The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
Massively agree. We saw last season that Sturridge was at risk of injuries so more than anything we just needed a top striker. There weren't many players available but still seems like we went hunting in the bargain bucket.

We should hire Rafa and get him to bring Higuian with him :colondollar:

It baffles me why we always seem to start actually playing in the last 15-20 minutes of the game, we would actually be winning games if we played like that for the full 90. We played better with 10 men, like wtf?
Original post by Deshi
This bloody team I swear, did the same against Sunderland, only show urgency in the last 10 minutes, ridiculous really. Didn't look like scoring before the Gerrard goal. Just a poor showing tbh, I don;t see why didn't have any striker on the bench, even if it's a youth player of some sort, we do the same thing every game. The definition of insanity is what I think of when watching Liverpool over these last few months, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome. Not going to happen. The incessant passing out the back, sticking players in that don't deserve it, taking players out who deserve to be in. Absolute cluster****.

On another note there is so much crap posted in this thread from opposition fans, I can;t even tell if it's an attempt at being a WUM, maybe sarcasm/who knows. The quality of posting on this forum has gone to ****, summed up by the fact that a mod of the section chats more crap than anyone else. You can only handle this place in small doses nowadays.

I can't work out why that is or do the opposition just start to sit back?

Rodgers is starting to become very stubborn with his decisions.

Did anyone see Rodgers talking to the press? He's going to get fined for that!
Well done Basel, deserved to go through more than Liverpool or Ludogorets. Annoying that Gerrard's goal cost me £30 but just happy for the boys to be honest. 5 wins in a row against English opposition. 2nd time they've knocked Liverpool out of the Champions League, can't fault them.
I'll post my thoughts on the match tomorrow. Will just get lost in all the dross tonight (although who knows, maybe my thoughts are dross too :colondollar:)
So all the WUMs/opposition fans who may have watched the match - was it a red card for Markovic? Or was it a poor decision?
So all the WUMs/opposition fans who may have watched the match - was it a red card for Markovic? Or was it a poor decision?

It was a red, very stupid for Markovic to do that. The player made a meal out of it though even though he barely got touched which in the end forced the ref to send him off.

Literally didn't even touch him. Not a red card but when you wave your arm around like that you're asking for trouble.
Starting line up cost us tbh, we should have started with one of Coutinho/Lallana. We were too defensive and safe in the first half and there wasn't anyone with a creative spark to influence the game. First half was absolutely appalling considering it was a must win game.

We shouldn't have had that red card, it was at max a yellow. For the 15 mins Markovic played he looked really bright and exciting when he attacked with the ball. The last 20 mins is how we should be playing all the time, we looked like a threat and it was exciting to watch. Gerrard's goal was ****ing fantastic, who else apart from Gerrard to get a goal when it matters. Such a shame we couldn't get the second goal but at least the boys tried.

Overall it was a poor performance by the team bar the last 20 mins. Apart from Gerrard's goal he was pretty poor throughout with a lot of passes going wayward. Sterling had glimpses of being good but his final ball was abysmal, rarely he got the cross past the first man. In general we couldn't create and the tempo of the game was very slow. During the second half once we started speeding things up with Coutinho on the ball and having movement up ahead we looked so much more threatening.

I don't think Rodgers will get sacked halfway through the season. He still has my support and I'm convinced he will help us improve, this first half of the season has been a huge learning curve for him. I can only see him being sacked if we carry on with the poor performances throughout the 2nd half of the season and end up 6th/7th with no domestic/EL trophy. Sunday will be very important, if we can beat United at OT then we won't seem too far off 4th place. The Europa League looks like our most likely way of gaining entry to the CL, I say we go all out for it and prioritise it.

I honestly can't wait till Sturridge comes back. I still feel the team will improve instantly when he's fit and back in the starting XI. Such a shame he wasn't able to play a game in the CL since he did really well last season to help us get into it in the first place.

Basel fan here. It wasn't red, a yellow at most in my opinion. I think he caught him but that giving a red for that is crazy.

You can see why the ref has given it, but it was incredibly harsh. Basel player was rolling around on the ground when he hadn't been touched.

Samir, i've deleted 31 posts.
Original post by samir12
It was a red, very stupid for Markovic to do that. The player made a meal out of it though even though he barely got touched which in the end forced the ref to send him off.

Fair enough. I can't tell what he was trying to do. Was he trying to hit him in the face considering the ref was in front of him (not exactly subtle).

Or was he just trying to get an arm up to stop the playing coming across him and just misjudged where the opposition player was?

Can't tell if I have my rose tinted Liverpool glasses on or not :colondollar: The ITV team aren't any more impartial so hard to judge..
I can't work out why that is or do the opposition just start to sit back?

Rodgers is starting to become very stubborn with his decisions.

Did anyone see Rodgers talking to the press? He's going to get fined for that!

Both. Opposition sit back more but everyone in the team just seems so lethargic in their play up until the last 10 or so minutes. There's no belief in this team, if you want to even call it that, more like 11 individuals who every week look like they've never seen each other before. Allen and Lucas bumping into each other twice in the first 20 was funny as hell.
(edited 9 years ago)
GG

If you lash out at someone, whether you split their skull/jaw in half or the tip of your finger barely touches them, it's a red regardless.
Likewise, when a player goes in two-footed, regardless of the outcome ref's give a red without hesitation.
Original post by sr90
You can see why the ref has given it, but it was incredibly harsh. Basel player was rolling around on the ground when he hadn't been touched.

Cheers for that :biggrin:

Yh, Markovic looked one of our best player when he came on though which is why it was a massive shame he got sent off.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Literally didn't even touch him. Not a red card but when you wave your arm around like that you're asking for trouble.

I thought he caught him on the teeth perhaps but without any intent, hard to see why it's a red card.

Original post by The.Joker
Starting line up cost us tbh, we should have started with one of Coutinho/Lallana. We were too defensive and safe in the first half and there wasn't anyone with a creative spark to influence the game. First half was absolutely appalling considering it was a must win game.

We shouldn't have had that red card, it was at max a yellow. For the 15 mins Markovic played he looked really bright and exciting when he attacked with the ball. The last 20 mins is how we should be playing all the time, we looked like a threat and it was exciting to watch. Gerrard's goal was ****ing fantastic, who else apart from Gerrard to get a goal when it matters. Such a shame we couldn't get the second goal but at least the boys tried.

Overall it was a poor performance by the team bar the last 20 mins. Apart from Gerrard's goal he was pretty poor throughout with a lot of passes going wayward. Sterling had glimpses of being good but his final ball was abysmal, rarely he got the cross past the first man. In general we couldn't create and the tempo of the game was very slow. During the second half once we started speeding things up with Coutinho on the ball and having movement up ahead we looked so much more threatening.

I don't think Rodgers will get sacked halfway through the season. He still has my support and I'm convinced he will help us improve, this first half of the season has been a huge learning curve for him. I can only see him being sacked if we carry on with the poor performances throughout the 2nd half of the season and end up 6th/7th with no domestic/EL trophy. Sunday will be very important, if we can beat United at OT then we won't seem too far off 4th place. The Europa League looks like our most likely way of gaining entry to the CL, I say we go all out for it and prioritise it.

I honestly can't wait till Sturridge comes back. I still feel the team will improve instantly when he's fit and back in the starting XI. Such a shame he wasn't able to play a game in the CL since he did really well last season to help us get into it in the first place.

I think Rodgers wanted Gerrard in the side but then wanted Allen to control and couldn't drop Henderson who has great energy. All a bit bizzare - he's just putting players into the side instead of trying to get the best side (which is the sum of its parts).

Yea Gerrard was poor but he still continues to show the odd spark so it becomes tough to drop him again.

Nah FGS won't sack mid-season. Who would we even hire to replace? Pulis?

Well I've been saying for ages that Sturridge would fix stuff but more and more you see other cracks in the side.

Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
Basel fan here. It wasn't red, a yellow at most in my opinion. I think he caught him but that giving a red for that is crazy.

Fair enough

Original post by Eboracum
Moyeseh finished 7th doe, wonder where Brenda will finish doe.

Louis Van Ghoul. He is a very naughty boy.

Well he finished 2nd last season when Moyes finished 7th..

Original post by sr90

You would've thought the ref had the best view. Such a shame, it's the best we had seen Markovic play so far.
I honestly hope Lucas and Allen don't start again together on Sunday. In fact I hope they both don't start together, ever. I still think Allen isn't good enough for Liverpool, he barely presses, defends or attacks. Only god knows what he does in the centre of the pitch.

I'd love to see Can and Coutinho start on Sunday and that the team is more attack minded. None of this 'try to control the game for 80 mins and attack in the last 10' BS.

Well he finished 2nd last season when Moyes finished 7th..

Yeah but 2nd + 120M to outside the top 4 is bloody awful. Rodgers can't live off last year, he had to build on that this year for me.
Original post by Deshi
Both. Opposition sit back more but everyone in the team just seems so lethargic in their play up until the last 10 or so minutes. There's no belief in this team, if you want to even call it that, more like 11 individuals who every week look like they've never seen each other before. Allen and Lucas bumping into each other twice in the first 20 was funny as hell.

Well there seems to be a fear of trying to make a clever pass.

The biggest problem is that we've reverted to old type - no movement up front. Suarez and Sturridge finally fixed that but with neither playing, it's gone to pot again.

Allen doesn't seem to fit in with Gerrard or Lucas. Henderson isn't being played in the middle either.
We have depth though.... If depth means to play Lambert (4 matches in 10 days) and lads like Joe Allen against Basel, the most important match of the season, I'd rather not have depth.

Positives: Markovic looked better, Lovren finally showed some fight at the end, Gerrard scored.
Negatives: We don't know what we have to do

Quick Reply

Latest