The Student Room Group

What do you actually do on Christmas day?

I'm just wondering if I'm the only one here who gets a little bored during the day?

All our extended family live far away, so it's usually just me, mum, dad and my sister. We wake up, have breakfast together, go to church. When we get back it's about 1pm. From 1pm onwards, everything just slows down - we have Christmas lunch/dinner and watch a film. I swear by about 3pm, everything is just boring, there's nothing to do.

We can end up watching about 2-3 films in the day, just for time to pass. Games are boring because my mum doesn't understand the rules to anything, and usually I just get shouted at for no real reason.

I feel like we are just forced to be with each other making small talk because no one has anything in common with anyone. My parents don't drink so it's not like I can use alcohol to make the time go faster. When I was younger, it was very normal for me to just go to my room and revise - because like what else is there to do?!

Does anyone else have this? What do you actually do on Christmas day? Is there ever a point where you're bored?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Eat pizza and drink beer whilst playing video games.

Normally too drunk to be bored.
Original post by Reue

A traditional Christmas right there. :lol:

I don't get bored nah. Similarly, my family go to church then get back, open all presents, have breakfast. It's about 1ish by then, usually watch things like Charlie Brown Xmas Special, The Snowman, Top Of The Pops, Queens Speech and maybe an Xmas film etc whilst drinking and snacking and preparing Xmas dinner. Usually eat that about 5ish, then after that watch Doctor Who, Eastenders, then a film or 2 more whilst drinking more :moon:
Reply 3
Original post by Reue

seconded
Reply 4
Original post by Precious Illusions
A traditional Christmas right there. :lol:

Parents moved abroad, siblings apread out across the country.

It's pretty much the one day of the year that I actually get to myself so I like being uber anti-social :biggrin:
Original post by Reue
Parents moved abroad, siblings apread out across the country.

It's pretty much the one day of the year that I actually get to myself so I like being uber anti-social :biggrin:

Makes sense :redface: I don't think I'd ever want a non traditional Christmas though tbh. :moon:
Reply 6
I don't think I'd ever want a non traditional Christmas though tbh. :moon:

Then you havn't experienced Christmas day in Australia spent on Bondi Beach :wink:
Original post by Reue
Then you havn't experienced Christmas day in Australia spent on Bondi Beach :wink:

I can't stand warm weather so I'd probably hate it :tongue:
Reply 8
I can't stand warm weather so I'd probably hate it :tongue:

Sit in the shade
I'll probably just go out for a walk somewhere after opening presents. When you're a kid you spend most of the day at home with presents but that stops as you get older, unless you get something really special.
Wake up, we don't really get up that early for Christmas any more so probably around 11am maybe 12 if we're being lazy. Collect the presents from under the tree and put them in bags to take to my brothers house as we spend Christmas day there. Do the usual greetings, get ourselves a drink mum will usually have wine and the rest of usually beer. Then we will start opening presents around the tree with something christmassy on the telly whilst dinner is cooking. Then we eat dinner and chill in front of the TV, drinking and eating various things like desserts and cheese until we are tired then we go to sleep.
Usually we travel Christmas Eve to stay with family, open some presents first thing Christmas morning, go to church, have lunch, open more presents with extended family - cousins, grandparents etc, do our annual traditional quiz which my dad or I put together, involving things that have been in the news over the year (not as sad as it sounds!!) maybe watch the Queen's speech if we remember, the boys/men watch Dr Who while the girls get the tea sorted (not a sexist thing, just the boys like Dr Who and the girls don't!) have tea (left over turkey, pork pie, salad, cheese, bread, sweet things) when Dr Who finishes, maybe play a game or two as a whole family, or watch something on tv. Not boring at all.
Wake up.
Open presents.
Watch TV.
Make dinner.
Eat dinner.
More TV.
Bed.

Boring but nice.
Eat. Drink. Open presents and eat some more. Feel bloated. Sleep.
Reply 14
I go to Mass; start making lunch; the ceremony of presentation of gifts (if any) - which my Dad calls "Christmas", lunch, watch the Queen, bit of conversation, bed.
Eat chocolate and watch Christmas telly. :redface:
Original post by Reue

That is actually my dream.. subbing the beer for cider/vodka

Damn family commitments..

seriously though, I just sit around bored.
Reply 17
Original post by abbiemac
That is actually my dream.. subbing the beer for cider/vodka

I sometimes do :wink:

Living the dream :biggrin:
Church in the morning, then to the pub for a quick drink, then home for presents, then dinner. After that it's normally just a bit of a piss up at ours, we get some really very expensive Belgian beers and nice wine in and everyone just sits around chatting and watching reruns of Only Fools and Horses and Xmas films like Its a Wonderful life.

After that probably just look forward to Boxing day footie
(edited 9 years ago)
I like the idea of Christmas far more than I like the actual day. Don't get me wrong I am no Scrooge. I enjoy it but it's always a bit of a let down for me anyway.

On the actual day I like to be at home but have also been at the homes of friends and family. That's what it is all about. Spending time with the people we love.

In particular Christmas is magic for children so I love seeing younger family members who still believe. Mum tried to keep the magic for me for a bit longer by taking me to Lapland to see "the real Santa" when I was about 7 :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest