The Student Room Group

I wish I was clever :(

So I am 16 and I did okay in my GCSE's... I know I can pull it out the bag for A-level if I study really hard. But what makes me sad is my actual 'intelligence'. I have been called 'academic' before or 'clever' but I don't shine in class,maybe in my test papers but that's because I have studied until my eyes bled. I am not naturally intelligent,I don't have that magic gene. I need to go home and study to grasp things,they don't always the just click in class. It makes me sad and the saddest part is that I don't exactly shine in one particular subject,I just do okay in them all(nothing amazing)

I am so sick of being 'average' I HATE IT. It's worse than be completely ignorant on all aspect of life because at least that way you would have to come to terms with being unintelligent.

I wish I could do very complicated sums and state people in history and know exactly what they did. I wish I could just excel :frown: I am just an average person and its horrible being me.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rosebud114
So I am 16 and I did okay in my GCSE's... I know I can pull it out the bag for A-level if I study really hard. But what makes me sad is my actual 'intelligence'. I have been called 'academic' before or 'clever' but I don't shine in class,maybe in my test papers but that's because I have studied until my eyes bled. I am not naturally intelligent,I don't have that magic gene. I need to go home and study to grasp things,they don't always the just click in class. It makes me sad and the saddest part is that I don't exactly shine in one particular subject,I just do okay in them all(nothing amazing)

I am so sick of being 'average' I HATE IT. It's worse than be completely ignorant on all aspect of life because at least that way you would have to come to terms with being unintelligent.

I wish I could do very complicated sums and state people in history and know exactly what they did. I wish I could just excel :frown: I am just an average person and its horrible being me.

If it's any consolation, it wouldn't be any easier if you were more 'intelligent' (of course that's a gross simplification since it implies intelligence can be quantified or measured, which it can't). There will always be someone more intelligent than you - there will be people less academic than you who feel the same way and there will be people more academic than you who feel the same way. Falling into the whole "I wish I was more intelligent" frame of mind is dangerous and I suspect it gets worse the better you actually do. The better you perform, the more you dramatise petty differences - the grass is always greener on the other side.

Adding to the point raised above, your intelligence isn't dictated by how well you do in school. There are plenty of people who have really brilliant skills, which unfortunately haven't been recognised or noticed (perhaps not even by themselves) because this system that we have in modern society really only recognises one narrow definition of intelligence - people who do well in exams. That definitely isn't what intelligence is, so you shouldn't feel disheartened if you don't fall into that definition. Intelligence definitely isn't defined by being able to do complicated sums and knowing lots of historical figures!

On top of that, those really aren't the most important things in life. I think it's infinitely more important to be a free and creative thinker and to have a big conscience and strong sense of morality than to do well in traditional tests of intelligence. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that there doesn't seem to be a lot of correlation between a person's academic ability and how 'good' a person they are.
(edited 9 years ago)
My advice is work harder than you think you can. You have got to stretch yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3

What you doing on TSR then go study.
What I can tell you is everyone's intelligence levels are quite similar.It just depends on the number of hours you work hard!
“Genius is 1% talent and 99% percent hard work...” - Albert Einstein

Truer words have never been spoken.

OP there's something you realise as you progress through life, as Chlorophile mentioned, there are always going to be people more Intelligent than you, BUT that doesn't excuse them from hard work too. Sometimes you see people more "Intelligent" than you but in reality, they have probably put more hard work and effort towards their goals (even if they don't mention it themselves:wink:)

Have a look at this motivational video from Eric Thomas, it made me change my outlook on hard work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDFC16ptx-0

Hope this helped!
:thumbsup:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by H.Ibrahim
“Genius is 1% talent and 99% percent hard work...” - Albert Einstein

Truer words have never been spoken.

OP there's something you realise as you progress through life, as Chlorophile mentioned, there are always going to be people more Intelligent than you, BUT that doesn't excuse them from hard work too. Sometimes you see people more "Intelligent" than you but in reality, they have probably put more hard work and effort towards their goals (even if they don't mention it themselves:wink:)

Have a look at this motivational video from Eric Thomas, it made me change my outlook on hard work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDFC16ptx-0

Hope this helped!

Well said!
Reply 7
Intelligence is something that is developed over time. Some people are born 'intelligent' whereas others become intelligent through process in life. You just need to remember that everyday you learn something new and everyday you become smarter than the person you were yesterday. Don't try to be cleverer than other people - it's not about others! You need to make sure you're smarter than the person you were the other day. The only way to achieve this is through hard work. And don't be disheartened if things don't you your way atm, it takes time.
I and many others know exactly how you feel
So best of luck for the future, I'm certain you can do it!
Good luck :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

The best thing to do is to get all A grades in your A levels and also to get additional awards which will implicate your intelligence and contribution to society
Reply 9
Academia isn't the only measure of intelligence... despite what many on this forum might think.
i feel the same OP :frown:
I wish I was clever, too. ='(

I know how you feel. Just keep at it and one day you will get it. Humans have the natural ability to learn. The more you learn, the more you will find out, and one day, it will click. Once it clicks, you will realise how to learn in a way that helps you understand, and the rest of the stuff will come more naturally to you.
Reply 13

To me intelligence just means understanding something very well. It is not to do with achievement or qualifications per se. Those require motivation and perseverance. There must be something you understand more than most people around you hence you are intelligent in that aspect. This idea of a "magic gene" is baloney, it is more to do with personality type which is mostly a matter of environment and chance anyway.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Can I just say, I'm exactly a 180 degrees. I don't mean I'm any Will Hunting or John Nash (in other words, GENIUS), but in the sense that I have a phobia of working hard. I've always been an average student, and I always try my best to concentrate on my work, but I think lack of concentration and fear of failure get in the way. I never work hard, because I feel like, if I try my best and then don't become the next Nobel prize winner, it would break me, and I'd deem myself as a failure and consider myself dumb because there are 1000s of people better than me who excel while putting 1/10th of the effort I have. Currently, as I don't work to the best of my ability, I just find solace in the fact that I'm not working to my full potential, and if I did, I'd excel. Call it psychological, but it's a problem I would give anything to overcome. I WISH I COULD WORK HARD.

To you, I commend you for working hard. There's this girl in my class whom I really respect. She gets lower grades than me (only slightly) but works her **s off. I finished my GCSEs last month, and my friend (another slacker) were discussing who would do best and stuff. We both agreed that, if we wanted someone to come on top, it was her, because she was really hard working and no one deserved it more. We may do better than her, but I would feel guilty if I did better. She is really hard working and stayed up till hours that I probably would have been snoring away in (probably cuddled up in a blanket too). I'm sure that although she doesn't do as well as anyone else in school, she'll have a VERY bright future ahead of her (as Chlorophile said, exam grades aren't everything)

In a nutshell, I do not have a very fact-based answer and instead, a slightly philosophical and dramatic one. Hard work is something no one will be able to replace. Maybe, studies is not your thing. Maybe you are destined to be a singer, or an actor or even a circus fire-eater. No matter what, that ability to work hard and 'work till you bleed' will always come in handy. Hard work is a quality people have, just like a sense of humour, or logical thinking. and you should be proud of it. Keep exploring your talents and abilities, and hopefully, I will see you in future as a famous fire-eater in a world-renowned circus.

P.S: Only a handful of people can quote Shakespeare or the game theory like the back of their hand. Don't fret over it. Don't write yourself off so easily, you hard workers put up tough competition for the geniuses and prodigies of the world. When one day you win a Grammy or Oscar or a Circus award thingie, you can have bragging rights about the fact that the guy standing next to you may have been twice as talented and intelligent, but he STILL came second place and you came first. Although this opinion of mine will be arguable, I do honestly believe luck plays a huge factor. Come on, one cannot deny Katy Perry is not the MOST talented of singers, it's all about momentum.

I hope you read all this, if you don't then......well, I'll just jump off a cliff in embarrassment.......

I'll shut up now.
(edited 9 years ago)
The only difference between an 'average' kid and an 'intelligent' kid is that one has been told that they are bright and exceptional.

Honestly. When you tell someone they are intelligent and give positive reinforcement, things click alot faster for them. If you treat someone like they are slow, they will think they are struggling. You do have that 'magic gene', you just haven't had someone help unlock it for you.
Reply 17
Original post by fandom-queen

I'll shut up now.

Yes, you do that.
Reply 18
Original post by coffeecakey
The only difference between an 'average' kid and an 'intelligent' kid is that one has been told that they are bright and exceptional.

Honestly. When you tell someone they are intelligent and give positive reinforcement, things click alot faster for them. If you treat someone like they are slow, they will think they are struggling. You do have that 'magic gene', you just haven't had someone help unlock it for you.

Science is so badly flawed. If I am treated like I am slow I might realise I need to work harder but positive reinforcement would only hinder me as it would probably be, to me free pass to do nothing. It's about working for yourself not for others.
Original post by Shadoo
Science is so badly flawed. If I am treated like I am slow I might realise I need to work harder but positive reinforcement would only hinder me as it would probably be, to me free pass to do nothing. It's about working for yourself not for others.

You underestimate the impact of praise.

Praise can do powerful things, particularly for young people. Praise can lift them up, give them courage, drive them to work higher. Praise in a workplace motivates people to do their jobs better or at least with a happier attitude (and ultimately, happiness is more important).

Adults who fail to praise students when praise is due, can stunt their confidence. I'm not saying everyone should be getting gold star stickers and trophies. Positive reinforcement has nothing to do with a 'free pass' or 'false reward'... positive reinforcement is recognizing a student's strengths. Simple as.