The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sunfowers01
Feeling really low :frown:

:hugs:

Remember this is the hardest part to get through- it will get better! Can we help you with anything?
We can do it :biggrin:
Original post by peony flowers
:hugs:

Remember this is the hardest part to get through- it will get better! Can we help you with anything?

Thanks for replying. I had an awful class with mixed level teenagers who just override everything I say. I was then made to feel like I'm not doing enough by the owners of the academy. I don't think they meant anything by it, I had just had a horrid day. Not sure I'm cut out for this. There is too much at stake.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone else finding it near on impossible to think about buying Christmas presents? It's getting dangerously close to Christmas and all I can think about is planning, evaluating and the two essays I have due soon! It sounds weird but I can never find the time to think about what to get people?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for replying. I had an awful class with mixed level teenagers who just override everything I say. I was then made to feel like I'm not doing enough by the owners of the academy. I don't think they meant anything by it, I had just had a horrid day. Not sure I'm cut out for this. There is too much at stake.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think feeling so bad shows that you are cut out for it, because you obviously care! Tomorrow's a new day, I'm sure it'll be better x
Anyone else struggling with lessons as we get closer to christmas? Getting my year 7s this morning to pay attention was like pulling teeth and I was observed too so that made me react by panicking a little.

My feedback was good. Behaviour was good, content and lesson planning good but them watching my demos and following the guidance given on the spreadsheet was just a nightmare.

I have year 9s next and what I was planning to do just seems silly now. Going to rewrite everything in the 2 hours I have now. Justifiable to use a childish language (Scratch) to approach putting skills together in the way they'll do it with the higher language? Half of the class are out on a trip so I don't think pushing on with skills will really work.
Just read the perfect book for anyone needing cheering up on their PGCE and just discovered it's free as an ebook on Amazon until Tues 9 Dec 14. 'Miss, Mrs or Ms' by Paula Clamp is about 3 student teachers and it really is a great pick-me-up.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Miss-Mrs-Ms-Paula-Clamp-ebook/dp/B00QFCTMGA/ref=asap_B001K84VTM_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1417773597&sr=1-5

Original post by Sue-Ellen
Just read the perfect book for anyone needing cheering up on their PGCE and just discovered it's free as an ebook on Amazon until Tues 9 Dec 14. 'Miss, Mrs or Ms' by Paula Clamp is about 3 student teachers and it really is a great pick-me-up.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Miss-Mrs-Ms-Paula-Clamp-ebook/dp/B00QFCTMGA/ref=asap_B001K84VTM_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1417773597&sr=1-5

Thanks, I'm gonna give it a read even though I'm an NQT :tongue: defo need a pick me up..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey!

I've not really been around since the start of the course but you all sound like you are getting on well! If you are feeling low just remember it's nearly Christmas 🎄

My placement has had some rather tough moments but finally things are looking up,I wanted a good on a lesson observation so much and now I've had 2! One was even a link tutor observation and one was pe lol, my final assessment review is Thursday and I really want good overall but I don't think I'll manage it this time because my 5 observations have been 3 ri and 2 good so my average isn't good enough booooooo but I did get to spend some time in early years for observation of good practice purposes and found that's what I want to do, I can't believe how much I have learned in such a short period of time.
Original post by outlaw-torn
Thanks, I'm gonna give it a read even though I'm an NQT :tongue: defo need a pick me up..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good for you - if you're an NQT you're probably very busy- I could always give you page references to the sexy bits and you could skip the rest!
Original post by Sue-Ellen

Thank you. I am only just applying for the PGCE but wotk as a TA. Always looking for good books x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4451
I'm beyond stressed - I need calming down, I have 6 lessons to plan from scratch for next week, one of which is formally observed on top of this stupid 1600 word assignment in for Monday which I have no clue what I'm writing about.

:'( I wanna quit!
Original post by Sam89
I'm beyond stressed - I need calming down, I have 6 lessons to plan from scratch for next week, one of which is formally observed on top of this stupid 1600 word assignment in for Monday which I have no clue what I'm writing about.

I'm willing to offer an ear if needed. What's your subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4453
I'm willing to offer an ear if needed. What's your subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!

Computing/ICT :|

I remember in my last assignment my tutor said I passed and did well and this girl who was really struggling I showed her mine and helped her and now that I need help she's ignoring me..
I feel kinda peed she basically used me :frown: sighs

I know there are 2 weeks left, but seems like the hardest 2 weeks.
Original post by Sam89
Thank you!

Computing/ICT :|

I remember in my last assignment my tutor said I passed and did well and this girl who was really struggling I showed her mine and helped her and now that I need help she's ignoring me..
I feel kinda peed she basically used me :frown: sighs

I know there are 2 weeks left, but seems like the hardest 2 weeks.

Do you use teach ict for your teaching resources? Its helped me out so many times with ideas for activities/worksheets etc what lessons are you struggling to plan? Im training in it and cs too so i might be able to help?
Reply 4455
Original post by Ratchit99
Do you use teach ict for your teaching resources? Its helped me out so many times with ideas for activities/worksheets etc what lessons are you struggling to plan? Im training in it and cs too so i might be able to help?

I do use teach ict but it's limited without subscription :\

2 lessons I'm stressing about are, diary management software and one on conditional formatting in spreadsheets with year 7's that one is stressing me out the most I'm awful with spreadsheets.
Original post by Sam89

2 lessons I'm stressing about are, diary management software and one on conditional formatting in spreadsheets with year 7's that one is stressing me out the most I'm awful with spreadsheets.

Conditional formatting i mixed in with modelling. At my school we do a bakery and have a basic model with costs for 1 cake and a second column thats conditionally formatted to a value of cakes that you enter yourself. Kids like that as they like cakes and so the conditinal formatting gets put together with some questions. Format and then get them to enter values and check so like if i have to make 50 cakes, how much flour do i need? How much is it going to cost me to make 25 cakes? Etc. How does that sound?
Had a sucky observation yesterday that I'm really upset about. The teacher was only half paying attention to me and didn't pick up on half of the things that I had going on. Ugh.

Anyway, almost done now. Just need to come up with christmas things for my final year 8 and year 9 lessons this week and then three lessons for my year 7s. I'm thinking game in scratch for year 9, something in fireworks for my year 7s and I have no idea what to do with my year 8s yet but there'll be something available I'm sure. We're looking at algorithms so maybe making the christmas game with them will work too?

Original post by Sam89

I used a shop to teach conditional formatting. I had it change to red if the product wasn't creating enough of a profit. I demonstrated it quickly with the pupils but also recorded a 1 minute screen video going through the steps again so that the pupils could refer back to it. I'm finding making little videos to be an absolute life saver for my spreadsheet module because there are so many skills and so many pupils at a load of different levels.
Original post by Sam89

Just remember that there's a reason this is the time when most PGCE dropouts occur. We're all in a position where every week the workload ramps up, and then as christmas approaches it's been a good while since you last felt like you were on top of things and in control. Then assignment deadlines begin to encroach and formal observations begin. Everyone feels like that - stick it out for the next couple of weeks, take christmas to re-energise and catch up on work and then begin the new term afresh.
Original post by ParadoxSocks

I used a shop to teach conditional formatting. I had it change to red if the product wasn't creating enough of a profit. I demonstrated it quickly with the pupils but also recorded a 1 minute screen video going through the steps again so that the pupils could refer back to it. I'm finding making little videos to be an absolute life saver for my spreadsheet module because there are so many skills and so many pupils at a load of different levels.

Balls, sorry i was saying about absolute referencing in my advice! Sorry! You can tell its saturday night!
Conditional formatting, similar to the above but an airplane booking system. Give them the outline of a plane with seats, they get the cell for a seat to change colour depending on wjether its adult, child or concession.
Sorry! Brain has melted! Lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending