The Student Room Group

Advice for applying to AFP (medical education) for 2016?

I am in my penultimate year of uni (currently intercalating) and am strongly considering applying to the academic foundation programme for medical education tracks.

I've read the booklets on the UKFPO website and glanced at the AFP thread here. What I wanted to ask here was advice regarding preparation I should be doing with a year to go until applying. I don't know anyone at my university personally who is currently doing an AFP track. What are they generally looking for when shortlisting applicants or interview? I have been involved in extra-curricular activities with the med school involving teaching and education jobs every year since first year; presented at a conference and will be presenting again later next year; and I'm currently awaiting approval for a MedEd-related publication from a journal which I am hoping will be successful. I am also doing an intercalation year in a masters. I know AFP tracks are super competitive so I wonder if this would be enough! I do not know my EPM yet.

I am hoping to apply to North Western/Merseyside/Yorkshire and Humber. Can anyone offer some advice? I just don't want to be caught out with an inadequate application at the last minute if there is something I could be doing now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(edited 9 years ago)
Have you had a look at the national person specification? Some deaneries have also published their local shortlisting criteria; the Thames breakdown, for example, is explicit.

Personally, I wouldn't do anything differently to what you're already doing (which I suspect you knew already...)
Reply 2
Original post by Blatant Troll
Have you had a look at the national person specification? Some deaneries have also published their local shortlisting criteria; the Thames breakdown, for example, is explicit.

Personally, I wouldn't do anything differently to what you're already doing (which I suspect you knew already...)

I have looked at the person spec but they are just similar to the normal FP person specs? I'll have a look for shortlisting criteria.

You're not wrong, but some deaneries embellish the generic spiel with specific extras, e.g. Northern AFP (person spec is on their landing page). The in depth Thames 2015 shortlisting is here (page 7 onwards). I think Thames are pretty much alone in being this extra, though happy to be corrected. You've already one-upped me and most other interviewees with the masters :cool: (respect to the PhD guys). But do round your application where you see fit and make sure all the boxes are ticked
Form what you describe, I think you have more than a good enough CV to get you shortlisted at any of the deaneries you listed.
I've got an interview at Northwestern this year and I've not intercalated, don't have any extra degrees, no pubmed-ID publications, and minimal teaching experience. All I have is a top decile score, 2 end-of-year distinctions, 3 prizes, 2 posters, and one abstract published as part of conference proceedings (not on pubmed).

You still have a year to go so you realistically you still can get more posters or publications. Even if you're not starting new projects you can get a case report published. But I reckon with your masters, posters, and anticipated publication you should be in good stead to get shortlisted for those deaneries.
Reply 5
Original post by The Only Rivo
Form what you describe, I think you have more than a good enough CV to get you shortlisted at any of the deaneries you listed.
I've got an interview at Northwestern this year and I've not intercalated, don't have any extra degrees, no pubmed-ID publications, and minimal teaching experience. All I have is a top decile score, 2 end-of-year distinctions, 3 prizes, 2 posters, and one abstract published as part of conference proceedings (not on pubmed).

You still have a year to go so you realistically you still can get more posters or publications. Even if you're not starting new projects you can get a case report published. But I reckon with your masters, posters, and anticipated publication you should be in good stead to get shortlisted for those deaneries.

Are you applying for med ed also or research? I know for sure I don't have a top decile honestly I'm pretty middle of the road! No distinctions/honours/prizes from exams.

Reply 6
Original post by Blatant Troll
You're not wrong, but some deaneries embellish the generic spiel with specific extras, e.g. Northern AFP (person spec is on their landing page). The in depth Thames 2015 shortlisting is here (page 7 onwards). I think Thames are pretty much alone in being this extra, though happy to be corrected. You've already one-upped me and most other interviewees with the masters :cool: (respect to the PhD guys). But do round your application where you see fit and make sure all the boxes are ticked

Thank you!

Original post by HotCoco.

I am hoping to apply to North Western/Merseyside/Yorkshire and Humber. Can anyone offer some advice? I just don't want to be caught out with an inadequate application at the last minute if there is something I could be doing now.

Which is your first-choice job?

Think you'll be fine with your CV.
Reply 8
Original post by Hydromancer
Which is your first-choice job?

Think you'll be fine with your CV.

They are in order of preference so an education track in North Western is my first choice.

They are in order of preference so an education track in North Western is my first choice.

I meant from these http://www.nwpgmd.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/15-17%20Academic%20Vacancies%20WEBSITE_0.pdf

The tracks haven't really changed much in the last 2 years.
Reply 10
I meant from these http://www.nwpgmd.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/15-17%20Academic%20Vacancies%20WEBSITE_0.pdf

Sorry, the link is not working for me!

Are you applying for med ed also or research? I know for sure I don't have a top decile honestly I'm pretty middle of the road! No distinctions/honours/prizes from exams.

I would only accept research posts so ranked those first.

Although you don't have a top decile score, I think a master's and a proper publication will make up for that, if not exceed it.
Reply 12

Bolton's education track. Although track number 3 in East lanc's would be ideal if it weren't a leadership programme because of O&G.

Bolton's education track. Although track number 3 in East lanc's would be ideal if it weren't a leadership programme because of O&G.

Nice one! Don't worry too much about publications and deciles. Northwest really cares about those white space questions so as long as you nail those, you'd be ok.
Reply 14
Nice one! Don't worry too much about publications and deciles. Northwest really cares about those white space questions so as long as you nail those, you'd be ok.

Thanks Hydromancer. I remember you lurking around from when I was still in sixth form. Nice to see you :-)

Reply 15
Original post by The Only Rivo
I would only accept research posts so ranked those first.

Although you don't have a top decile score, I think a master's and a proper publication will make up for that, if not exceed it.

I hope you're right. Publication is not guaranteed though until it's fully approved. I had a friend in her final year who had the nightmare of getting her only publication the day after she submitted her FPAS publication !

Thanks Hydromancer. I remember you lurking around from when I was still in sixth form. Nice to see you :-)

Yeah I remember we were all trying to get in. 5 years ago that was. Enjoy the masters... It's a great experience. You can get a lot done during the masters year. My cv would be a mess without it
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Yeah I remember we were all trying to get in. 5 years ago that was. Enjoy the masters... It's a great experience. You can get a lot done during the masters year. My cv would be a mess without it

I'm actually working part time during my masters to save money for elective/finals...I would like to do more academically but it's time and money constraints

I'm actually working part time during my masters to save money for elective/finals...I would like to do more academically but it's time and money constraints

Yeah, my masters hit my pocket hard.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending