The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Big shock in the cup tonight, always something about a bit of magic on a Friday night, Blyth dumping out Hartlepool.
Original post by hskjlclcn
Not a bad nights work for Watford. Fulham with Kiraly in goal really is an ugly sight!

Doe he still wear tracksuit bottoms more associated with Jeremy Kyle viewers?
Original post by ra-ra-ra
Haha, I was asking for that. You're lucky I don't need any footage as the season remains pretty clear. It was the beginning of that "fall" for us. It'll be 10 years in May as it was the 04/05 season when we went into administration, so it was already pretty grim for us anyway...We would have stayed up if we didn't get those 10 points taken off us. I'm beginning to feel a return to the Football League is a long way off, never mind getting back to League One.

I have the feeling I will be saying the same thing in a few years time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rock Fan
Big shock in the cup tonight, always something about a bit of magic on a Friday night, Blyth dumping out Hartlepool.

Hartlepool have sacked their manager. Christ.
Huddersfield away today. It's great being able to leave the house after midday for a game.
Wednesday already a goal up against Blackburn and Leeds have scored against Ipswich

Edit: Wednesday's lead didn't last long and seems like a serious injury to Lewis McGugan, meanwhile Derby are already 3-0 up against Brighton after 20 minutes, Brentford sadly losing to Huddersfield and Middlesbrough 4-0 up against Millwall before half time
(edited 9 years ago)
We played poorly today. Huddersfield had a game plan and stuck to it and our wing backs couldn't decide whether to attack or sit back and stop their wingers getting in behind, which resulted in them being stuck inbetween and being mostly ineffectual. Never mind, I'm very happy with a five game winning streak and I can look to this defeat as the curse of the Manager of the Month.
The worst refereeing performance i've seen in 10 years, most definitely. Mike Jones you have had one.

A fairly even, good flowing game of football with us leading, perhaps deservedly. Van La Parra goes for a 50/50 ball in the air, with their defender - is second to the ball, foul at most for most people of a neutral persuasion, but not good old Mike Jones. Once he'd incited the atmosphere to turn against him he did everything he could to play the villain, a Bournemouth player didn't have to appeal a decision for him to blow his whistle. The sending off at the end is laughable, another strong but fair challenge, but whatever because Mike Jones knows best.

I can't blame the players, again we weren't at our early season form but we gave everything and deserved at least a point. It says it all that ****ing Uriah Rennie probably would have been disappointed with that performance.

I'm not even mad...
Huddersfield are so inconsistent it is unreal, they pull a good performance followed by a bad one. Ask for Millwall they got absolutely destroyed today by Middlesbrough, was another bad day for Leeds as they went down 4-1 at Ipswich and Wednesday have now won back to back games. It looks like Gary Rowett's honeymoon period may be over after Birmingham lost 1-0 to Blackpool.

MK Dons were surprisingly knocked out by Chesterfield, currently Wrexham are beating Maidstone 1-0.
Blackpool may have got the win today but them staying up is SUCH a tough task. Also, didn't see Fulham's result last night coming. Thought they were full of confidence under Kit.
What's going on at Brighton? Seem to be on an irreversible slide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Feel for Hyypia tbh. He's been a childhood hero of mine for so long - but it's tough for foreign managers to get teams going in the Championship. It's SUCH a tough league.
Brighton were up against a Derby side who are in red hot form.

Original post by Mackay
Blackpool may have got the win today but them staying up is SUCH a tough task. Also, didn't see Fulham's result last night coming. Thought they were full of confidence under Kit.

Didn't help themselves when they had their keeper sent off early on.
Original post by Mackay
Feel for Hyypia tbh. He's been a childhood hero of mine for so long - but it's tough for foreign managers to get teams going in the Championship. It's SUCH a tough league.

I lived in Brighton during their first year at the Amex and the optimism in the city was huge. Seems as though that's worn off and the grind has caught up. Shame, a really good club and good fans.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mackay

There's no such thing as confidence when Abdi/Deeney/Vydra get their trio working.

Also, that Wolves red card was utterly stupid.
(edited 9 years ago)

MK Dons were surprisingly knocked out by Chesterfield, currently Wrexham are beating Maidstone 1-0.

Maidstone put up a good fight and if it wasn’t for our keeper, Flatt, they could have easily managed a draw but he pulled off a couple of good saves. Felt a little bit nervous when they pulled it back to 2-1 but an enjoyable match with 46 shots in total. Plus no red cards for us which is a bonus considering our poor discipline this season.

Into the third round and avoided being humiliated, for now. A big team in this round would be great, not just because of the whole “big” team thing but the money to come from it would be great. This is why I love the cups as the money we can generate from cup matches can help a fan owned club with a very small budget go a long way. Even winning the FA Trophy was beneficial for us as we would have never been able to get out of debt last year if we didn’t win that competition. I know some people are divided and would rather concentrate on the league but going on a bit of a cup run is always welcome in my eyes.

Not really the best round of matches today for a "cup upset". Could be different tomorrow as there are a few mismatches between teams who could pull off a little surprise starting with Gateshead-Warrington at noon.
Maidstone put up a good fight and if it wasn’t for our keeper, Flatt, they could have easily managed a draw but he pulled off a couple of good saves. Felt a little bit nervous when they pulled it back to 2-1 but an enjoyable match with 46 shots in total. Plus no red cards for us which is a bonus considering our poor discipline this season.

Into the third round and avoided being humiliated, for now. A big team in this round would be great, not just because of the whole “big” team thing but the money to come from it would be great. This is why I love the cups as the money we can generate from cup matches can help a fan owned club with a very small budget go a long way. Even winning the FA Trophy was beneficial for us as we would have never been able to get out of debt last year if we didn’t win that competition. I know some people are divided and would rather concentrate on the league but going on a bit of a cup run is always welcome in my eyes.

Not really the best round of matches today for a "cup upset". Could be different tomorrow as there are a few mismatches between teams who could pull off a little surprise starting with Gateshead-Warrington at noon.

Yeah a cup run is always fun because always throws up some interesting ties, whilst there wasn't much in the way of upsets today, last night certainly provided one and we'll see if any come up tomorrow.

Obviously it's disappointing to go out of the cup so early, but on the plus side we can now focus on promotion.
Original post by CraigWM
There's no such thing as confidence when Abdi/Deeney/Vydra get their trio working.

Also, that Wolves red card was utterly stupid.

Good old Mike, that trusty old game ruiner.

Maidstone put up a good fight and if it wasn’t for our keeper, Flatt, they could have easily managed a draw but he pulled off a couple of good saves.

Flatt did well then?! Noticed it was his debut and we have a good habit of bringing through good quality academy keepers.
Come on Worcester!

Quick Reply

Latest