The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by J-SP
It's not a trick question.

It's in case you have anything technical/specific, the interviewers won't know so they can prepare the answers (if it is beyond them giving an opinion on something).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks J-SP!
Has anybody heard from CMS Cameron McKenna yet (after completing the critical reasoning test)? Submitted about 4 weeks ago and no reply as of yet
The Allen & Overy vac scheme form is pretty difficult. The work experience section says "Please note all university holidays should be accounted for. If you were not working please note what activities you undertook."
Original post by ChoccyWoccy
The Allen & Overy vac scheme form is pretty difficult. The work experience section says "Please note all university holidays should be accounted for. If you were not working please note what activities you undertook."

Christ. I presume they won't look too fondly upon "lying in bed and watching Netflix"...
Original post by Kidioteque
Christ. I presume they won't look too fondly upon "lying in bed and watching Netflix"...

:rofl: I would understand if they wanted you to put in details about travelling etc, but there isn't actually any space to do so in the section, given that they want job title, responsibilities etc filled in as compulsory fields :/
:rofl: I would understand if they wanted you to put in details about travelling etc, but there isn't actually any space to do so in the section, given that they want job title, responsibilities etc filled in as compulsory fields :/

That's actually quite bizarre. Haven't gotten around to the A&O application yet, but when I eventually do I'm not sure how I'll address that section :confused:
If they're saying it's time not working, why would they provide compulsory fields for job title/responsibilities??

Are you sure it's not discussing gaps in education/work history, eg if you took a gap year, so that there are no unexplained gaps? I remember doing a vs app that i also thought was initially asking me to describe what I did every Uni break (eg christmas, easter, summer) but upon closer inspection I saw what it was really asking was to fill in gaps that aren't education or work (eg if you finished sixth form in may 2013 but didnt start uni until september 2014, what did you do in that gap year??)
Original post by TykeDragon
If they're saying it's time not working, why would they provide compulsory fields for job title/responsibilities??

Are you sure it's not discussing gaps in education/work history, eg if you took a gap year, so that there are no unexplained gaps? I remember doing a vs app that i also thought was initially asking me to describe what I did every Uni break (eg christmas, easter, summer) but upon closer inspection I saw what it was really asking was to fill in gaps that aren't education or work (eg if you finished sixth form in may 2013 but didnt start uni until september 2014, what did you do in that gap year??)

That would make a lot more sense, but it specifically says: "Please note all university holidays should be accounted for. If you were not working please note what activities you undertook."
That would make a lot more sense, but it specifically says: "Please note all university holidays should be accounted for. If you were not working please note what activities you undertook."

Perhaps drop graduate recruitment an email? The instructions and the compulsory fields seem completely contradictory
Perhaps drop graduate recruitment an email? The instructions and the compulsory fields seem completely contradictory

I might just leave A&O for now and start my other planned applications! Have you managed to get any done so far?
I might just leave A&O for now and start my other planned applications! Have you managed to get any done so far?

Only a couple, desperately trying to finish my Freshfields one before it "expires" on Wednesday (wtf is up with these applications expiring after a certain number of days?!). Fortunately the majority of places I want to apply to seem not to operate on a rolling basis, so fingers crossed it'll be okay if I leave them til the Christmas holidays. How about yourself? :smile:
Only a couple, desperately trying to finish my Freshfields one before it "expires" on Wednesday (wtf is up with these applications expiring after a certain number of days?!). Fortunately the majority of places I want to apply to seem not to operate on a rolling basis, so fingers crossed it'll be okay if I leave them til the Christmas holidays. How about yourself? :smile:

Don't panic about it expiring - mine expired because I started it ages ago (just to fill in the basic info like name, address etc) and I phoned them and they reinstated it with no problem at all! :smile:

I've not completed any at all yet, also hoping that it's okay doing it in the holidays (started this weekend for me). Term time was way too busy.

Bizzarely, I've logged back into the system today and that sentence has totally vanished. Perhaps someone did email!
anyone heard from white & case? thanks :smile:
I am on the current issue/article question on the A&O a scheme app. Could someone help me a bit on how to answer it an a sort things that I may be able to write about.
Reply 475
Has anyone heard back from Baker & McKenzie (summer vac scheme)?
Reply 476
Original post by reiiko
Has anyone heard back from Baker & McKenzie (summer vac scheme)?

No, I sent mine off around mid September and am still yet to hear anything. I doubt we'll hear anything until January as they said they 'won't begin shortlisting candidates until past the deadline' so they don't fill up interview spaces.
wait, does that mean baker & mckenzie are essentially non-rolling basis?
Original post by mcrlawstudent
Interviewed for the Summer Vacation Scheme and got an offer after four days, had a friend who interviewed and was rejected after two days. Hope this helps!

Thank you, I eventually got an email but I've been put on the reserve list - so now I guess the wait is a little bit longer to see whether anything materialises from that!
Reply 479
Anyone heard from Slaughter and May for the summer vacation scheme? I applied over a month ago now and still nothing... :/ do they not apply on a rolling basis?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending