The Student Room Group

Air Cadets - Demotion, some info please?

Hi there.

I'm a Cadet Flight Sergeant in the Air Training Corps, but I have been told by my CO that she is going to demote me to Sergeant.

Now this has just come out of the blue, and I had no prior offical warning. I just wondered, (because obviously I've never had to face something like this) what the rules are with demotion?

Does my CO have to give me an official warning (e.g. You have 3 weeks to sort it out, or face demotion), or can she just demote without warning? My CO gave me reasons to why she was demoting me, but as a long serving cadet of 5 years, I believe I'm at least entitled to a trail period of three weeks as a Flight Sergeant to show I can still pull my weight.

Thoughts? Advice? It would be much appreciated. Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

What were the reasons she gave for the demotion? I've never heard of anyone in cadets getting demoted before, especially someone whos been in cadets for such a long time...
Reply 2
Wish I could help, but I only really know ACF procedure.
Reply 3
Just as you can get promoted with no warning, you can get demoted too.

It's not common practise, though, because a demotion is still a fairly big deal. If your CO isn't prepared to talk to you about what you've 'done wrong' then they're clearly unfit for their position. Are you sure there's nothing that's happened recently that has swayed their opinion?

You can't guarantee to change their mind, but you'd at least hear why.
AlopexShikari
Hi there.

I'm a Cadet Flight Sergeant in the Air Training Corps, but I have been told by my CO that she is going to demote me to Sergeant.

Now this has just come out of the blue, and I had no prior offical warning. I just wondered, (because obviously I've never had to face something like this) what the rules are with demotion?

Does my CO have to give me an official warning (e.g. You have 3 weeks to sort it out, or face demotion), or can she just demote without warning? My CO gave me reasons to why she was demoting me, but as a long serving cadet of 5 years, I believe I'm at least entitled to a trail period of three weeks as a Flight Sergeant to show I can still pull my weight.

Thoughts? Advice? It would be much appreciated. Thanks :smile:

It's a youth organisation, there's not exactly 'employment rights', I did just as long as you in the ACF, just because I was there for a long time didn't entitle me to any special priviledges, it's the COs choice as to how the runs her squadron (or whatever the ATC equiv. of a Company is).

Man up and take it, then get your head down and work back up for it.

soutioirsim
What were the reasons she gave for the demotion? I've never heard of anyone in cadets getting demoted before, especially someone whos been in cadets for such a long time...

He said his CO gave him reasons so I'm assuming he just doesn't want to say. Also, are you serious, I've seen loads of cadets get busted, mainly lance jacks though.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
I knew only of 1 guy ever getting demoted, well we were flying in a chinook and he been pressing wrong buttons :biggrin:
My CO gave me reasons to why she was demoting me

which were............
Reply 7
Come on dude, I know that you worked hard to get up to Flight. But without a reason/what you did that was naughty we can't help.

One thing from me, don't take the Cadets that seriously, turn up enjoy the benefits, If you feel they're buggering you about, vote with your feet, hand over your 3822, dump your uniform on the floor, and then tell the CO if you're still getting demoted. Thats what I did when I wasn't going to get past Corporal, it didn't work though and I ended up leaving, but didn't care as they needed me more than I needed them and I'd had an enjoyable 4 years of being a member.

One fella at my squadron got demoted for slagging off the CO on a forum, saying that she shouldn't have promoted a certain individual so fast. Oooh, not done.
wly
One thing from me, don't take the Cadets that seriously, turn up enjoy the benefits, If you feel they're buggering you about, vote with your feet, hand over your 3822, dump your uniform on the floor, and then tell the CO if you're still getting demoted. Thats what I did when I wasn't going to get past Corporal, it didn't work though and I ended up leaving, but didn't care as they needed me more than I needed them and I'd had an enjoyable 4 years of being a member.

OP, you can use example 1 (seen above) to work out how not to act in this situation. Throwing your toys out of the pram simply won't work.

A few things I'd like to point out:

- One cadet is never the crux of the Sqn. Cadets (often SNCOs) regularly think that without them, the Sqn will fail to operate. This simply isn't true, and if one does believe it to be; then they need to get over themselves.

- You need to insist to your CO that she tells you why she's demoting you. If she refuses, then I don't know about you, but I don't think I'd want to spend much more time at her Sqn. I'd maybe consider contacting Wing about it if things got worse.

- If she does tell you, just take it on the chin and move on. Often it's lack of attendance, but sometimes it's other reasons (I once knew a Sgt who was demoted to Cpl because he made a rather "rotund" Cdt eat an apple on camp....all of the apple....even the stalk.) But whatever reason it is, it should be pretty clear to you.

- If it's all getting too much, just leave. Cadets is something to be enjoyed, and enjoyment can wear off. If you look at yourself and realise you're no longer enjoying it, maybe it's time to leave.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Oh and:

dump your uniform on the floor

Please don't do this, the uniform is only on loan to you.

P.S. I've just read through my post and realised I look like someone who's really bitter about the cadet forces. Hm. Well, although I had a few sour points, I actually really really enjoyed my time in the ACO :biggrin:
Reply 9
Use this forum and specific thread as an aid for your thoughts.

I mis read your post originally. It appears your CO has reasons. If that's the case then tough, it's going to happen.
Jesus wept.
Reply 11
ouch man unlucky .. when i was flt sgt i was threatened to be demoted but it was all a joke ... hated my CO .. although our CIs were legends
Reply 12
Ok, gently return your uniform to stores.
wly
Ok, gently return your uniform to stores.

Good lad.
Reply 14
hahaha
Reply 15
Hi there and thank you to all the people who replied. Unfortunately I went and made the decision to leave a couple of weeks ago, and I've only just read these responses today :s-smilie:

Nevertheless, I really appreciate the advice and thank you very much.

As I mentioned, I actually left the squadron about a week after my CO said she was going to demote me. Now don't get me wrong I didn't leave out of spite or anger, it was a carefully made decision. I sat down and made a list of advantages and disadvantages of staying as a Sergeant...and needless to say, the disadvantages far outweighed the advantages.

The current CO has been at the squadron for five months now, and since she started, she turned the squadron upside down to the point where it's incredibly unorganised. I mean, we would get told what we were doing for the next parade night and were told to not worry about organising anything because it had been sorted. Then we would turn up next parade night and she would ask me what we were doing tonight! Of course I would say what she told us last parade night, she'd then have a go at me for not having anything prepared and I would have to go make something up on the spot! The communication from the CO to the staff and down to the cadets was terrible.

Someone mentioned about why would you continue doing something you no longer enjoy? Which sums it up very nicely. I just wasn't enjoying cadet anymore, especially with this new CO. To put it bluntly, cadets had before a chore rather than something pleasurable. I've achieved everything I wanted to achieve, so it seems like a good time to move on. Just wasn't the way I expected to leave...kind of feel like I've been forced out.

I've applied to the RAF now and I'm working toward my Mountain Leaders Award so it's not all bad. The shock to me was the sudden lack of routine, and having days go by where I just didn't do anything.

But all's well now. Thank again for the advice everyone (even though I didn't actually read it 'til now :s-smilie: ).
Fair enough, it's your life and your decision at the end of the day.
Sweetheart, you're on a forum for careers advice for the Armed Forces, where current, ex and potential serving members can chat, swap stories and advice.

No one gives a flying fornication about your troubles with your local youth club. Poke off.
hi could I ask a question does anyone know how or when there's anothe basic cadets course, the one you rake at 17 3/4 as my son was sick and couldn't attend at the weekend due to illness and has Bn told he will have to leave I the spring. He lives in leicestershire but is willing to go to get the course done
Original post by 1978erikam
hi could I ask a question does anyone know how or when there's anothe basic cadets course, the one you rake at 17 3/4 as my son was sick and couldn't attend at the weekend due to illness and has Bn told he will have to leave I the spring. He lives in leicestershire but is willing to go to get the course done

Get in touch with his wing hq, nobody here will have the first clue.

Latest