The Student Room Group

Can you get an A* in a level maths if you get a C in one module?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Muttley79

How boring to spend six months revising C3 and C4 ... I make sure my students learn it well the first time.

Difference of approach, for majority of students, who take maths as a means to an end to get to a top university for studying something other than Maths or Physics. First and foremost, they want the A*, with highest possible confidence. In an ideal world, yes people learn something first time and do it well, it does not imply you are definitely going to score highly in exams with high confidence. A student is measured on exam performance, depth of understanding is required, but rigorous practice of accuracy, memory and speed is paramount for those who are not naturally talented. So yes five to sixth months of exam practice is boring but it is extremely effective, and it gets the job done, and everyone is happy.

At the end of the day, for most, it is about the best way to get a best result. The truth is that most who does A-level maths, who do not go on to study further, will quickly forget most of what they have learnt, mostly because they wont use it again in real life. A-level maths really should be about improving analytical and problem solving skills. Which at the present is almost none-existent in A-level Maths. But not all is lost, at least the DoE is trying to resolve the issue. Let's wait and see, how exciting!
"that tell you how hard and relevant it is"

D1 is a great module; it is the only part of the A level syllabus that looks at some recently discovered mathematical ideas. What could be more relevant than the maths that sat navs use; critical path analysis and linear programming are used in many professions?

I agree - I think there is more in D2 that is useful but I am also disappointed that it is going
"A-level maths really should be about improving analytical and problem solving skills. Which at the present is almost non-existent in A-level Maths"

Well it is if you teach it properly ... spending six months on revision is not teaching it well. Most of my students enjoy maths and science so much they want to go on and study them at uni.

I think the new proposed linear A level is a backward step - the number of students taking A level has gone up since 2000 and numbers will fall again.
Reply 23
Original post by TenOfThem
... D2 ... is going

:smile:

I think the new proposed linear A level is a backward step - the number of students taking A level has gone up since 2000 and numbers will fall again.

I disagree - I think that Linear A Levels are a great step

With a proper offer of A Level, AS, and Core I think that we can increase the number of students taking Maths post 16
Original post by TeeEm
:smile:

Again - I find this a disappointment
Maths was not a popular A level when it was linear ... and the syllabus had to be tweaked when it first went modular.

I will put money on fewer students taking maths and more getting a grade U.
"A-level maths really should be about improving analytical and problem solving skills. Which at the present is almost non-existent in A-level Maths"

Well it is if you teach it properly ... spending six months on revision is not teaching it well. Most of my students enjoy maths and science so much they want to go on and study them at uni.

What I didn't mention is the fact that finishing C3 and C4 in the first term, most of the students can already get an A. We spend the next six months taking it easy and slowly digest everything, and preparing to perfect the exam over this time. Of course during this time, a lot of other interesting things, applications of these basic ideas can be explored...Shouldn't be this easy, that is simply my point.
On decision Maths, which in is very useful as a branch of Maths, but D1 at the moment is just too easy, again the difficulty level is what I have problems with, it needs to be brought in line with other modules. Perhaps putting some D2 in D1 will help.
Reply 29
Maths was not a popular A level when it was linear ... and the syllabus had to be tweaked when it first went modular.

why does it have to be popular?
Reply 30

I will put money on fewer students taking maths and more getting a grade U.

quality and not quantity.
TeeEm? Are we twins from previous life?:smile:
I want many students to take A level maths because they love the subject; dont you?
Reply 33
Original post by chn.challenger
TeeEm? Are we twins from previous life?:smile:

I have some strange ideas and I can be dogmatic at times so I am glad I find someone in agreement with me.
Friend of mine got a C in C3 this January, resat it this summer and got an A* overall!

(Welsh students had January exams for 1 more year if you didnt know)
Reply 35
Original post by Professor Purple
Friend of mine got a C in C3 this January, resat it this summer and got an A* overall!

same in CCEA (northern Ireland)

I got D in FP2. :rolleyes:
(Only got a B in Further Maths though)
Original post by rayquaza17
I got D in FP2. :rolleyes:
(Only got a B in Further Maths though)

'Only' ._.
What did you get in standard maths?
'Only' ._.
What did you get in standard maths?

"Only an A*" probably :tongue:
Original post by Super199