The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

How do Grey's and St. Mary's compare for Physics?

Hi, I'm applying to Durham to do Physics. The two colleges that I am thinking of at the moment are Grey's and St. Mary's, and I would like to find out about how they compare - e.g what the people are like (introverted, extroverted, sporty, not sport etc.), the amount of people that do subjects like Physics, the general atmosphere etc.

Thanks
Hey, just giving this thread a bump :bump: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help you get more responses. :yy:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. :h:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Both colleges are nice, and both will have a hugely wide range of people. They're both in excellent locations for studying Physics (less than a 5 min walk to lectures!) and both will have a similar good standard of facilities and societies and sports teams.

However what we can't say is what the people are 'generally' like. The college allocation system means that people are randomly selected for their preferred college, so each year there is a great mix of people. I wouldn't say either has even a reputation of being any of the above! People are allocated to each college such that each college has a mix of all different subjects too so neither has a reputation (anymore) of being particularly science focused or anything!

Sorry that this probably doesn't help that much! Basically go for whichever you think meets your needs best and where you'd be happiest living. You'll find friends and people with similar interests in all colleges :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks for replying :biggrin:

I've decided to apply to Grey now :smile:
Original post by OR/AS
Thanks for replying :biggrin:

I've decided to apply to Grey now :smile:

Go Grey! GREY ARMY! Seriously though I'd say you picked the better college for Physics, the building is literally at the bottom of our garden path... it probably won't be the same every year obviously but everyone doing physics here are such good friends, they have weekly study sessions in the shared room directly below mine. Also, for some reason the physics students always end up on the fireworks committee at the college - which hundreds of people from the whole uni go to, so if you do get in I'd recommend joining in with that!
Reply 5
Sounds awesome! Looking forward to it even more now :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending