The Student Room Group

Anybody else find winter and Christmas ****ing depressing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
And what makes it worse is the fact that us people who don't like winter get endlessly criticised for disliking the atmosphere of winter by approximately every single human being we know

"OH DON'T BE A SCROOGE"

Oh don't be a t wat :smile:

And I don't hate Christmas or find it depressing because at the end of the day it is a religious celebration and me having a negative view towards it would be unfair, but the fact that it is so over-hyped and simply "celebrated" as a means of material gain is ridiculous. I love my mince pies; but I don't want the material hype of Christmas shoved down my throat.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Andy98
I like the cold, but christmas reminds me of stuff

You like the cold? :no:
Reply 42
Your life must be so hard mate. The "fit girls" at work would say yes if you asked them out... must suck man.
Reply 43
Original post by somethingbeautiful
You like the cold? :no:

Well yeah, I'm sweating at 15 degrees haha
Original post by Andy98
Well yeah, I'm sweating at 15 degrees haha

Haha, I see! Well you'd love my job at this time of year - I'm practically an icicle on legs. I much preferred the summer.
Reply 45
Haha, I see! Well you'd love my job at this time of year - I'm practically an icicle on legs. I much preferred the summer.

Hahahaha what do you do?
Original post by Andy98
Hahahaha what do you do?

Postie :smile:
Reply 47
Postie :smile:

Ahhh nahh, too much walking :tongue:
Original post by Andy98
Ahhh nahh, too much walking :tongue:

I know, tell me about it :biggrin:. I might need skis or a snow plow tomorrow if the weather reports are anything to go by!
Reply 49
I know, tell me about it :biggrin:. I might need skis or a snow plow tomorrow if the weather reports are anything to go by!

Why? The snow won't be that bad, they hype it up every year.
Original post by JoshZ
Your life must be so hard mate. The "fit girls" at work would say yes if you asked them out... must suck man.

How do you do that? I've asked girls out before but only on Facebook. They're either busy or do not reply.

As for doing it in real life, we do go out and socialize but flirting with girls when other people are nearby makes me feel really embarrassed like everyone will just laugh at me and make a big deal of it.

I've never been on a date one to one with a girl that I've asked out. I feel really embarrassed at the thought of getting to know a girl one to one when other people are present.
Original post by Wimbs
Winter, yes. Christmas, partly.

Winter - anyone who seriously enjoys getting up in the pitch black, the gloom that passes for daylight on cloudy days we get in this country (UK) and the streetlights turning back on before 4pm for another 17 hour shift is a masochist. (And that's the Midlands, as you go further North its more like lights on at 3pm!) Plus the lack of UV at this time of year which is thoroughly horrid for a sun worshipper like myself. (and no I won't use sunbeds.) The only thing going for Winter as a season is crisp frosty mornings and of course SNOW! :smile:

Christmas - It has a horrible way of making us introspect as we remember Christmas more than most other times of year and its like there's some alignment where we stare down every past year of our lives. New Years can also be tricky - at best you can feel a sense of accomplishment at a good year and excitement for another one - at worst you mentally stagger into it convinced you aren't seeing the end of it (that joy happened one year for me.) However, there's an abundance of good food and drinking and for the less sociable at least there's sanctioned going out with colleagues. Although at heart it is a season for kids, those WITH kids and those in a good relationship. For anyone else it is a bit meh rather than myrrh!

You sound depressed and you have learnt a hard lesson - material things do not buy happiness. I know what you mean about wanting to be a kid again - give me a time machine and I'd happily push that button back anywhere between 1993 and 2000. It makes you realise what a precious thing you have at school, college, uni and when its gone its gone.
I can relate to the thinking about girls as well! If I had pushed on a few opportunities I had to get a girl in the past, I would quite possibly have a partner now. But there's the fear of 'selling your soul' to another person, which if you have been a lone wolf largely in your life (like me) can be terrifying. I think you have to throw yourself in and when you have it, you will probably not want to be without it!

The best thing to do if you loathe Winter (beside buying a light box or going on holiday somewhere warmer and lighter) is count down the days until the Winter Solstice. Then after Dec 21st, revel in the fact that each day is a little bit lighter and brighter, even if the change is pathetically painfully small to start with! Before you know it you will be back out on that garden absorbing the rays!

What will i not want to be without once i have it?? Yeah i'm also a lone wolf, but i've been trying extra hard to be more extroverted and go out. I say yes to every opportunity unless I've got a genuine reason for not being able to make it.

I've asked out girls previously. Lord knows i find it very terrifying. I feel embarrassed and stupid for wanting to be close with a woman but my body is just screaming out for me to go hit on some women.
I like Winter when it's not raining, I like the chilly nature of it for some reason.

Anyway I used to feel like you regarding Xmas and I still agree it's an anticlimax(I spend Xmas with 2 other people and none of them is a gf e.g.) but you realise that it is not just about the day it's about other things, e.g. people coming back home for the holidays, good food, days off work etc.
I don't like winter at all.
You could have SAD - Seasonal Affective Disorder. It's a condition thought to be caused by lack of sunlight essentially, so symptoms of it tend to show up towards the winter time when the daytime is shorter (kind of October-March ish). I started seeing a counsellor about it, and it does help to talk to someone about how you're feeling. People don't always realise that it can cause pretty severe depression that can be quite mentally and even physically debilitating. You can also buy light boxes to put in your room or in your house etc. to basically try to increase your light exposure, i'm not sure it works for everyone, but it might help.
Woahh guys you need to man up a little bit. You need to block out everyone around you and talk to her. If shes decent shell yay or nay you respectively but dont go for a loud mouth attention seeking female or shell make a scene. The worst ive had is when a guy came upto me and tried to talk to me and my friend. Opening line was 'oh where you from?' Second line was 'how old re you?' Which is where i think he couldve kicked himself. At the time we were about 20 and turned out he was only 17!!! It didnt help that a group of guys sat next to us were listening in on the convo, but still to this day i rate that kid. Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
I find christmas and winter depressing too, I'm not even allowed home for Christmas this year so I'm staying in my uni house share until boxing day until I go and see my other family. (mum and dad are divorced so I have two separate families.) :/
Yes. My birthday's in December. I doubt anyone would remember without the fb reminder.

Xmas is in December. I live independently, away from family. I have to think about everyone around me enjoying the time with theirs. Plus, the music and TV shows are repetitive and annoying.

This time of the year is cold and slippery. I also seem to often be ill :frown:.

So, you're not alone OP. But remember that a good time will be around the corner :biggrin:.
Reply 58
Original post by keromedic
Yes. My birthday's in December. I doubt anyone would remember without the fb reminder.

Xmas is in December. I live independently, away from family. I have to think about everyone around me enjoying the time with theirs. Plus, the music and TV shows are repetitive and annoying.

This time of the year is cold and slippery. I also seem to often be ill :frown:.

So, you're not alone OP. But remember that a good time will be around the corner :biggrin:.

Hi ,I experience the same as you do. By the way when's your birthday ? Mine's on 31st December!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sollom
Hi ,I experience the same as you do. By the way when's your birthday ? Mine's on 31st December!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh nice. How do you work it with new years celebrations?

Next Monday. The 15th.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending