The Student Room Group

Which universities will accept me with 3AS Levels?

So until recently, I had 4 AS Levels, but i just dropped Physics and now I'm only doing Biology, Chemistry and Philosophy.
I;ve tried to research which universities may accept me, but yo there's no results and being an Asian girl, I stereotypically need to get into a good uni. Grades aren't a worry; just the number of AS subjects I'm doing.
Any clues?

Scroll to see replies

Most Universities require you to do at least 3 AS Levels so you're fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by AzadRiaz96
Most Universities require you to do at least 3 AS Levels so you're fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks man :ta:
Why can't you take another AS next year? It's not ideal but it's perfectly do-able and Universities won't care when you complete the AS level. Lo's of people in my sixth form dropped their 4th subject sometimes during the year and picked another one for upper sixth.
Original post by ChangeOurWorld
Why can't you take another AS next year? It's not ideal but it's perfectly do-able and Universities won't care when you complete the AS level. Lo's of people in my sixth form dropped their 4th subject sometimes during the year and picked another one for upper sixth.

Would you put on your university application that you're doing an AS the year that you're doing your A2?
Reply 5
Original post by ChangeOurWorld

Yeah, I'll try that, thanks. :smile:
UCL is the only uni I can think of that has a 4th AS level requirement
Original post by grassntai
Would you put on your university application that you're doing an AS the year that you're doing your A2?

Yes
Reply 8
Original post by anonwinner
UCL is the only uni I can think of that has a 4th AS level requirement

Actually, UCL accepts an EPQ as a replacement for a fourth AS which I'm starting next week so they don't have a necessity for a fourth AS. :smile:
Original post by KhushBC
Actually, UCL accepts an EPQ as a replacement for a fourth AS which I'm starting next week so they don't have a necessity for a fourth AS. :smile:

I am also doing an EPQ! What's yours going to be on?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KhushBC

The EPQ is an AS level...
Reply 11
The EPQ is an AS level...

It's situated at A2 actually, it's not an AS and nor does my school qualify it as one. :smile:
Reply 12
I am also doing an EPQ! What's yours going to be on?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you believe I still don't entirely know. xD
I was planning on doing something mainstream since I have no imagination and that was gonna be whether self inflicted illnesses are a "waste" of NHS resources. Wbu?
Original post by KhushBC
It's situated at A2 actually, it's not an AS and nor does my school qualify it as one. :smile:

It's equivalent to an AS level, except you can get an A*. I don't know what 'situated at A2' means...
Reply 14
It's equivalent to an AS level, except you can get an A*. I don't know what 'situated at A2' means...

Okay, it's equivalent to half of an A Level in terms of UCAS points, not an AS. Furthermore, it's difficultly level is at A2 rather than AS.
Also, many universities don't accept it as an AS, the same way my school doesn't offer it as an AS course.
It's just additional UCAS points to my sixth form.
Original post by KhushBC
Okay, it's equivalent to half of an A Level in terms of UCAS points, not an AS. Furthermore, it's difficultly level is at A2 rather than AS.
Also, many universities don't accept it as an AS, the same way my school doesn't offer it as an AS course.
It's just additional UCAS points to my sixth form.

Which unis don't accept it as an AS? You've just said that UCL does. As someone who did the EPQ in year 12, I wouldn't say its difficult level is above AS.
Reply 16
Which unis don't accept it as an AS? You've just said that UCL does. As someone who did the EPQ in year 12, I wouldn't say its difficult level is above AS.

I go to UCL Academy.
Hence UCL accepts it because it sponsors UCL Academy and there's a direct link between the subjects at sixth form and the uni.
Other universities don't accept it.
http://www.uclacademy.co.uk/What-Makes-Us-Different
If you scroll to the EPQ section, you'll see what I mean about it being situated at A2 difficulty.

https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/553/~/how-is-the-extended-project-qualification-(epq)-viewed-by-oxford%3F

Also, Oxford says that A Levels are more important than EPQs but an EPQ is still valued, meaning they aren't categorised as the same thing.
Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by KhushBC
Would you believe I still don't entirely know. xD
I was planning on doing something mainstream since I have no imagination and that was gonna be whether self inflicted illnesses are a "waste" of NHS resources. Wbu?

That's a good area for discussion! And I've already started mine, pretty much half way through it. Mine is related to Economics, more specifically about the distribution of income, wealth in the UK and poverty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
That's a good area for discussion! And I've already started mine, pretty much half way through it. Mine is related to Economics, more specifically about the distribution of income, wealth in the UK and poverty.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's pretty sick uno, and not that mainstream either xD
But yo, good luck with it man, what subjects you doing?
Original post by KhushBC
That's pretty sick uno, and not that mainstream either xD
But yo, good luck with it man, what subjects you doing?

I haven't started my Harvard style referencing yet which I'm leaving till the end! And I'm studying Accounting, Economics, Business, AS History and ICT. Got a very busy year in front of me, not looking forward to it at all! What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest