The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ratchit99
Balls, sorry i was saying about absolute referencing in my advice! Sorry! You can tell its saturday night!
Conditional formatting, similar to the above but an airplane booking system. Give them the outline of a plane with seats, they get the cell for a seat to change colour depending on wjether its adult, child or concession.
Sorry! Brain has melted! Lol

haha. It's okay! Similar thing - we used it to set the VAT of the shop. I had them drag the formula down and see that it was wrong and then asked what kind of thing I needed to do to correct it. So then they said to keep the same reference and I showed them how to do it.
Anyone else expecting to just come down with the worst cold ever when they stop for xmas? Lol
Anyone else expecting to just come down with the worst cold ever when they stop for xmas? Lol

Yes!!!! Stocking up on vitamins
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi guys just thought I would see how everyone is getting on? I am knackered!! I thought I was prepared for hard work... But wow! I'm in year six at the moment. I love it so much, I have a great school, great Class teacher mentor and the kids are lovely. I just feel sometimes I struggle with behaviour management. Any tips? I'm looking forward to Xmas!!

I already have the cold :frown: :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sunfowers01
I already have the cold :frown: :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh no!! Ive been getting tickles but ive managed to hold it at bay but i imagine the minute i stop itll kick in!

I'm just getting over a chest infection so I'm desperately hoping I won't be sick over christmas!
My experience has been that you get everything going for about 3 years, until you've built up an immunity, then you get very little indeed until you move school and have to start again.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
My experience has been that you get everything going for about 3 years, until you've built up an immunity, then you get very little indeed until you move school and have to start again.

Good reason to never move school then!
Hi guys, haven't been on here for a while and just checking in because I'm feeling particularly stressed this weekend! I had a pretty good week up until the last day when one of my class teachers got really angry with me because I hadn't submitted a lesson plan in time for the 48 hour deadline (the lesson is on Monday, I gave it in on Friday instead of Thursday) so that got me pretty down! Meant to be having a meeting with her and my mentor tomorrow to sort this out as she's been complaining about me quite a bit saying I'm just disorganised. Does anyone else have a class where the teacher just tells them what to teach and then gives them all the resources etc.? I think I'd much prefer to do it all from scratch, which has been working with my other class, as then I would actually feel in control of things! It's just getting me pretty low atm and I'm dreading tomorrow's lesson with her as I just don't feel like she wants me to be teaching her class at all. Which sucks because my other two classes are going quite nicely! Only two weeks left anyway!
Original post by swarfliam
Good reason to never move school then!

Indeed. Find a good one and enjoy better health.
Original post by dancing_shoes92
Hi guys, haven't been on here for a while and just checking in because I'm feeling particularly stressed this weekend! I had a pretty good week up until the last day when one of my class teachers got really angry with me because I hadn't submitted a lesson plan in time for the 48 hour deadline (the lesson is on Monday, I gave it in on Friday instead of Thursday) so that got me pretty down! Meant to be having a meeting with her and my mentor tomorrow to sort this out as she's been complaining about me quite a bit saying I'm just disorganised. Does anyone else have a class where the teacher just tells them what to teach and then gives them all the resources etc.? I think I'd much prefer to do it all from scratch, which has been working with my other class, as then I would actually feel in control of things! It's just getting me pretty low atm and I'm dreading tomorrow's lesson with her as I just don't feel like she wants me to be teaching her class at all. Which sucks because my other two classes are going quite nicely! Only two weeks left anyway!

Wow. That sounds unusual - I haven't heard of anyone being forced to use resources set out. Perhaps ask your mentor about that off the record?

I guess if I had a class and was handing it over to a trainee I'd struggle not to be really possessive too - the whole point of this year is for us to try things out, and see what works and what doesn't. Of course with a class I was responsible for (bear in mind that pay will now be linked to class performance in most schools) I'd be nervous about that and want to still be in control. And with christmas coming up I think the stress hits all teachers.

None of that makes it right, but it might give some context. Have you tried talking to the teacher about why they're giving you all the resources; perhaps they just think they're being really helpful?
I have come across that - someone I knew on my PGCE was in a school where they had to use the same lesson structure for every lesson and every teacher in the department used the same powerpoints etc. so they were all doing the same thing. She hated it, but spent a lot less time planning than the rest of us!

Another friend of mine ended up in that situation in her NQT year - her HoD wouldn't let her deviate from the resources provided as they were allegedly "outstanding lessons" and her own lessons couldn't possibly be as good. I don't see how a lesson resource can mean an outstanding lesson - I know when I use someone else's resource I don't teach as well as if I've planned it myself because I've not totally thought it through and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right.
Original post by tory88
Wow. That sounds unusual - I haven't heard of anyone being forced to use resources set out. Perhaps ask your mentor about that off the record?

I guess if I had a class and was handing it over to a trainee I'd struggle not to be really possessive too - the whole point of this year is for us to try things out, and see what works and what doesn't. Of course with a class I was responsible for (bear in mind that pay will now be linked to class performance in most schools) I'd be nervous about that and want to still be in control. And with christmas coming up I think the stress hits all teachers.

None of that makes it right, but it might give some context. Have you tried talking to the teacher about why they're giving you all the resources; perhaps they just think they're being really helpful?

Original post by myrtille
I have come across that - someone I knew on my PGCE was in a school where they had to use the same lesson structure for every lesson and every teacher in the department used the same powerpoints etc. so they were all doing the same thing. She hated it, but spent a lot less time planning than the rest of us!

Another friend of mine ended up in that situation in her NQT year - her HoD wouldn't let her deviate from the resources provided as they were allegedly "outstanding lessons" and her own lessons couldn't possibly be as good. I don't see how a lesson resource can mean an outstanding lesson - I know when I use someone else's resource I don't teach as well as if I've planned it myself because I've not totally thought it through and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right.

It is indeed very annoying! I'm having a meeting with her and my mentor tomorrow to talk about it as it's becoming a bit of a problem! I can kind of understand why she doesn't want to hand over her lessons, but at the same time I'm never going to deliver them as well as she would so there seems to be no point! I just don't feel confident with these lessons and tbh they're incredibly repetitive - it's travel writing so basically we have an article to look at, kids pick out interesting words, then they write their own article for that country. It's hard to be interested or get the kids interested in that lesson after lesson! And now we're just onto two assessments in a row so the kids will definitely be hating me! Ah well; I just want to get tomorrow out of the way so I only have to deal with this class 4 more times!
Original post by tory88
Just remember that there's a reason this is the time when most PGCE dropouts occur. We're all in a position where every week the workload ramps up, and then as christmas approaches it's been a good while since you last felt like you were on top of things and in control. Then assignment deadlines begin to encroach and formal observations begin. Everyone feels like that - stick it out for the next couple of weeks, take christmas to re-energise and catch up on work and then begin the new term afresh.

Sources?
Original post by Juichiro
Sources?

It's all anecdotal, but does seem to have been echoed by several different tutors at my university/placement school. I guess that makes me a bad science teacher XD
Original post by Juichiro
Sources?

Original post by tory88
It's all anecdotal, but does seem to have been echoed by several different tutors at my university/placement school. I guess that makes me a bad science teacher XD

I can see why it may be a bad time. I've heard easter is a tough time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Still, just under 2 weeks left till xmas hols guys! Ive just been invited to an interview for an nqt position in september. Slightly kacking myself!!
Still, just under 2 weeks left till xmas hols guys! Ive just been invited to an interview for an nqt position in september. Slightly kacking myself!!

That's awesome, well done. I'm super jealous!
Original post by swarfliam
That's awesome, well done. I'm super jealous!

Thanks! Waiting to find out what ive got to teach! Its on friday so eeep!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending