The Student Room Group

I'm a bengali atheist. Ask me anything.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Whats the main reason you became atheist? What in Islam did not satisfy you that atheism does? Detailed answer please.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by Omar.Q
Whats the main reason you became atheist? What in Islam did not satisfy you that atheism does? Detailed answer please.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. Whats the main reason you became atheist?

The main reason is because I found more logical answers to my questions that contradicted the ones in islam. I also disagree with things islam teaches about a lot of things e.g. homosexuality. I agree that the purpose of life is to reproduce as our DNA is what we are but people shouldn't face discrimination/death for being who they are, these are things that people cannot change. People should be free to do what they want as long as they are not harming others. The ideas taught in the Quran doesn't have a place in modern society. You don't know who wrote it, there's no solid evidence. It sounds like more like a religious dictator who craved power to me.

Also, I learned that things like heaven and hell, the idea of sin and god didn't exist. After I learned that, I can't make myself unlearn the truth.
I believe questioning things is necessary for growth in this life, that's how I naturally became an atheist. By questioning the norms.

This site debunks religion. It aided me a lot in opening my eyes to what religion was, though it may be written with some hate, there is a lot of worthy points of discussion. Also iranian-atheist, now a friend of mine, was also of tremendous help to me.

I don't understand why an almighty god needs to create a whole species for the sole purpose of worshipping him and then punishing them when they don't. That doesn't seem like an all-loving god to me.. An all-knowing god knows everything there is to know. Would he have known that I was going to turn into an atheist meaning I was destined to go to hell?

When I researched about evolution over the span of a year, I found myself mind-blown. I used to laugh at my little sister for believing we were apes, I was dumbfounded because I found out she was partially right. This post by waitbutwhy puts time into perspective to show how humans evolved using simplistic images and explanations. It simply astounded me. Evolution is one of the most fascinating things I've come across. It certainly makes a lot more sense than an invisible being placing 2 humans onto a planet. How did he put them there? Through magic? How does the magic work? Evolution is much more realistic than the story of Adam and Eve. It also has lots of evidence to back it up. I can't believe the world was made in 7 days with the knowledge I have of evolution which took place over billions and billions of years.

After, a science series came out which intrigued me, Cosmos: A space odyssey. I already knew about Carl Sagan and Neil Degrasse Tyson from previous research so I was looking forward to it for weeks. By the end of the series, I was reassured that I did not make the wrong decisions.

2. What in Islam did not satisfy you that atheism does?

Atheism satisfies me because I know I'll die knowing the truth. In fact I don't need the comfort of going to an imaginary heaven or hell because I taught myself that death isn't something to be feared. It's a natural part of life. And we'll return back into the cycle of life by our atoms becoming a part of something else in the soil, which may be a part of another human being in the future (you could say it's similar to the idea of reincarnation, in a way.) Our atoms have been here since the start of time and always will be. When I realised that, my love for the universe increased even more.

Back to the question- so sin was made for the purpose of humans to do good for a reward in the afterlife (that may or may not exist) I can do good in my life without the need of being rewarded in another life. What we know and can be sure of is that this is the only life I'll be alive in. Human brains are wired to believe in a higher figure, to have someone to trust and guide them and that naturally lead to religions and gods being created by mankind.

Another is that I can freely live my life without fearing punishment for petty little "sins". Why would a god who governs the universe care what humans do? It's like the relationship of humans and ants (except that we have solid proof both species exist) Why would a god create a massive universe, with millions of galaxies and planets with potential lifeforms, for the sole purpose of humans?

Humans only have one life, therefore I must spend this one wisely and complete all my wishes and goals, to fulfil my own purpose that I made.

I apologise if I sounded rude, there's no other way to say it because atheism and islam are quite the opposite of each other.
Original post by xtenshiai
Omg are you me? haha Well I grew up watching anime and slowly just started to like the culture. Though Im not too obsessed with it now. I like kpop more now. I have a big interest in travelling now. If only I had the money to go travelling.. I guess unique and new experiences is what fascinates me.

So, when did u decide to become an atheist? I actually find it very annoying that people are just assumed and forced into their parents' religion, without exploring what THEY themselves believe in.....honestly, I don't get it, isn't religion based on belief? If so, then how is imposing and exposing a certain religion on me making me part of that religion if I haven't explored others and then made up my mind?? I'm an atheist not because I don't believe in god, but because I don't know which one to believe. Any thoughts on this??
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by xtenshiai

Oh and my username is japanese because I've been fascinated with japanese culture since I was 12.

Angle in Japanese? I've seen that before somewhere.
Reply 24
Original post by Balloon Baboon
Angle in Japanese? I've seen that before somewhere.

Yes tenshi = angel

Original post by fandom-queen
So, when did u decide to become an atheist? I actually find it very annoying that people are just assumed and forced into their parents' religion, without exploring what THEY themselves believe in.....honestly, I don't get it, isn't religion based on belief? If so, then how is imposing and exposing a certain religion on me making me part of that religion if I haven't explored others and then made up my mind?? I'm an atheist not because I don't believe in god, but because I don't know which one to believe. Any thoughts on this??

I didn't really decide to become one. I just found myself slowly realising the truth around the time I was 15/16. I agree, belief isn't really true belief if you're being forced into it. I think you should truly research about what religions say on heaven and hell, sin, god. Do you believe in evolution? Read this. Time is truly fascinating. When I started thinking about how vast the universe was, it led me on to other questions like heaven and hell (why would a god create a heaven and hell for our species when there are possibly billions of other species out there in the universe?) Honestly I don't think any religion is true. Just like how we find the people believing in Greek gods laughable, in the future people do the same for the gods in abrahamic religions.

I believe god is imaginary. Please check out the links I provided.
Then what is the point of living in this world if you're an atheist as you'll be suffering for no reason which you won't be rewarded/judged for
Reply 26
Original post by Muhammad Shafi
Then what is the point of living in this world if you're an atheist as you'll be suffering for no reason which you won't be rewarded/judged for

The real point in living is to pass on our genes as that is the only way we "live on". Everyone makes their purpose in life, mine is to enjoy it and make my loved ones happy.

What do you mean suffering? I'm not suffering at all and I won't be after I die because our body ceases to be. This means nothing in our body will work, we won't be able to feel emotions or pain and that is a pretty much well-known fact.

I don't need a god that might or might not exist to reward or judge me. There is no real evidence to state that he exists. I am not a brainwashed sheep that believes anything that is told to me. I have learned to question the meaning and logic behind things.

Quick Reply

Latest