The Student Room Group

Ireland Medical Applicants 2015 Entry

Hey, I was wondering who all have applied to Ireland Medical Schools for 2015 entry?

I've applied to TCD, UCD, NUI Galway and UCC - with TCD as my first choice and UCD as my second choice. (International Applicant)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ishysmile
Hey, I was wondering who all have applied to Ireland Medical Schools for 2015 entry?

I've applied to TCD, UCD, NUI Galway and UCC - with TCD as my first choice and UCD as my second choice. (International Applicant)

Have you done the Gamsat?

I'm going to apply to the Irish unis if I fail to get a place in the UK.
Reply 2
Original post by JNHE
Have you done the Gamsat?

I'm going to apply to the Irish unis if I fail to get a place in the UK.

UK is also my first preference (Imperial, UCL, Bristol, Birmingham) but if I don't get any places here I'd be happy to go to a place like TCD or UCD.

International Applicants don't have to take any entrance exams
UK is also my first preference (Imperial, UCL, Bristol, Birmingham) but if I don't get any places here I'd be happy to go to a place like TCD or UCD.

International Applicants don't have to take any entrance exams

Just letting you know if you are international staying in Ireland is more difficult than the UK. Not sure if they will allow you into specialty training without EU citizenship.
Reply 4
International Applicant as well, Applied to RCSI, TCD, UCD, NUIG and UCC. TCD and UCD are my first choices and RCSI is my third.

I was told that getting jobs in Ireland as non-EU citizen is extremely hard. You have to be at the top of the class, otherwise you can't compete. However so, they do allow for speciality training. My uncle graduated from schools in Ireland, he's a cardiologist and he worked there for 15ish years before moving to a different country. The only thing is, he went to high school in Ireland which is probably why he managed to get a good job there. (he graduated from RCSI)
Original post by shyaamb
International Applicant as well, Applied to RCSI, TCD, UCD, NUIG and UCC. TCD and UCD are my first choices and RCSI is my third.

I was told that getting jobs in Ireland as non-EU citizen is extremely hard. You have to be at the top of the class, otherwise you can't compete. However so, they do allow for speciality training. My uncle graduated from schools in Ireland, he's a cardiologist and he worked there for 15ish years before moving to a different country. The only thing is, he went to high school in Ireland which is probably why he managed to get a good job there. (he graduated from RCSI)

Are you sure they allow for specialty training, things change. The UK used to allow that but now they don't.
Reply 6
Original post by shyaamb

I've already applied to TCD, UCD, NUIG and UCC, but haven't applied to RCSI yet - Have you already applied to RCSI?
Reply 7
Original post by Okorange
Are you sure they allow for specialty training, things change. The UK used to allow that but now they don't.

It could have changed but I am sure that my uncle completed his speciality training at Ireland. We will see when we get there.
Reply 8
I've already applied to TCD, UCD, NUIG and UCC, but haven't applied to RCSI yet - Have you already applied to RCSI?

Yes. Finished the applications for all of them about 2 weeks ago. I was told I would hear back around the start of Jan.
Reply 9
Original post by shyaamb
Yes. Finished the applications for all of them about 2 weeks ago. I was told I would hear back around the start of Jan.

Can you please give me some guidance on how to complete the RCSI application?
Reply 10
Can you please give me some guidance on how to complete the RCSI application?

You have to complete the entire application in one go. You will not believe the number of times that i had to restart the application. They have a PDF document on their website that explains how the application process works, gives you a page by page guidance on how to complete the online application.

Things you need to have scanned for upload;
Transcript
Passport
Personal Statement
Reference (of work experience, academic references are different)

For the academic reference it is not the same as UCAS. You will have to download a PDF document from their website, it is called the academic reference form, and get your teachers to complete it. You are not allowed to send it in, your teacher has to. They also need to send in your predicted grades in a PDF form.

​Don't worry, its all explained in their application guide.
Reply 11
Original post by shyaamb
You have to complete the entire application in one go. You will not believe the number of times that i had to restart the application. They have a PDF document on their website that explains how the application process works, gives you a page by page guidance on how to complete the online application.

Things you need to have scanned for upload;
Transcript
Passport
Personal Statement
Reference (of work experience, academic references are different)

For the academic reference it is not the same as UCAS. You will have to download a PDF document from their website, it is called the academic reference form, and get your teachers to complete it. You are not allowed to send it in, your teacher has to. They also need to send in your predicted grades in a PDF form.

​Don't worry, its all explained in their application guide.

Thank you! One final question - are you allowed to use the same personal statement as UCAS? It says it can be up to 2 A4 pages, so you could add a bit more onto the 4000 characters?
Reply 12
Thank you! One final question - are you allowed to use the same personal statement as UCAS? It says it can be up to 2 A4 pages, so you could add a bit more onto the 4000 characters?

Yeah you could. I just changed mine to show more of my Extracurriculars. But remember that RCSI wants it double spaced.
International student from Trinidad and Toabgo applying for RCSI, I've heard RSCI and Trinidad have a good track record so hopefully that's beneficial idk
Reply 14
Original post by matthew1151
International student from Trinidad and Toabgo applying for RCSI, I've heard RSCI and Trinidad have a good track record so hopefully that's beneficial idk

RCSI likes international applicants - 80% International
Hi everyone,

I have both EU and non-EU nationalities, so I believe I 'can choose' to apply as EU or non-EU (I would only apply as an international if I can get a scholarship back in my home country).
I just wanted to ask how competitive and how hard is it to get in or at least to be offered an interview (considering my predicted A-level grades are AAAAB- B in Chemistry).

Any opinion is appreciated, thanks.
Can someone help me fill out this medical referee form? Like when they say online application number what do they mean? and when they say address as above which address the address of the institution or the referee?
Reply 17
If you graduate from and Irish Medical School with an EU Passport - can you practise in the UK?
Reply 18
Original post by rafaelpires
Hi everyone,

I have both EU and non-EU nationalities, so I believe I 'can choose' to apply as EU or non-EU (I would only apply as an international if I can get a scholarship back in my home country).
I just wanted to ask how competitive and how hard is it to get in or at least to be offered an interview (considering my predicted A-level grades are AAAAB- B in Chemistry).

Any opinion is appreciated, thanks.

The B in chemistry might affect your application. I take the IB and i emailed them, their minimum is a 6 and to be competitive you need a 7. So that might bring you down a bit. However so, RCSI offers the 6 year program for medicine and the min entry requirement is BBC, so maybe you could try out for that program?

Also if you apply as an EU, fees are cheaper but you need to do the HPAT (I think).
Hi,

Basically I want to apply to Unis in Ireland, but I dont know if I have missed the deadline and how different is it from UCAS?

I am a scottish graduate with 2.1 in Pharmacy and plenty of work experience, planning to set the GAMSAT in march.

However, am not entirely sure of this application process, deadlines etc.

What are the normal requirement for graduates?

Also as a scottish applicant, am considered EU right? what are the fees like?

And do people apply to Irish unis because they seem to think its easier to get into? or is it actually easier?

Thank You!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending