The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by luke829
Liverpool finished 2nd in the league, they were the most exciting team in the league, meanwhile Arsenal finished 4th, like always, besides that Liverpool are arguably the biggest team in England with United, and Arsenal are behind those 2 giants.

It's all about money, do you really think Nasri, Aguero, etc joined City for their amazing history? NO, they moved there because they were paid 180k, 200k, 250k a week, I don't know how much, but a lot... Liverpool refused to pay Sanchez's wages, and that's why he is at Arsenal and not at Liverpool

Liverpool offered higher wages but he didn't budge, his mind (or perhaps his wife's) was already made up.
Original post by luke829
Liverpool finished 2nd in the league, they were the most exciting team in the league, meanwhile Arsenal finished 4th, like always, besides that Liverpool are arguably the biggest team in England with United, and Arsenal are behind those 2 giants.

It's all about money, do you really think Nasri, Aguero, etc joined City for their amazing history? NO, they moved there because they were paid 180k, 200k, 250k a week, I don't know how much, but a lot... Liverpool refused to pay Sanchez's wages, and that's why he is at Arsenal and not at Liverpool

They offered him more money than Arsenal did though :dontknow:

I doubt foreign players pay much attention to the Premier League, Dani Alves didn't know who Manchester City were last season.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
No he chose LONDON over Liverpool, the city, not the team.

So you think the likes of Chelsea and Tottenham didn't think about signing him?

He chose Arsenal over Liverpool FC.
Original post by sr90

I doubt foreign players pay much attention to the Premier League, Dani Alves didn't know who Manchester City were last season.

I doubt it, and if we did we should have offered him more. And I don't understand why didn't we ask for Sanchez in the Suarez deal, 40M + Sanchez was a lot better than 75M for Suarez, we spend that money on potential anyway..

All this bull**** about 'squad depth', yes it's fine to have a lot of players, but 15 quality players is a lot better than 22 sh*t players, we should have never bought Lambert, Balotelli, Markovic (for that price at least), Lovren (20M and Kolo, a free agent is better than him), Lallana (16M, not more than that).

20M on Lovren
25M on Lallana
16M on Balotelli
20M on Markovic
4M on Lambert (3rd choice, not 1st choice)
= 85M

85M spent on average players, we should have bought 2 world class players, not 5 average players... Lovren bench, Lallana rotation, Balotelli benched by 32 yo Lambert, Markovic bench, Lambert our world class striker.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Monsieur Gamma
So you think the likes of Chelsea and Tottenham didn't think about signing him?

He chose Arsenal over Liverpool FC.

Tottenham dont have CL, Chelsea didn't go for Sanchez as they already got Fabregas and Costa and they have FFP to think about.

The city is "part" of the team else he would be living in London and playing for Liverpool...

Geographical location is only 1 of many reasons why he chose Arsenal over Liverpool. How many world class players have Liverpool signed in the last 25 years?
Original post by sr90

That's not correct. He said he had heard of Manchester City a couple of years ago but didn't know there were 2 clubs in Manchester <implies he's pretty dense.

Atletico Madrid + Real Madrid ;?

He signed for Arsenal over Liverpool. You guys need to really stop using that as an excuse now. It's getting old. I'm sure location was a bonus but of course other elements will undoubtedly have come into it as well.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by luke829
I doubt it, and if we did we should have offered him more. And I don't understand why didn't we ask for Sanchez in the Suarez deal, 40M + Sanchez was a lot better than 75M for Suarez, we spend that money on potential anyway..

All this bull**** about 'squad depth', yes it's fine to have a lot of players, but 15 quality players is a lot better than 22 sh*t players, we should have never bought Lambert, Balotelli, Markovic (for that price at least), Lovren (20M and Kolo, a free agent is better than him), Lallana (16M, not more than that).

20M on Lovren
25M on Lallana
16M on Balotelli
20M on Markovic
= 85M

85M spent on average players, we should have bought 2 world class players, not 5 average players... Lovren bench, Lallana rotation, Balotelli benched by 32 yo Lambert, Markovic bench, Lambert our world class striker.

We DID ask for Sanchez in the deal but he DIDN'T WANT TO play for Liverpool. In fact even if there were no other suitors, he wouldn't play for Liverpool. Barcelona LOST money because Sanchez didn't want to go to Liverpool.

Gosh fellow Liverpool fans can be so fickle - do you honestly think any manager let alone Rodgers wouldn't try to sign world class players given the opportunity? You need to accept Liverpool aren't succeeding because it's in a vicious cycle of competing for champions league qualification and competing for titles etc. Putting the blame solely on the manager is daft.
Original post by luke829

20M on Lovren
25M on Lallana
16M on Balotelli
20M on Markovic
= 85M

Balotelli isn't world class? :confused:
Original post by Mackay
Rumours of AVB being linked with Rodgers' job is so disrespectful. The man hasn't achieved anything.

Rodgers deserves time - fact. Balotelli already being lined up for a summer transfer away. Some club will obvs take a punt on him, but I'd expect it to be someone of Newcastle's level. He's certainly not CL standard anymore.

Re AVB - the papers need to sell by printing crap. I wouldn't read into any of it until confirmed or speculated in the Echo.

I think Rodgers will get more time unless he really underachieves. The owners aren't trigger happy but they know when to make a change.

I imagine Balotelli will be loaned out in the summer and then sold the year after.

Original post by sr90
Liverpool cannot match City, Chelsea or United in terms of wages, however Arsenal aren't exactly known for paying huge wages either. That hasn't stopped them dipping into the market.

How do you know this? Liverpool had just sold their best player, he'd probably never heard of their manager or most of their squad. Living in London obviously has its appeal but it's hard to think of one area where Liverpool are better than Arsenal right now. Is it that inconceivable to suggest that he just picked the better team?

I honestly don't see why people think they have to defend their club against every comment. The reality is that Arsenal are currently more stable than Liverpool and the squad looked more likely to challenge than Liverpool did.

Original post by Barlow
Just seen the Napoli board are very unimpressed with Rafa's campaign in Serie A so far this season. He is also out of contract at the end of this season, could a great return happen?

I would love it and I think he'd bring a strong spine back to the Liverpool side. The only thing he was really lacking was funds when he needed to make the final push. Very different style of football to Rodgers though. I'm not sure the fans would appreciate it so much after seeing the flair that Rodgers has enabled.

Original post by luke829

Except we sold our best player in the summer?

Pretty sure we offered as much/more money than Arsenal to Barca and the player. Sanchez is already loaded.

Original post by samir12
Liverpool offered higher wages but he didn't budge, his mind (or perhaps his wife's) was already made up.

You can see the draw to London, to play under Wenger etc
So far Arsenal are doing better so it's not like he's been wrong in his thought process.

Original post by luke829

20M on Lovren
25M on Lallana
16M on Balotelli
20M on Markovic
= 85M

Pretty sure the player refused to be part of the deal. We would've received less money too imo as they would've just inflated the Sanchez fee.

Your assumption is flawed as you assume having 15 great players would mean 22 crap players. It's more like having 10 great players then chosing between only having 5 more great players or adding anther 10 players of varying quality. Considering we could have potentially played over 60 games this season, you're a fool if you think having 15 players is enough. What happens when you have injuries?

Markovic is meant to be a star in the making. If he becomes world class in 2-5 years, are you then going to bitch about the fee? You'll call it a bargain then.
Original post by Zerforax
Re AVB - the papers need to sell by printing crap. I wouldn't read into any of it until confirmed or speculated in the Echo.

I think Rodgers will get more time unless he really underachieves. The owners aren't trigger happy but they know when to make a change.

I imagine Balotelli will be loaned out in the summer and then sold the year after.

I honestly don't see why people think they have to defend their club against every comment. The reality is that Arsenal are currently more stable than Liverpool and the squad looked more likely to challenge than Liverpool did.

I would love it and I think he'd bring a strong spine back to the Liverpool side. The only thing he was really lacking was funds when he needed to make the final push. Very different style of football to Rodgers though. I'm not sure the fans would appreciate it so much after seeing the flair that Rodgers has enabled.

Except we sold our best player in the summer?

Pretty sure we offered as much/more money than Arsenal to Barca and the player. Sanchez is already loaded.

You can see the draw to London, to play under Wenger etc
So far Arsenal are doing better so it's not like he's been wrong in his thought process.

Pretty sure the player refused to be part of the deal. We would've received less money too imo as they would've just inflated the Sanchez fee.

Your assumption is flawed as you assume having 15 great players would mean 22 crap players. It's more like having 10 great players then chosing between only having 5 more great players or adding anther 10 players of varying quality. Considering we could have potentially played over 60 games this season, you're a fool if you think having 15 players is enough. What happens when you have injuries?

Markovic is meant to be a star in the making. If he becomes world class in 2-5 years, are you then going to bitch about the fee? You'll call it a bargain then.

Now we are going to lose to Basel (I hope not), and everything will be like before, United competing for the title, City and Chelsea too, Arsenal are crap now but they have to get better or they will sack Wenger.

I don't mind buying Markovic's, but to buy Markovic's we should be worried about our XI first... XI then the 'squad depth'

Everyone looked better with a worldclass player (Suarez) and a top player (Sturridge) in our team, the midfielders looked great, we were in the title race with Flanagan as our LB, etc... We didn't care if we conceded 3 because we scored 6, now our strikers are not here, we can't create anything, we have many inexperienced players, many average players, and teams like WHU, Newcastle, Swansea are above us. You can't expect to finish top 4 when your best player is a 20 yo and your best striker is injured all the time.

What im trying to say is that we should be worried about our XI, buy players who improve our team, not 40m players but players like Lacazette, Bony, etc who make an immediate impact in our team, not for 2-3 years more...

Can you explain to me why didn't we buy Bony or Remy instead of Balotelli? he has scored 0 goals in the premier league!!! he doesn't care about the team, he just walks around there, you can do that if you are good but he isn't good.

Lambert, a 4m player has scored more goals, runs more (he's 32) and puts more enthusiasm than him...

Look at all the money we spent, spend and will continue to spend, and all that money will be spent on average and overpriced players, I don't mind paying 16M for a Lallana type of player if we spend 40M on a Sanchez type of player...

We don't have a leader in our team, Gerrard is a top player but we can't rely on a 34 year old to carry our team, he doesn't have the legs anymore, he should be used like a Pirlo, the only difference is that Pirlo have top players around him to do the work for him (Vidal, Pogba) and we have Henderson, Allen, etc...
(edited 9 years ago)
Pirlo plays way less minutes than Gerrard plays at the moment.
A Mysterious Lord has really rustled some jimmies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just been watching Joe Allen's press conference pre-Basel. **** me, he's boring. Where've all the characters in the game gone?
Original post by Mackay
Just been watching Joe Allen's press conference pre-Basel. **** me, he's boring. Where've all the characters in the game gone?

Link?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zerforax

I’ll admit that even I am slightly disappointed that Markovic hasn’t made a similar impact in his first few months at Liverpool like his did in his first few months at Benfica. But I still believe that in time you lot will see what I watched during his season in Portugal.

I know it’s only a small thing but I also feel what possibly helped him settle into life at Benfica so quickly was he had the help of five other Serbians around him, so surely that had some part to play in it, especially with him leaving his country at a young age.

As for the price tag we all know us Portuguese throw in an extra couple of Euros to every player we sell, but I say give it another year or two and people won’t even mention the cost of him being ridiculous.

I know people say our league is awful and anyone can make such a positive impact but when watching him he had that something extra which made him stand out from the others around him. I just think he needs time, which also makes me feel he left Benfica that one season too soon as he would still be getting a regular first team place which could have only helped him to continue learning and improving his game at this present moment, which is what you need at this young age. But if that was the case you’d probably have to pay another £10m-£20m on top of what you paid for him. I just think a bit of patience is all you need with regards to this guy and he'll get there.
AFC Wimbledon away R3 FA cup.
Original post by ra-ra-ra
I’ll admit that even I am slightly disappointed that Markovic hasn’t made a similar impact in his first few months at Liverpool like his did in his first few months at Benfica. But I still believe that in time you lot will see what I watched during his season in Portugal.

I know it’s only a small thing but I also feel what possibly helped him settle into life at Benfica so quickly was he had the help of five other Serbians around him, so surely that had some part to play in it, especially with him leaving his country at a young age.

As for the price tag we all know us Portuguese throw in an extra couple of Euros to every player we sell, but I say give it another year or two and people won’t even mention the cost of him being ridiculous.

I know people say our league is awful and anyone can make such a positive impact but when watching him he had that something extra which made him stand out from the others around him. I just think he needs time, which also makes me feel he left Benfica that one season too soon as he would still be getting a regular first team place which could have only helped him to continue learning and improving his game at this present moment, which is what you need at this young age. But if that was the case you’d probably have to pay another £10m-£20m on top of what you paid for him. I just think a bit of patience is all you need with regards to this guy and he'll get there.

I agree with you. Tbh the track record at Benfica and Porto is pretty good. Was pretty spot on with the assessment of Matic as well.

Hear Chelsea are looking at one of Benfica's attacking mids. Anderson Talisca has scored like 8 goals in 12 games. You know much of this player? Do you think he'll be like Atsu and forever on loan?

Quick Reply

Latest