The Student Room Group

Cannabis among university students.

Why do you think university students tend to smoke cannabis?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chloe_Lock
Why do you think university students tend to smoke cannabis?

Because they're children away from home for the first time surrounded by lots of other equally foolish young people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because a lot of them think it should be legal, they meet more like minded people and it's easier to get. Also the smell is pretty obvious so you can't exactly go back to your parents house smelling like it.
Because they're idiots.
Because it's fun.
Well I suppose just because they think it's fun.
I don't really think that they do it because they're stupid, which seems to be the opinion of a few so far. I've never personally tried it, since it's illegal so I don't know if I could trust any source that it comes from and I don't really have the money for it.
But Cannabis is far less likely to kill you or cause you long term problems than drinking alcohol.
If you smoke too much of it, you can get really anxious, but that eventually passes and you can't become physically dependent on it. 24 hours after using it your cognitive functioning will be pretty much as the same as it was before, and that's after using an excessive amount.
Sometimes if a person has a underlying psychological condition cannabis could trigger it, so it definitely is not for everyone, especially if there's a history of mental illness in the family.
It can be abused, but many legal substances can be abused with much more serious consequences. It's just something else that needs to be used responsibly.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
because we're young, and why not
For the same reason anybody smokes Cannabis. To get high.
No, I have been to Amsterdam a few times, nomsayin...
Because we wanna get loaded, and have a good time.
I think the interesting question is why cannabis, not another drug. Different social groups outside university tend to different drugs, but weed is pretty common at uni as the drug of choice. I guess one factor might be that there's a lot of it around, so I'm guessing it's cheaper (supply and demand etc)? Also it's not the most extreme drug effects wise, and most students probably want a gentle-moderate high rather than a full blown psychedelic experience when they're working the next day.

disclaimer: I don't take drugs, but have experience of drug taking in my social circle
have had it many times before but only on a social basis and even then its passing it around with mates. tbh you sort of grow out of it in the end (well i did). would much rather a cigarette and few beers then cannabis tbh
It is cheap, easy to use and cures boredom. Also it is great fun.
because we have stress, and we need to relieved.

they said graduate students smoke more than undergraduate. you can guess why.
Original post by Welsh Locs
Because we wanna get loaded, and have a good time.

Ans that's what we're gonna do. We're gonna have a good time. We're gonna have a party.
Original post by Arianto
Ans that's what we're gonna do. We're gonna have a good time. We're gonna have a party.

Alright baby lets go!
Original post by Welsh Locs
Alright baby lets go!

I don't wanna lose your love, I don't wanna lose your love
Reply 17
Overrated.
Yes.
That's like calling Bob Marley a fool.

Quick Reply

Latest