The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Yeah me too!! Any idea what kind of questions they will be? :s-smilie: Good luck!! (:
Original post by goonieskellie
Yeah me too!! Any idea what kind of questions they will be? :s-smilie: Good luck!! (:

No idea! I'm a bit worried about the maths ones though! 😂
Original post by alwaysalex
Hey! I'm applying from Switzerland, and with barely 6 weeks of work experience I've got 3 interviews. After reading here on the student room about how much work experience some people had, I really started freaking out and was sure I wouldnt even be considered by a lot of the unis, but I think it's so true when the vet schools say that as long as you've got the minimum, it's really about what you've learnt from it. Good luck!

Have you also applied in France? I've heard that its very VERY difficult to get in for vet med in France.

Oh wow congrats!! I know most unis normally ask for 6 weeks minimum, which I don't have :/ anyway, just have to wait and see!

I haven't applied to French unis yet, but I am going to in January. The difference with the French system is that the admission process is simple, it is just during the course that it is very competitive (people get kicked out if they are not in the top x percent) whereas in England it is the admission process which is the toughest. Also in France the vet course is 7 years!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Georgie14
Mine came through on Tuesday too. I'm still a bit in shock I think, and incredibly grateful, the thought of getting an interview never mind an offer seemed so far away a while ago, but now it seems that one way or another we're going to be vets :smile: Good luck to everyone with interviews coming up between now and Christmas.

Congratulations! You said it all there, that's exactly how I feel. It seems like we've been working up to this point for ever and now it's here, it's incredible! Just 9 months from now we could be at vet school. :eek: Yes, good luck to everyone with interviews :smile:
Applying to hartpury, Warwickshire, harper adams, bishop burton and ntu for vet physio or equine courses?
Sent application off on Friday and not heard anything from unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by milliepow
Oh wow congrats!! I know most unis normally ask for 6 weeks minimum, which I don't have :/ anyway, just have to wait and see!

I haven't applied to French unis yet, but I am going to in January. The difference with the French system is that the admission process is simple, it is just during the course that it is very competitive (people get kicked out if they are not in the top x percent) whereas in England it is the admission process which is the toughest. Also in France the vet course is 7 years!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The reason the uk schools are so rigorous in their admissions processes may include....
1. There is excess demand
2. If you admit the wrong person and they withdraw or fail you lose 5,4,3, 2 or 1 * £9k income pa. Lose 10 students in year 1 and that's £360,000 income lost for the cohort that you cannot replace in the later years.
3. They seriously and rightly want to recruit the best ( I just wish they would see me as being in that category :-) ).

o/s students .... apologies for challenging the bubble slightly, but some vet schools may see o/s student income as being more attractive than 5 weeks extra Wex. How much are O/s fees? More than £9k I suspect.
Original post by victorialouise-
Hi,
I've got an interview at Surrey on Wednesday!!!! I'm really nervous! Anyone else in the same boat?

Me too! I'm feeling a mixture of this :bricks: and this :dance:. Damn this emotional roller coaster!
Original post by wanttobevet
How much are O/s fees? More than £9k I suspect.

Hope I'm not being a pest by bumping in here, but you're completely right. The overseas/international fees are something along the lines or 23k. Insane. I tried to get changed to local fee status (still EU citizen), but because I hadn't been living in England for the last four years, it was rejected.

I can see why they wouldn't want to have many drop outs!

Original post by victorialouise-
Hi,
I've got an interview at Surrey on Wednesday!!!! I'm really nervous! Anyone else in the same boat?

Original post by VETwannabe
Me too! I'm feeling a mixture of this :bricks: and this :dance:. Damn this emotional roller coaster!

Yay! Congrats to you guys :smile:
Original post by milliepow

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow! Good luck with everything!
Original post by beth16x
Hey:smile:

I've applied for:

Harper Adams
Nottingham Trent
Edinburgh Napier
RVC
Middlesex

I have an interview for Trent on Tuesday and one for Harper on the 15th! I attended an interview at Middlesex on 25th November and they made me an offer on Thursday:smile: Don't be worried about the interview, the woman was really friendly and helpful! Do you know anything about the process? I'm happy to answer any questions for you!:smile:

Sorry to hear about Hartpury - congratulations on your other two!:biggrin:

Congrats on your offer and good luck with your interviews! :biggrin:

I read around the process, but it would be nice if you could give advice and tips? Also, what type of questions would they ask and what did you wear? :smile:

Thank you!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by VETwannabe

Well done guys! My surrey interview was last wednesday and they gave me an offer the next day! So I hope it goes well for you and maybe you'll find out real soon if you've got in or not! Good luck! They are so friendly its ridiculous:smile:)
Got acknowlegement email from harper adams....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone, just a quick question does anyone remember what the vet bmat question this year was? :smile: thanks and best of luck to everyone!
Original post by Debrawrh
Congrats on your offer and good luck with your interviews! :biggrin:

I read around the process, but it would be nice if you could give advice and tips? Also, what type of questions would they ask and what did you wear? :smile:

Thank you!

Thankyou!

They written task is basically your own opinion about animal welfare and it's best to read related news and acts etc! Make sure you know the nursing role and other than that it's general questions about Uni life for example! Be honest, interact with others in the group:-)

I wore a floral skirt and a pink jumper with ankle boots! It doesn't have to be office formal I don't think, but as long as its smart casual it should be fine:-)
Original post by katehassall
Well done guys! My surrey interview was last wednesday and they gave me an offer the next day! So I hope it goes well for you and maybe you'll find out real soon if you've got in or not! Good luck! They are so friendly its ridiculous:smile:)

Congrats that's amazing!

Original post by 2015vethopeful
Hi everyone, just a quick question does anyone remember what the vet bmat question this year was? :smile: thanks and best of luck to everyone!

It was something along the lines of "Modern veterinary medicine benefits (or is more for the benefit of?) humans more than the animals it cares for." Discuss.
Original post by Tom Winfield
Anyone heading to Surrey for interview on the 14th Jan?
Also would appreciate any advice on the MMI format like how to prepare
Thanks

Hey! Good luck with your interview! Try and learn as much as you can surrounding ethics in the veterinary role and anything you can pick up on about vet med in the news I would say will be really useful! All I did was recap everything I had learnt on my placements and tried to practise answering questions while super stressed The answers should come naturally to you so just don't panic! :smile:
Hey everyone, I've got an interview at RVC on Thursday (11th Dec) and I was just wondering if anyone has been there for an interview yet, just so I sort of know what to expect 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by milliehp
Anyone else have an interview at Bristol on the 14th of Jan? everyone seems to be on a different day :frown:

Yep I have mine that day too!
Reply 4298
what do you wear to an interview??? STRESSING :frown:
Original post by mk981
what do you wear to an interview??? STRESSING :frown:

Smart, if a guy - suit trousers, shirt, tie, nice shoes

If a girl - smart trousers or skirt, blouse, possibly jacket etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending