The Student Room Group

Debate on Climate Change

This house believes developed countries have more of an obligation to combat climate change than developing countries.

For this motion I would oppose it. I believe the developing countries have a larger incentive to reduce emissions and combat climate change. Developing countries are expected to suffer the worst effects. The developing countries are outside temperate zones so will be affected most by rising temperatures. Developing countries are suffering insofar as infertile lands to grow crops to feed a growing population but the developing countries have money to invest in research to counter the problems climate change brings. The Malthusian Catastrophe still has not happened. The developed countries who can combat the effects have little to no incentive to combat the cause.

Politicians in developed countries respond to the will of the electorate. The electorate wants to maintain their high standard of living. The electorate shows little care for people thousands of miles away they have never met.
Reply 1
Original post by Nigel Farage MEP
This house believes developed countries have more of an obligation to combat climate change than developing countries.

For this motion I would oppose it. I believe the developing countries have a larger incentive to reduce emissions and combat climate change. Developing countries are expected to suffer the worst effects. The developing countries are outside temperate zones so will be affected most by rising temperatures. Developing countries are suffering insofar as infertile lands to grow crops to feed a growing population but the developing countries have money to invest in research to counter the problems climate change brings. The Malthusian Catastrophe still has not happened. The developed countries who can combat the effects have little to no incentive to combat the cause.

Politicians in developed countries respond to the will of the electorate. The electorate wants to maintain their high standard of living. The electorate shows little care for people thousands of miles away they have never met.

Botswana

No we don't have the money to combat climate change. We barely have enough money to keep two coal powered power stations running. As well as run a heavily subsidized healthcare system for 2 million people etc. So climate change is on the back of our minds. To add on to that, it has been proven that most developed countries produce the largest carbon footprint, and the carbon footprint of most developing countries is much smaller in comparison. So either developed countries invest in trimming their carbon footprint or face the consequences of dealing with the biggest humanitarian crisis known to man.
Reply 2
The Netherlands agrees with this motion all MEDC's and NIC's have to protect the environment more then LEDC's because they do more to damage the environment quite simply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending