crossed a line through it all when he checked it over, so I don't think thy're really bothered :smile:

OK Thanks :biggrin:
Original post by punctuation
Unless you have a LOT of space to fill, I wouldn't bother with sports, nor hobbies unless they're neuroscience relevant.

Ok Thanks :biggrin:
Hey

I'm currently applying for the 4 year wellcome trust dtp for neuroscience at Oxford and the funding part of the application form is boggling my mind! If the welcome trust are funding the programme are you automatically applying for the studentship or do you have to apply separately?

Also as there aren't many places is it worth trying to apply for a scholarship this late, as the deadline is next Friday :/
Reply 27
Hi,

has anyone heard anything from Cardiff? I'm getting anxious...
Original post by Tary_89
Hi,

has anyone heard anything from Cardiff? I'm getting anxious...

Yes, my friend has an interview for their four year programme.
Yes, my friend has an interview for their four year programme.

When did they find out? I still havent heard :frown:
When did they find out? I still havent heard :frown:

A few days ago, I think.. sorry
Reply 31
Ok, I still haven't heard anything from Cardiff... So I'm pretty sure it's a rejection. :frown:

I'm a Swiss student and I really hoped I could get into a good UK university (one of the Russell Group) for a PhD, but the truth is that I really don't know how realistic that is.

I have a very good Bachelor's Degree in Psychology and an excellent Master's Degree in Neuropsychology and Neuroinformatics. I have research experience with healthy human subjects and patients, as well as with laboratory rats. I know a bit of programming, I speak 5 languages and I work for the Brain Festival.

How good are the applications that these universities usually receive? Are they very different compared to my qualifications? Do candidates have a lot of research experience? I have 2 posters, but no publication. Or do candidates usually have won awards? Or are they involved in many extracurricular activities?

I guess that my main question is... Do I stand a chance to get into a good UK university for a PhD in Neuroscience or should I rather set lower goals?

Thank you for your help!!
Original post by Tary_89
Ok, I still haven't heard anything from Cardiff... So I'm pretty sure it's a rejection. :frown:

I'm a Swiss student and I really hoped I could get into a good UK university (one of the Russell Group) for a PhD, but the truth is that I really don't know how realistic that is.

I have a very good Bachelor's Degree in Psychology and an excellent Master's Degree in Neuropsychology and Neuroinformatics. I have research experience with healthy human subjects and patients, as well as with laboratory rats. I know a bit of programming, I speak 5 languages and I work for the Brain Festival.

How good are the applications that these universities usually receive? Are they very different compared to my qualifications? Do candidates have a lot of research experience? I have 2 posters, but no publication. Or do candidates usually have won awards? Or are they involved in many extracurricular activities?

I guess that my main question is... Do I stand a chance to get into a good UK university for a PhD in Neuroscience or should I rather set lower goals?

Thank you for your help!!

Five languages doesn't really matter but the others should be important. The most important parts of your application are your research experience, grades, references, etc. But it also depends on how you present yourself through your personal statement. How good is 'good'? If you are not in the top 20% of your peer group that still might not cut it. Is your research experience weighty or did you just shadow someone? These are the specific variables that can influence your application. Extracurricular activities don't really count, but some might have publications or awards. Especially at the PhD I was told that references count.

As for the Cardiff interview, I'm pretty sure they held them last Friday or Thursday. So I'm sorry that probably means you weren't considered. But there's still a chance they will have a second round of applications, I'm not sure how they do things.
Reply 33
Thank you very much for your reply! All you said is very helpful.
Also thank you for still giving me some hope about Cardiff. But the more I think about my application documents, the more I realize that I could've done some things in a better way...

We'll see! Let's hope there's a PhD for me out there :smile:
Original post by Tary_89
Thank you very much for your reply! All you said is very helpful.
Also thank you for still giving me some hope about Cardiff. But the more I think about my application documents, the more I realize that I could've done some things in a better way...

We'll see! Let's hope there's a PhD for me out there :smile:

Good luck! I'm sure you'll find happiness wherever you end up! Did you apply to any of the other programmes? If you've done neuroinformatics it sounds like you'd be a better fit for the bristol, newcastle, oxford and UCL ones, roughly in that order.
Reply 35
Good luck! I'm sure you'll find happiness wherever you end up! Did you apply to any of the other programmes? If you've done neuroinformatics it sounds like you'd be a better fit for the bristol, newcastle, oxford and UCL ones, roughly in that order.

Thank you for your support! :smile:

I've done neuroinformatics but only as a minor, my research interests are definitely more psychology oriented. I want to study behaviour and cognition under a clinical perspective, which seemed the major focus of the Cardiff programme. I haven't applied to any other programme since by the time of the application deadlines, I was still finishing my Master's degree and had time to apply only to my favourite programme (Cardiff).

I've noticed that most PhD programmes/positions have a January deadline. Does that mean that during the rest of the year no other PhD positions will be advertised?
Original post by Tary_89
Thank you for your support! :smile:

I've done neuroinformatics but only as a minor, my research interests are definitely more psychology oriented. I want to study behaviour and cognition under a clinical perspective, which seemed the major focus of the Cardiff programme. I haven't applied to any other programme since by the time of the application deadlines, I was still finishing my Master's degree and had time to apply only to my favourite programme (Cardiff).

I've noticed that most PhD programmes/positions have a January deadline. Does that mean that during the rest of the year no other PhD positions will be advertised?

Oh I see fair enough. Well those are mostly those phd positions with studentships and part of programmes, other PhD positions have much later deadlines.
Any luck guys? :smile:

I had my UCL interview yesterday - have my Oxford one Friday. Eek. My friend accepted an offer for the Cardiff one.
Reply 38
Any luck guys? :smile:

I had my UCL interview yesterday - have my Oxford one Friday. Eek. My friend accepted an offer for the Cardiff one.

Wow, you got 2 interviews? That's great! Well done, congratulations to you and your friend! :smile:
Original post by Tary_89
Wow, you got 2 interviews? That's great! Well done, congratulations to you and your friend! :smile:

Thanks, I was pleasantly surprised :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending