The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EHZ17
I've got LSE, UCL and Surrey. Surrey was around 2 weeks after my application, UCL was around a month, LSE was around 1 week after UCL.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, can you tell me when you got LSE offer? It has been 4.5 weeks since I got the LSE 8 week email. Also, what were your exam stats?
Original post by kohakz
Hey, can you tell me when you got LSE offer? It has been 4.5 weeks since I got the LSE 8 week email. Also, what were your exam stats?

He's predicted 3 A*s+A in AS further maths!
Original post by KarlMarx72
Go A*AA from LSE some time back.

CAn you tell me your exam stats, and how long it had been since you received the 8 week email from LSE that you got the offer
Original post by groovyd97
Got UCL and LSE so far, expecting an oxford rejection in the coming days but who cares lol?!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you tell me your exam stats and when you got your offer and in particular how many weeks after the 8 week email that you got the offer? That'd be great. Thanks
Reply 1944
Hello all, I'd like a little advice regarding the probability of getting an offer from my chosen Unis. Little context, retake student with average GCSE grades (well below average after looking at this site, aha). I got AAAC in my retake year in Maths, History, Economics and Chemistry respectively. I'm also predicted A*A*A. What are my chances for pure Economics at UCL (unlikely I know), Bristol/Bath (also unlikely), Queen Mary, Surrey and Southampton?
Original post by HugeA
Hello all, I'd like a little advice regarding the probability of getting an offer from my chosen Unis. Little context, retake student with average GCSE grades (well below average after looking at this site, aha). I got AAAC in my retake year in Maths, History, Economics and Chemistry respectively. I'm also predicted A*A*A. What are my chances for pure Economics at UCL (unlikely I know), Bristol/Bath (also unlikely), Queen Mary, Surrey and Southampton?

Queen's Mary,Surrey and Southampton-offers to be honest
UCL-Quite unlikely but still go for it!
Bath/Bristol-might be a chance
Reply 1946
Original post by Skill Twix
Queen's Mary,Surrey and Southampton-offers to be honest
UCL-Quite unlikely but still go for it!
Bath/Bristol-might be a chance

Thanks for the reply :smile:
Original post by HugeA
Thanks for the reply :smile:

I am not an admission tutor.
I wish you get all offers good luck!
Original post by EHZ17
I'm concerned about the maths bit of my interview. I don't know if I should gear revision towards calculus or statistics

Posted from TSR Mobile

Had my interview today. I was given a written Maths test. There were a few difficult problems, all based on Calculus. Its good to have a general knowledge of Statistics, but make sure you know optimisation like the back of your hand. They aren't straightforward, so you need to think outside the box. Good luck!
Original post by kohakz

about a month.

Maths 98% (p A*)
Econ 100% (p A*)
Eng 100% (p A*)
Phys 81% (dropped)
p A in AS FM
Original post by dmirza1996
Had my interview today. I was given a written Maths test. There were a few difficult problems, all based on Calculus. Its good to have a general knowledge of Statistics, but make sure you know optimisation like the back of your hand. They aren't straightforward, so you need to think outside the box. Good luck!

which college dude?
I was literally just reading the UCAS site and that was mentioned. And yeah, they said you have to contact the University itself - but I don't know the general success rate. Good luck!

Source: http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/undergraduate/tracking-your-application/making-changes

EDIT: Huh. I can't see the comment I replied to. Am I going crazy?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kohakz
Can you tell me your exam stats and when you got your offer and in particular how many weeks after the 8 week email that you got the offer? That'd be great. Thanks

Just go on my profile, I've posted it quite a lot. Got the email about 2 and a half weeks after the 8 week email - this was last Thursday

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jchap9776
which college dude?

Churchill :smile:
Original post by dmirza1996

Any logic questions at all? Was there more integration? I would always imagine it to be an economics context. I think my interview will be slightly different as I have a prep study and around 5-10 minutes for maths problems. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've gotten offers from Bristol & Warwick (A*AA) and Notts (AAA / AABB) . Still waiting for UCL & Durham . An international applicant :smile:
Original post by faizal7faudzi
I've gotten offers from Bristol & Warwick (A*AA) and Notts (AAA / AABB) . Still waiting for UCL & Durham . An international applicant :smile:

Your stats?
Original post by Skill Twix
Your stats?

Subjects : Econs, Chemistry, Maths , Further Maths (Planning to drop)
AS Results : ABB
Predicted : AAAB
Original post by EHZ17
Any logic questions at all? Was there more integration? I would always imagine it to be an economics context. I think my interview will be slightly different as I have a prep study and around 5-10 minutes for maths problems. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It may be slightly different, but I'm just sharing my experiences. They told me I would have a set of "Maths problems in an Economics context" - and they gave me exactly that. Lots of optimisation (finding maxima etc...). I originally figured that they would give me questions on Marginal analysis, using optimisation to maximise profits or something... But that would be too familiar. The context of the problems I had did not really draw from Economics at all, but the skills you require draw heavily from Mathematical Economics. Hope this helps. Good luck.

EDIT: I had around 30 minutes to complete 2 problems, but I didn't have any other form of prep study. No integration on my paper at all. One of the problems was a variation of an old chestnut, so it may be worth your while to practice some logic problems.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by faizal7faudzi
Subjects : Econs, Chemistry, Maths , Further Maths (Planning to drop)
AS Results : ABB
Predicted : AAAB

My results:ABBB
Predicted:A*AA
Applying to same universities as you.You give me some hope for Warwick and Bristol!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending