The Student Room Group

New People and the Community Guidelines

Hello all,

A new person was recently given a warning for advertising on TSR. He came to Ask A Mod to query what was wrong but he also noted receiving the warning was the first time he'd been able to find the Community Guidelines.

What do new people get in terms of guidance to being part of TSR? Is this something that can be improved on? I must admit, until I just double checked the links at the bottom of the page, I usually go to Google to find them...

Thanks!

Mike
Original post by mikeyd85
Hello all,

A new person was recently given a warning for advertising on TSR. He came to Ask A Mod to query what was wrong but he also noted receiving the warning was the first time he'd been able to find the Community Guidelines.

What do new people get in terms of guidance to being part of TSR? Is this something that can be improved on? I must admit, until I just double checked the links at the bottom of the page, I usually go to Google to find them...

Thanks!

Mike

Good point Mike, the whole guidelines area is desperately out of date.
Reply 2
Hi,

Mike asked me to drop my feedback in this thread.

When I join a new forum I look for the rules (I realise I'm possibly in the minority in actually looking for the rules though!), and I generally look for something like:

* A link to the rules on the confirmation screen after signing up
* An "Information" forum
* Ctrl+F on the home page of the forum for "rules"
* Failing the above, guidelines stickied on the particular board I'm posting on

I did eventually find the rules linked to from the bottom of the FAQs which was in turn linked to in my welcome PM - but to be completely honest I generally ignore welcome PMs on a forum unless they are shoved in my face, because 9 times out of 10 they are not helpful, and don't contain any links.

Something I've seen on some forums which I think is helpful is a link to the rules on page when you're adding a new topic. "Have you read our rules? Any questions - ask us here." sort of thing. Some of them even have the most frequently broken rules right there on the page.

Hope this helps,

Heather
Perhaps a sticky or an announcement in the Welcome Lounge would be a good place to start?
Original post by Captain Jack
Good point Mike, the whole guidelines area is desperately out of date.

I'm assuming that the new Community Guidelines is the thing that people are referring to.

I see that when you sign up on the site it takes you to the old link: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/faq.php?faq=rules

Could you not just switch the link and discontinue this page: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=2707-community-guidelines

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending